DarkNark's System

Guest DarkNark

Guest DarkNark

So, a not very exciting update for the readers of this thread, but exciting for me none the less. :P

I followed this thread and decided to get some nice curtains and hopefully improve the acoustics of the room. Easy? Well it was actually once I found the right curtain maker. Unfortunately it took 5 months! Due to issues with the fabric, then the warehouse running out of the colour I wanted, then Christmas/ New Years blah blah blah, ?. The curtain lady was very apologetic and on more than one occasion offered my deposit back.  But good things come to those who wait. ?

7343661D-3374-4525-AFB5-6996996C35EF.jpeg.f4553a9ba627ecad4dccce67f63eb5c1.thumb.jpeg.11d9bc9d27dba0aec488bcd4a1315f02.jpeg

Took the time to space out my Vicoustic Wavewood panels a little as well.

IMG_0064.thumb.jpeg.2e769bb56d5e1c88aa4dd7e9e9bef407.jpeg

So that will be the best I can do with all the glass in the room. :)

Guest DarkNark
On 18/01/2019 at 10:14 AM, katattack74 said:

Yep..those little warm glowing thingees do make a difference :)

A massive difference in my case ?

On 30/01/2019 at 7:16 AM, shogo33 said:

DId you end up getting a tubed preamp?

This post is for you, sorry have been a little snowed under and slow to update this thread, plus I have been enjoying my first foray into valves.

I found it quite difficult to get a good picture, I'll try get some better ones later.

IMG_0063.thumb.jpeg.e1d8b1beb6e3c01c462161b36cd2644c.jpeg

So I will try to describe my impressions as best I can, without gushing like a 5 year old on Christmas morning, also keep in mind that I am do not have the experience of a lot of the members here, so I will probably not be able to to wax lyrical about tight bass, extended highs etc etc.

First impressions? Meh........don't know what all the fuss is about. Keep listening. Eh? Whats happening? I am tempted to say "magic" but I won't. :P Bl@@dy hell this sounds pretty good. Is this my imagination? I was starting to doubt what I was hearing. Was I liking it because I paid x amount of dollars for it? 

Two weeks later it still blows me away, literally! Even though I know it sounds good to me and I expect it to sound good it still blows me away. Don't know how long it will last and my brain will be used to it, but this preamp surprises me every day. (Sorry, trying not to gush just finding it difficult to put into words)

My observations so far -

1. I wouldn't say that the soundstage is wider, but it is certainly deeper. The drummer is outside my house behind the wall so to speak.

2. When people describe "holographic" soundstages , depending on the recording this preamp has it it in spades. I sit 2.8 m from my speakers and Rammstiens "Du Hast" the rhythm guitar is literally 0.5m from me. The thunder in Tools' "10,000 days" sounds like it is to my direct left or right or even behind me. How is this possible? The first time I experienced this I just couldn't believe what I was hearing.

3. Cymbals sound precise, clean. Not sure I can describe that better.

4.Percussion instruments are nice and clean and have a real presence. 

5. Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing but the Supratek exposes poor recordings. Possibly the good recordings are improved that much that the disparity between good and bad becomes wider.

Without a doubt this is the best upgrade I have made to my system and by a large margin.

Big thanks to @Gremrock for the careful packing and emailing me the user manual, and  @statman for the replies to all the questions. 

6 hours ago, DarkNark said:

A massive difference in my case ?

This post is for you, sorry have been a little snowed under and slow to update this thread, plus I have been enjoying my first foray into valves.

I found it quite difficult to get a good picture, I'll try get some better ones later.

IMG_0063.thumb.jpeg.e1d8b1beb6e3c01c462161b36cd2644c.jpeg

So I will try to describe my impressions as best I can, without gushing like a 5 year old on Christmas morning, also keep in mind that I am do not have the experience of a lot of the members here, so I will probably not be able to to wax lyrical about tight bass, extended highs etc etc.

First impressions? Meh........don't know what all the fuss is about. Keep listening. Eh? Whats happening? I am tempted to say "magic" but I won't. :P Bl@@dy hell this sounds pretty good. Is this my imagination? I was starting to doubt what I was hearing. Was I liking it because I paid x amount of dollars for it? 

