Sign in to follow this  
Andre28

What happened to 60"

Sizing seems to go in waves, but there has not been any decent 60" screens for a while. Is this likely to be reintroduced by the major players at some point?

Andre28

If you are looking at replacing an existing 60" TV, I suspect you will find that the 'footprint' of today's 65" will be about the same as yesterday's 60".

That is what I found with my old 58" Plasma - the frame was more substantial on the old plasma than on the new TVs.

Check the published dimensions of the new TVs and compare with an existing set.

Make a paper or cardboard template of the new TV dimensions and compare it to the current TV - the WAF (if it is an issue) might not be quite as bad once the minor increase in wallspace becomes apparent.

Benje

Funnily enough, the 58" Plasma is what I do have right now. Haven recently moved though and now sit much closer to the screen than I did when I bought the 58". A jump to 65 seems a bit much, regardless of frame size. That said I am not in any rush to replace it, happy to wait until it no longer works because honestly the picture is great.

Andre

I had a Panasonic Plasma 58" V10 - I thought it was fantastic.  Yours might be more recent than that.  The 65" OLED was shorter in height, and about 10 cm or so wider than the 58" plasma.  And the picture has been excellent on the OLED, much better than the V10.

The 65" screen is never too big.  If you are really worried about that, get a 55" OLED for a lot less money (I suspect the 55" is very cheap at present because they are less popular than the 65")..

By the way David Jones has the 65" Panasonic OLED (FZ950) for about $3500 less whatever you might get through rebate programs/points, and the 55" fpor $1800 less whatever you might get through rebate programs/points.  Black Friday tomorrow.

Benje

Purchase won't be too soon, just planning ahead. I have the Samsung Ps58C7000 (pretty sure it's that one anyway). EPG is pretty crappy, but I rarely watch free to air. Sport and netflix is great on it.

Unfortunately size is more or less dictated by the few panel manufacturers there are left and who the brands subsequently source their panels from.

Hence why you see an abundance of similarly sized panels on the market.

Last time I looked a 55” oled was smaller overall than our 50” kuro. But the kuro has broad pure black bezel that’s 50mm all around to frame. It was part of the pure back experience where blacks onscreen disappear into bezel.

screen makers seem to have forgotten about bezels and instead almost bezel free. So physically screens are smaller these days 

sizes also seem rationalised. Eg 40, 55, 65/70 and such

5 hours ago, :) al said:

screen makers seem to have forgotten about bezels and instead almost bezel free. So physically screens are smaller these days 

sizes also seem rationalised. Eg 40, 55, 65/70 and such

Form over function possibly Al ; explains why sound quality isn't so hot anymore without the enclosure space afforded by the larger bezel ? Helps sell those soundbars ; being cynical  :)