Sign in to follow this  
blybo

Fasting, anybody done it?

29 minutes ago, blybo said:

Have you tried fasting Al?

yes, right from childhood :)

its actually quite common in many cultures :)

for me though right now its not really about fasting. its more controlling my food (portions) types of foods. so if I miss a meal I dont as such class it as fasting. just not eating because I'm not hungry. I'm aiming for one main meal a day. rest fruits, veggies (I am also not looking to cut out (carbs or anything like that) more balance with fruits veggies, (carbs included) 

anyways let see.... :)

4 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Not quite sure what you mean here.

On my fast day, I obviously dramatically reduce my calorie intake  (to about 600 from 2000).    On the non-fast days, I don't "make up" for the lost calories.

So overall week to week, my calorie intake is reduced (reduced by about 2800 calories).

I try to switch my calories away from sugar towards fat and protein .... and on non-fast days I think this 'switch' is much more important than general calorie 'counting' or 'reduction'.    So if I blow my ~2000 calories for the day, it doesn't matter as long as it's not sugar.

So it sounds like you are doing more of a 5:2 program rather than intermittent fasting. From what I’ve learned the benefits of intermittent fasting is letting the body have long enough between eating windows to burn fat rather than sugar and doing this many times per week. There are many studies that have shown having a control group eating a set number of calories whenever they liked compared to same food intake with a fasting period each day. The ones fasting lost plenty of weight, the others didn’t. 

Both methods will work of course, and I’m going close to Keto as well to speed up weight loss, I’ve cut out all sugar except alcohol a couple times a week, but allowing myself a few carbs when cooking them for the kids

Edited by blybo

27 minutes ago, blybo said:

So it sounds like you are doing more of a 5:2 program rather than intermittent fasting.

The 5:2 diet, also known as The Fast Diet, is currently the most popular intermittent fasting diet.

;)  .... but don't worry, I get what you mean.

The other thing I do is try to maximise the time between 'dinner' and 'breakfast'.

As I talked about earlier in this thread, I started a weight loss program with the 5:2 diet after seeing some Dr Mosley You Tubes.  It definitely works.  It got me started and peeled off about 15 kg (from 102 to 87 kg) in 3.5 months.  But I got stuck at 87 kg on  this diet and my weight didn't move for a month.  And that's with daily calorie counting so I didn't negate the two calorie restricted days on the other five.  So I switched to proper intermittent fasting - every day - and kept calorie counting.  Intermittent fasting is very easily done, just skip breakfast.  I didn't ingest any calories at all between 7 PM in the evening and Noon the next day and I did that every day.  That got me down from 87 kgs to my present weight hovering between 77-78 kg.

5:2 may be the more popular diet but I have no doubt at all that intermittent fasting is the more effective diet and MUCH easier to stick to.  Google "Max Lowery".

I'm easing up on any diet at all for this month.  I reckon my previous propensity to "binge" has been pretty well eradicated and I'm now much more aware of what's good to eat and what I shouldn't eat.  In the new year (not necessarily on Jan 1 🧐) I'm going to institute intermittent fasting as a permanent lifestyle and up my resistance and HIIT routine.  My intention is to live forever.  So far, so good!

I think a ketogenic diet is the smart way to burn fat, but how can anyone do <30g CHO in 24hrs?  Has anyone actually got into definitive metabolic ketosis proven on testing, using a ketogenic diet?  If so how the beep did you do it and how did you feel?

8 hours ago, betty boop said:

I think one of the risks of fasting .... is gluttony :D or binging out.

7 hours ago, blybo said:

With fasting you should not be dramatically reducing your calorie intake, so we are eating more calorie dense food in the 2 meals we eat like avocado, nuts, skin on roast chicken, more oil on salads as a dressing instead of processed sugary dressings.

I have been a good boy the last two weeks. No breakfast and an apple, nuts and berries for lunch four days out of 5 during the week. The simple result of eating less is that your stomach shrinks and you will feel full with less food. This means you eat less. This is the ultimate way of losing weight. If its too hard (and it is) to do all week just pick two, three of four days a week where you reduce the physical amount of food you put in your guts. You WILL find that you eventually cant eat as much as you used to. And you are on your way.

17 hours ago, betty boop said:

yes, right from childhood :)

its actually quite common in many cultures :)

giphy.gif

Of course...

11 hours ago, crisis said:

I have been a good boy the last two weeks. No breakfast and an apple, nuts and berries for lunch four days out of 5 during the week. The simple result of eating less is that your stomach shrinks and you will feel full with less food. This means you eat less. This is the ultimate way of losing weight. If its too hard (and it is) to do all week just pick two, three of four days a week where you reduce the physical amount of food you put in your guts. You WILL find that you eventually cant eat as much as you used to. And you are on your way.