Two weeks later it still blows me away, literally! Even though I know it sounds good to me and I expect it to sound good it still blows me away. Don't know how long it will last and my brain will be used to it, but this preamp surprises me every day. (Sorry, trying not to gush just finding it difficult to put into words)

My observations so far -

1. I wouldn't say that the soundstage is wider, but it is certainly deeper. The drummer is outside my house behind the wall so to speak.

2. When people describe "holographic" soundstages , depending on the recording this preamp has it it in spades. I sit 2.8 m from my speakers and Rammstiens "Du Hast" the rhythm guitar is literally 0.5m from me. The thunder in Tools' "10,000 days" sounds like it is to my direct left or right or even behind me. How is this possible? The first time I experienced this I just couldn't believe what I was hearing.

3. Cymbals sound precise, clean. Not sure I can describe that better.

4.Percussion instruments are nice and clean and have a real presence. 

5. Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing but the Supratek exposes poor recordings. Possibly the good recordings are improved that much that the disparity between good and bad becomes wider.

Without a doubt this is the best upgrade I have made to my system and by a large margin.

Big thanks to @Gremrock for the careful packing and emailing me the user manual, and  @statman for the replies to all the questions. 

Mirrors a lot of impressions of a SS pre vs tubed pre.  They both have their pro's and cons.  Pros are what you mentioned above, cons are - tubes :( they're inherently noisy devices and lifespan and nos quality tubes are an issue in terms of reliability and procurement cost.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DarkNark said:

I've experienced what you are describing with a set up I had a few years back. Enthralling and utterly addictive.

I eventually had a change of residence and unfortunately was unable to replicate the magic in the new room.

The system was a Naim CD5X/TeddyCap psu> Wyred 4 Sound STP-Se> Cymer St-80> ATC Scm19 v2.

The room was set up in the thirds configuration. I would sometimes find myself sitting in the soundstage.

Congratulations. To my way of thinking, you've cracked it.

Guest DarkNark
8 hours ago, shogo33 said:

Mirrors a lot of impressions of a SS pre vs tubed pre.  They both have their pro's and cons.  Pros are what you mentioned above, cons are - tubes :( they're inherently noisy devices and lifespan and nos quality tubes are an issue in terms of reliability and procurement cost.  

I actually experienced what you described as a con in the last few days. I started getting static (The best way I can describe it) through the left channel that initially was just as start up and generally went away. Then It started to come and go. So after a bit of googling I pulled the all the tubes on the power supply and re installed, swapping left for right. Seems to have solved the problem. Just a poor connection? Am I supposed to clean the pins with something?

2 hours ago, deanB said:

I've experienced what you are describing with a set up I had a few years back. Enthralling and utterly addictive.

I eventually had a change of residence and unfortunately was unable to replicate the magic in the new room.

The system was a Naim CD5X/TeddyCap psu> Wyred 4 Sound STP-Se> Cymer St-80> ATC Scm19 v2.

The room was set up in the thirds configuration. I would sometimes find myself sitting in the soundstage.

Congratulations. To my way of thinking, you've cracked it.

Nice to know it's not my imagination. I was, at times, starting to doubt what I was hearing. Enthralling is an excellent way of describing it. My set up is roughy in the thirds configuration all though the speakers are more likely 1/4 into the room and my listening position is 2/3 into the room. However my house is open planned so I don't really have a rear wall.

Its a shame you were not able to recreate in in your new residence.

I will add, just to be clear, it is only some songs where I notice this.

Guest DarkNark

IMG_0066.thumb.JPG.331b165c64fa54d013c2567f2752c37b.JPG

Finished my "bass traps" Yay!

Took a while due to the hold up with the curtains. As you can see the right hand one stands a little off the wall because there is a window in that corner and the curtains are in the way. Most of us would have rooms that are a compromise, so this is the best I could do.

I used Acoustisorb 3, and knowing what I know now I would definitely say the Martini stuff (if it is indeed self standing) would be the way to go. I made mine 2400mm x 800mm x 100mm. @davewantsmoore and @nzlowie helped me via PM. 

Next step will be to optimise my speaker position, I had just plonked them roughly because I knew I would have to be moving them to get the bass traps in. So it will be my first steps trying to use REW software. Wish me luck.

