Sign in to follow this  
DarkNark

DarkNark's System

Hi all,

I posted this picture a while back in the "My system this morning thread" and I have made a few changes so I thought I would start this thread and can post my updates. 😀

My system at that stage was

Anthem MRX510, (which incidentally led me to this site 😁) A big thanks to Snoopy8 for the help in the setup via the thread I started.

Oppo 105D

2011 Mac Mini server

Geisler Klein DAC

Emotiva XPA 1 Gen 2 Monoblocks

XTZ 99.36 FLR

SVS SB 1000 x 2, (just out of crappy iPhone shot)

Samsung 55" LED tv

IMG_7228.JPG.ed7383a1549c519026e99bda7b3feb98-2.thumb.JPG.9cce6f2339abbd203fdb41f018ffe4fc.JPG

Edited by DarkNark

My first major change was a Geisler Groß DAC.

IMG_8583.thumb.JPG.7c94c720f1ae27dbe6bf0046537d88ee.JPG

Clay was very patient and helped with my novice questions. I was very pleased with the results. The only way I can describe it is that a fog had been lifted from my system. Fog that I hadn't realised was there in the first place. First song through the DAC? US Forces by Midnight Oil. :P

I see there is a thread for a new power supply for it, which I will have to investigate.

Hi, 

did you connect the DAC to power amps directly? 

@Irek

Hi, no I did not connect the Groß directly to the amps, I ran it through an Emotiva XSP-1 preamp that I borrowed and in the end buying . But I believe that you can run directly to your amp. @Gieseler Audio would be able to confirm.

So with the Groß and my new preamp having the capability to use balanced cables I went and made some.

IMG_7297.thumb.JPG.5da740f08cf7eed4a7e73ad3a4d57c2b.JPG

4 minutes ago, DarkNark said:

Hi, no I did not connect the Groß directly to the amps, I ran it through an Emotiva XSP-1 preamp that I borrowed and in the end buying . But I believe that you can run directly to your amp. @Gieseler Audio would be able to confirm.

Clay's advice on connecting directly to amps:

I was running my Groß directly to my active speakers for a while; it gave a clean, detailed but clinical sound.  I ended using a valve preamp to deliver warmth and additional bass.

An upcoming change waiting for my return. 😁

IMG_8585.JPG

On 21/11/2018 at 9:45 PM, Snoopy8 said:

Clay's advice on connecting directly to amps:

I was running my Groß directly to my active speakers for a while; it gave a clean, detailed but clinical sound.  I ended using a valve preamp to deliver warmth and additional bass.

Ditto for running anything direct to active speakers.  I added a tube preamp (Modwright LS100) and made it all better.

Upgraded the television a few months ago, Retired the 55" Samsung and bought a Panasonic 65" EZ950 OLED. I went to buy a 75" LED/LCD from JB and while deciding what model to buy I saw the Panasonic for only a few hundred more. It was a runout model, 2017 I believe.

Wow! What a difference. Not for one second do I regret only having a 65" over a 75" LED/LCD. The picture is stunning. Very happy with the purchase. Definitely the best upgrade I have made so far. 

The rear wall where I mounted the TV started to annoy me as it is a very neutral off-white. I started to find it distracting while i watched movies. I read a few threads on SNA about members setting up dedicated Theatre rooms and eventually settled on a colour. "Black Flame" by Taubmans. It's a very deep indigo blue. Its darkened the wall up enough for me, not sure I could live with black. Very difficult to get a good picture on an iPhone to show the true colour. This is the middle of the day with the blinds closed.

IMG_8712.thumb.jpg.08d9740cc6d49a0a451959db41cefa0f.jpg

@Ray H Sorry, getting to it :)

Had a moment to unbox my new Elac FS 409's. Heard these in a shop once and knew I would buy a pair one day. 

Today is the day! 

Edited by DarkNark
Tried for a better picture

First album through the speakers is The Chieftans "The Long Black Veil".

Third track "The Foggy Dew" sung by Sinéad O'Connor got the hairs standing up on my neck. Spooky!

Posted (edited)
On 21/11/2018 at 9:32 PM, DarkNark said:

So with the Groß and my new preamp having the capability to use balanced cables I went and made some.

IMG_7297.thumb.JPG.5da740f08cf7eed4a7e73ad3a4d57c2b.JPG

So how does balanced vs single endedsound in the system? Assuming you're running the GroB balanced into the Emotiva pre?

Edited by katattack74