DarkNark's System

Guest DarkNark

Guest DarkNark

Hi all,

I posted this picture a while back in the "My system this morning thread" and I have made a few changes so I thought I would start this thread and can post my updates. ?

My system at that stage was

Anthem MRX510, (which incidentally led me to this site ?) A big thanks to Snoopy8 for the help in the setup via the thread I started.

Oppo 105D

2011 Mac Mini server

Geisler Klein DAC

Emotiva XPA 1 Gen 2 Monoblocks

XTZ 99.36 FLR

SVS SB 1000 x 2, (just out of crappy iPhone shot)

Samsung 55" LED tv

IMG_7228.JPG.ed7383a1549c519026e99bda7b3feb98-2.thumb.JPG.9cce6f2339abbd203fdb41f018ffe4fc.JPG

Edited by DarkNark

Guest DarkNark

My first major change was a Geisler Groß DAC.

IMG_8583.thumb.JPG.7c94c720f1ae27dbe6bf0046537d88ee.JPG

Clay was very patient and helped with my novice questions. I was very pleased with the results. The only way I can describe it is that a fog had been lifted from my system. Fog that I hadn't realised was there in the first place. First song through the DAC? US Forces by Midnight Oil. :P

I see there is a thread for a new power supply for it, which I will have to investigate.

Guest DarkNark

@Irek

Hi, no I did not connect the Groß directly to the amps, I ran it through an Emotiva XSP-1 preamp that I borrowed and in the end buying . But I believe that you can run directly to your amp. @Gieseler Audio would be able to confirm.

4 minutes ago, DarkNark said:

Hi, no I did not connect the Groß directly to the amps, I ran it through an Emotiva XSP-1 preamp that I borrowed and in the end buying . But I believe that you can run directly to your amp. @Gieseler Audio would be able to confirm.

Clay's advice on connecting directly to amps:

I was running my Groß directly to my active speakers for a while; it gave a clean, detailed but clinical sound.  I ended using a valve preamp to deliver warmth and additional bass.

On 21/11/2018 at 9:45 PM, Snoopy8 said:

Clay's advice on connecting directly to amps:

I was running my Groß directly to my active speakers for a while; it gave a clean, detailed but clinical sound.  I ended using a valve preamp to deliver warmth and additional bass.

Ditto for running anything direct to active speakers.  I added a tube preamp (Modwright LS100) and made it all better.

• Like 1

Guest DarkNark

Upgraded the television a few months ago, Retired the 55" Samsung and bought a Panasonic 65" EZ950 OLED. I went to buy a 75" LED/LCD from JB and while deciding what model to buy I saw the Panasonic for only a few hundred more. It was a runout model, 2017 I believe.

Wow! What a difference. Not for one second do I regret only having a 65" over a 75" LED/LCD. The picture is stunning. Very happy with the purchase. Definitely the best upgrade I have made so far. 

The rear wall where I mounted the TV started to annoy me as it is a very neutral off-white. I started to find it distracting while i watched movies. I read a few threads on SNA about members setting up dedicated Theatre rooms and eventually settled on a colour. "Black Flame" by Taubmans. It's a very deep indigo blue. Its darkened the wall up enough for me, not sure I could live with black. Very difficult to get a good picture on an iPhone to show the true colour. This is the middle of the day with the blinds closed.

IMG_8712.thumb.jpg.08d9740cc6d49a0a451959db41cefa0f.jpg

Guest DarkNark

@Ray H Sorry, getting to it :)

Had a moment to unbox my new Elac FS 409's. Heard these in a shop once and knew I would buy a pair one day. 

Today is the day! 

Edited by DarkNark
Tried for a better picture

Guest DarkNark

First album through the speakers is The Chieftans "The Long Black Veil".

Third track "The Foggy Dew" sung by Sinéad O'Connor got the hairs standing up on my neck. Spooky!

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/11/2018 at 9:32 PM, DarkNark said:

So with the Groß and my new preamp having the capability to use balanced cables I went and made some.

IMG_7297.thumb.JPG.5da740f08cf7eed4a7e73ad3a4d57c2b.JPG

So how does balanced vs single endedsound in the system? Assuming you're running the GroB balanced into the Emotiva pre?

Edited by katattack74

Guest DarkNark
4 hours ago, katattack74 said:

So how does balanced vs single endedsound in the system? Assuming you're running the GroB balanced into the Emotiva pre?