I may move the tv across a little so it looks more central even though it is central now, but considering I just got them installed it's time for some tunes. :P

• 1 month later...
Guest DarkNark
On 30/01/2019 at 9:40 AM, Bunno77 said:

Have you tried different power amps too? 

No, unfortunately not. However, I am about to. :)

This has been planned for 3-4 months and its finally arrived today. I probably won't be able to get into my system till the weekend as I need to sort out some longer speaker cables. Crappy pic, I know, I will try and do better in the daylight.

IMG_0120.thumb.JPG.68ca6e1a94fc8cf363caf3368b90e284.JPG

• 3 months later...

Guest DarkNark
28 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Perfect fit! Looks great

Indeed. I think the M-900u may have fitted but would have been too tight from a cooling perspective and as a bonus I can save my pennies for something else. A Nucleus perhaps?

This Luxman and indeed the process of auditioning amps has shown me how important the amplification is in the total scheme of things. The Luxman which cost me about the same as the speakers, allows the speakers to sing like I have never heard before. Much more control of the bass was my initial impression.

30 minutes ago, DarkNark said:

Indeed. I think the M-900u may have fitted but would have been too tight from a cooling perspective and as a bonus I can save my pennies for something else. A Nucleus perhaps?

This Luxman and indeed the process of auditioning amps has shown me how important the amplification is in the total scheme of things. The Luxman which cost me about the same as the speakers, allows the speakers to sing like I have never heard before. Much more control of the bass was my initial impression.

I would love this combo but not on my pay level.Luxman kit: Monoblock b-1000f (pair) + prev.  c-1000f.

Guest DarkNark
38 minutes ago, kab said:

I would love this combo but not on my pay level.

They definitely make some lovely stuff ?

On 17/01/2019 at 9:42 PM, DarkNark said:

Err, so it's time to come clean! The next upgrade was more or less unplanned and more of "when opportunity knocks" sometimes you have to go for it. So jump in with both feet I did! My entry level Rega Planar 3 was replaced with this.

IMG_8929.thumb.JPG.d0a2326cc311dcf2b43af848f88a68e0.JPG

Transrotor Dark Star.

A big thanks to @Toyboyo for the assembly instructions and careful packing. Not a huge amount of information out on the net, and @hugo_wilco offered me some advice on cartridges via PM that he has used with a Dark Star. A big thanks for the assistance guys!

IMG_8930.thumb.JPG.3435077bd68020eb096dfd5fbe4a6462.JPG

I chose to install a 2M Black that I had  purchased, at the time, to try on my Rega. I would like to try an MC cart with this turntable one day, when funds allow. So if anyone has advice on a MC cart please chime in. 

@Hydrology came and helped set it up for me. ? I was careful not to feed Mark any beer until the job was done. :) First record played on it was Men At Works "Business as Usual" 

I have played my new Cold Chisel box set on it all day and had a fat old time, and ultimately thats what it's all about.:) This turntable is certainly a step up from my entry level Rega and I am not sure if it's the cart or not but the bass on the records is noticeably improved. Can't wait to hear what it sound like in 100 hours or so.

While CC was playing I was busy making some RCA cables for my next upgrade. this one was planned. Stay tuned!

IMG_8931.JPG

@scuzzii

• Like 1

Guest DarkNark
29 minutes ago, scuzzii said:

Yes Pete, same as what I've just got.

Well done DarkNark. A mighty turntable that will be unleashed further with a top grade MC cart.

Any suggestions? One suggestion has been a Lyra Delos MC. Little out of my price range atm. 

depends on what end of the spectrum you like to emphasise. Lyra, Dyna Vector would be Neutral/detailed and emphasise upper frequency more than say warmer carts like a Benz or Shelter.

I started with a Benz Glider - a terrific all rounder for around $1300 rrp.  Then went further up their chain to a Benz Ruby which was a big lush warm sound with heaps of detail, but not what one would call Neutral.

I currently have the Shelter Harmony which isn't as warm as the Ruby, but a perfect sweet spot for my tastes.  (For my Dark Star I've ordered the Acoustical Systems Archon).

I don't know your system in terms of whether it is on the brighter or dark side of sound presentation. But the Glider might be a good starting point.  Or if your system is a touch neutral/bright - Benz Wood.

• Like 1