Need recommendation: Bookshelf speaker $5000-$10000 range

4 minutes ago, PKay said:

Audionote are designed to be up against a wall. Not as dynamic as the Grahams but still a very nice sounding speaker. 

Not familiar with these but they look interesting for smaller rooms. Their set up recommendations are certainly worth a look 

http://www.audionote.co.uk/products/speakers/spkr_home_01.shtml

Guest Eggcup The Daft
11 hours ago, adamkent said:

Thanks for your comment.

To add in a few information, the living room is an open living room, with wall on 3 side, one side open to kitchen and dining area.

I will do a photoshop draft tomorrow and post it here. 

No treatment can be done to the place, apart from putting plants. I measure the Harbeth and it will be too close to the wall, or too close to the listening spot (sofa).

Therefore I need a smaller size stand-mount speakers. Also you are right, aesthetics is important as my wife keep complaining about the Harbeth. I want something nice to blend in with the furniture.

Will add B&W 805 to the list, I think it looks really nice...

Thanks.

Don't just consider smaller speakers in an open area. I'd look at Martin Logan electrostatics which can look nice, and possibly larger Sonus Faber speakers which some people like and may blend in with stuff.

Bookshelf speakers with stands can still stick out like a sore thumb...

What furniture?

Guest Eggcup The Daft
On 21/11/2018 at 8:56 AM, buddyev said:

If the Harbeth won’t fit in your new room, then the B&w 805 certainly won’t either - theyre deeper than the Harbeth and need to be in space. Same with the Dynaudio C1. 

I have the B&Ws and love them. They are front ported but still need a minimum of 500mm from back and side walls.

I know aesthetics are important and these are, in my opinion, very nice looking speakers but I suspect they will be an expensive mistake in your circumstances.

id have a close look at those Grahams Pkay mentions - they’re designed for small rooms, and they’re front ported.

The Harbeth 30s are also very nice - maybe the pick of the Harbeths in smaller rooms.

The only time I've heard 805 (D2 not D3) they were working fine closer to the wall than that -  less than 30cm space behind! - but well away from the corners. I wouldn't write them off but thanks for info from an owner.

I don't know the Grahams but I have heard the Rogers original. Very BBC, not very "modern living room". The Graham may suit a Harbeth owner.

28 minutes ago, Eggcup The Daft said:

The only time I've heard 805 (D2 not D3) they were working fine closer to the wall than that -  less than 30cm space behind! - but well away from the corners. I wouldn't write them off but thanks for info from an owner.

I don't know the Grahams but I have heard the Rogers original. Very BBC, not very "modern living room". The Graham may suit a Harbeth owner.

Yes, you're probably right - they aren't overly fussy and you can get away with being closer to the wall. Its just that they are great speakers and its a shame to compromise them too much. 1 think it's better to get something more suited to the situation.

Mine are around 600 from rear and side - I find that to be about right for my room. But rooms are different. 

2 hours ago, buddyev said:

Yes, you're probably right - they aren't overly fussy and you can get away with being closer to the wall. Its just that they are great speakers and its a shame to compromise them too much. 1 think it's better to get something more suited to the situation.

Mine are around 600 from rear and side - I find that to be about right for my room. But rooms are different. 

one of the benefits of active...  I can apply roll off filters or room EQ to help the speaker adapt to the room better. Possibly not important for some people; but my speakers will be in a different room every two or so years... :)

I agree with ihearmusic.
Osborne eos elite was phenomenal at recent hi fi show. The look on peoples faces when he switched from large speakers to this tiny thing...priceless.
Definetly worth an audition.
Nothing of similar size ( and sadly some floorstanders) didnt compare to the beautiful sound this speaker produced on resoanbly priced gear.

34 minutes ago, Tim D said:

I see Carlton AV over on the Black Friday thread have a price list up with a few of the PMC speakers on it.  Maybe a few other bookshelves you might be looking at too?

Thanks, I'll arrange some time to come down there to have a look, some has fairly good price.

Serenade, is one speaker that comes to mind, especially when room boundaries are an issue. It seems to have been designed with this in mind. 

On paper, seems to have good bass response. May or may not require a Subwoofer.

http://www.hulgichaudio.com.au/serenade.html

https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-hulgich-audio-serenade-loudspeakers

Edited by Mushroom01

20 hours ago, Analysis said:

The Marten Duke ll’s is a great speaker. It will do everything your trying to accomplish.

Especially the WAF!

Here’s a photo to help with your decision!

IMG_1543714869.220438.thumb.jpg.0efcb076eec743e7cc0d0f9b0162ee35.jpg

agreed; great speaker. but then save up big $$ to put Vitus on the end of it....  :P

• Like 1

A little difficult to find, look for a pair of old Duntech Barons. They are floorstanders, but with a small footprint. Back them up to a wall and they still don't mind. The sock cover makes them look like a soft furnishing, a curtain hung behind your gear and between the speakers will all but make them disappear. You should be able to pick up a pair under $2500, and you would have to spend $10K new to outdo them.

4 hours ago, t_mike said:

A little difficult to find, look for a pair of old Duntech Barons. They are floorstanders, but with a small footprint. Back them up to a wall and they still don't mind. The sock cover makes them look like a soft furnishing, a curtain hung behind your gear and between the speakers will all but make them disappear. You should be able to pick up a pair under $2500, and you would have to spend $10K new to outdo them.

including floorstanders opens a can of worms. I sold some Marten Miles 3 for a touch under $6k recently and think you couldn't really beat that in terms of price/perf. Stop breaking the rules ;)

On 02/12/2018 at 12:42 PM, Analysis said:

The Marten Duke ll’s is a great speaker. It will do everything your trying to accomplish.

Especially the WAF!

Here’s a photo to help with your decision!

IMG_1543714869.220438.thumb.jpg.0efcb076eec743e7cc0d0f9b0162ee35.jpg

Very nice indeed... if you ever want to change your speakers, please  let me know...