Yes I run the Groß into the preamp with balanced cables. I actually have never tried with single ended cables. I'll try it and report back. :) 

5 hours ago, katattack74 said:

Have run the Groß on balanced and RCA, no differences...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DarkNark

So lots of changes coming. Some have been planned for a while and just waiting on funds and some were a rush of blood! Damn Stereonet classifieds! ?

First addition was Clays' "Kraftwerk" power supply. Nice compact little package, certainly made a positive change to the SQ, but I would rather use it for a little while before posting my final impressions. 

IMG_8905.thumb.JPG.4c2703df01b1abf335c4d0c07acbb37b.JPG

Edited by DarkNark
spelling

Guest DarkNark

So not mentioned previously in this thread, I have made a recent foray into records. I have a Rega Planar 3 with Ortofon blue that @Hydrology kindly set up for me.

I will mention (for any beginners like me, reading this thread) that I was totally underwhelmed when I played my first record in 30 years. I was quite disappointed to be honest. A bit of googling and reading a few threads here, led me to getting my records cleaned. If you are a beginner looking to start playing records I can not overstate that having clean vinyl is a "must have". It totally transformed my initial reaction and now I take pleasure in putting a record on.

Back on topic, I had previously used the phono section in the Emotiva XSP-1 and I tried out a MoFi Studio phono. TBH I really didn't hear much of a difference between the two phono stages. I toyed with trying a different phono stage but I was a little wary of over capitalising on my modest Planar 3 deck.

Then I saw a Primare R32 for sale in the classified and took a punt. I had previously considered buying one as they seem to have a great reputation in the online reviews. A deal was struck and @Cideburns dispatched said phono. 

IMG_8904.thumb.JPG.51ed9b70a2d7b8e37ab38071846f8c82.JPG

I had to make a new shelf to house it, so a quick trip to Bunnings sorted that out.

How does it sound? Would I notice a difference? Smooth is the word I would use to describe it. The difference is significant, it sounds bl@@dy great! It actually makes me want to try other Primare gear. I do believe that the online reviews are well justified.

A quick side note, @Cideburns was great to deal with. The Primare presents as new, not a mark on it. I am a very happy camper!

Edited by DarkNark

Guest DarkNark

Previous picture shows an Oppo 203 under the R32. 

I previously/still have an Oppo105D, but since I upgraded to a 4K telly and DAC duties are taken care of by the Giesler a 203 seemed like a good fit.

Still running the Elac 409's in and I haven't worried too much about their final position yet, but I am still enjoying them very much. Bass presence is noticeably bigger than my previous XTZ 99.36 floor standers.

1 hour ago, DarkNark said:

How does it sound? Would I notice a difference? Smooth is the word I would use to describe it. The difference is significant, it sounds bl@@dy great! It actually makes me want to try other Primare gear. I do believe that the online reviews are well justified.

As expected.   Hehe i see another upcoming upgrade coming up soon..that primare preamp is very nice indeed.. :)

• Like 1

Guest DarkNark
On 16/01/2019 at 10:57 AM, DarkNark said:

So lots of changes coming. Some have been planned for a while and just waiting on funds and some were a rush of blood! Damn Stereonet classifieds! ?

Err, so it's time to come clean! The next upgrade was more or less unplanned and more of "when opportunity knocks" sometimes you have to go for it. So jump in with both feet I did! My entry level Rega Planar 3 was replaced with this.

IMG_8929.thumb.JPG.d0a2326cc311dcf2b43af848f88a68e0.JPG

Transrotor Dark Star.

A big thanks to @Toyboyo for the assembly instructions and careful packing. Not a huge amount of information out on the net, and @hugo_wilco offered me some advice on cartridges via PM that he has used with a Dark Star. A big thanks for the assistance guys!

IMG_8930.thumb.JPG.3435077bd68020eb096dfd5fbe4a6462.JPG

I chose to install a 2M Black that I had  purchased, at the time, to try on my Rega. I would like to try an MC cart with this turntable one day, when funds allow. So if anyone has advice on a MC cart please chime in. 

@Hydrology came and helped set it up for me. ? I was careful not to feed Mark any beer until the job was done. :) First record played on it was Men At Works "Business as Usual" 

I have played my new Cold Chisel box set on it all day and had a fat old time, and ultimately thats what it's all about.:) This turntable is certainly a step up from my entry level Rega and I am not sure if it's the cart or not but the bass on the records is noticeably improved. Can't wait to hear what it sound like in 100 hours or so.

While CC was playing I was busy making some RCA cables for my next upgrade. this one was planned. Stay tuned!

IMG_8931.JPG

Edited by DarkNark