I think 1 of the great things about doing IF, is that you learn to deal with hunger and realise you aren't going to die or fall in a heap due to lack of energy. In the past I would have felt it was a sign I needed to eat something immediately, but now it after only a few weeks it doesn't bother me and the hunger feeling has largely disappeared. I do get hungry some mornings immediately on waking, but a big glass of water or the horrible tasting Apple Cider drink gets rid of that. I've stopped snacking on crap food too, but still overindulge occasionally when drinking. I'm learning that alcohol is effecting me much more as well, perhaps just because I'm not drinking at all mid week.

My initial plan was to do the 16:8 IF on weekdays and eat normally on the weekend. I'm finding IF so easy I'm sitting here trying to decide if I want to have breakfast today. Anyhoo, the coffee machine is up to temp now...

Edited by blybo

13 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

;)  .... but don't worry, I get what you mean.

The other thing I do is try to maximise the time between 'dinner' and 'breakfast'.

Why don't you try skipping breakfast on the fast days. From what I've read, hunger issues are easier to deal with by not eating at all, rather than just eating a heavily reduced calorie intake. They say a little food is just enough to keep you constantly hungry, I'm not getting that.

Anecdotally, when I skipped all food on Wednesday before my work Christmas dinner I was fine with it all day UNTIL I had half a slice of my daughters garlic bread just before heading out to dinner. Suddenly I was starving and couldn't wait for them to bring out the entrees at the restaurant.

2 hours ago, blybo said:

I think 1 of the great things about doing IF, is that you learn to deal with hunger and realise you aren't going to die or fall in a heap due to lack of energy. In the past I would have felt it was a sign I needed to eat something immediately, but now it after only a few weeks it doesn't bother me and the hunger feeling has largely disappeared. I do get hungry some mornings immediately on waking, but a big glass of water or the horrible tasting Apple Cider drink gets rid of that.

Yes. A drink of water when you feel hungry is a great trick. I must admit I rarely feel hungry and can miss a meal if I go long enough without. We are conditioned to eating at certain times and our body clock also contributes to this. If you can resist your body clocks call for food most of us, as you say, will not starve.

2 hours ago, blybo said:

I'm learning that alcohol is effecting me much more as well, perhaps just because I'm not drinking at all mid week.

I am reducing what I drink during the week also. Limited to an event al la birthday outing. Friday Saturday and sometimes Sunday are my alcohol days. Is working more or less.

2 hours ago, blybo said:

My initial plan was to do the 16:8 IF on weekdays and eat normally on the weekend. I'm finding IF so easy I'm sitting here trying to decide if I want to have breakfast today. Anyhoo, the coffee machine is up to temp now...

Indeed. I figure if you can punish yourself for four or five days during the week and have something to look forward to it is manageable.

47 minutes ago, crisis said:

Indeed. I figure if you can punish yourself for four or five days during the week and have something to look forward to it is manageable.

All I had was 3x bacon short cuts.

32 minutes ago, blybo said:

All I had was 3x bacon short cuts.

👍 I don't eat pork , mine was scrambled eggs. Only do breakfast Saturday and Sunday. Then no lunch.

4 hours ago, blybo said:

Why don't you try skipping breakfast on the fast days.

I do.    The "maximise the time between dinner and breakfast" comment was for normal (non-fasting days) .... I try to keep at least 12 hours without eating overnight.

On a fast day, I don't eat until late in the afternoon .... so it's about 24 hours+ fast, before ~600 calories, and then another 12 hours before breakfast.

4 hours ago, blybo said:

From what I've read, hunger issues are easier to deal with by not eating at all, rather than just eating a heavily reduced calorie intake. They say a little food is just enough to keep you constantly hungry, I'm not getting that.

👍  Drinking lots of water also helps me.

9 hours ago, blybo said:

.........a little food is just enough to keep you constantly hungry, I'm not getting that.

Anecdotally, when I skipped all food on Wednesday before my work Christmas dinner I was fine with it all day UNTIL I had half a slice of my daughters garlic bread just before heading out to dinner. Suddenly I was starving and couldn't wait for them to bring out the entrees at the restaurant.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/susan-b-dopart-ms-rd/controlling-your-hunger-h_b_763600.html

It's been 1 week since my last update...

Last Friday I was 99.2kg. . Too many beers over the weekend but didn't put any weight on due to a 40km ride on Sunday in a fasted state. Had a stressful day on Monday, weakened and ate a pack of salt and vinegar chips. Since then I've been quite strict and kept to a keto diet as well as fasting mid week. Surprisingly you can have straight spirits without breaking ketosis, has 4 scotches last night and still lost weight.

This morning 98.0kg 😁. If I was strict 24/7 I reckon I'd lose 2+kgs a week on this diet. I've been quite busy at work so desk bound more than usual, and not getting my usual 30-45 minute daily walk in.

Edited by blybo