Sign in to follow this  
blybo

Fasting, anybody done it?

27 minutes ago, blybo said:

So it sounds like you are doing more of a 5:2 program rather than intermittent fasting.

The 5:2 diet, also known as The Fast Diet, is currently the most popular intermittent fasting diet.

;)  .... but don't worry, I get what you mean.

The other thing I do is try to maximise the time between 'dinner' and 'breakfast'.

As I talked about earlier in this thread, I started a weight loss program with the 5:2 diet after seeing some Dr Mosley You Tubes.  It definitely works.  It got me started and peeled off about 15 kg (from 102 to 87 kg) in 3.5 months.  But I got stuck at 87 kg on  this diet and my weight didn't move for a month.  And that's with daily calorie counting so I didn't negate the two calorie restricted days on the other five.  So I switched to proper intermittent fasting - every day - and kept calorie counting.  Intermittent fasting is very easily done, just skip breakfast.  I didn't ingest any calories at all between 7 PM in the evening and Noon the next day and I did that every day.  That got me down from 87 kgs to my present weight hovering between 77-78 kg.

5:2 may be the more popular diet but I have no doubt at all that intermittent fasting is the more effective diet and MUCH easier to stick to.  Google "Max Lowery".

I'm easing up on any diet at all for this month.  I reckon my previous propensity to "binge" has been pretty well eradicated and I'm now much more aware of what's good to eat and what I shouldn't eat.  In the new year (not necessarily on Jan 1 🧐) I'm going to institute intermittent fasting as a permanent lifestyle and up my resistance and HIIT routine.  My intention is to live forever.  So far, so good!

I think a ketogenic diet is the smart way to burn fat, but how can anyone do <30g CHO in 24hrs?  Has anyone actually got into definitive metabolic ketosis proven on testing, using a ketogenic diet?  If so how the beep did you do it and how did you feel?

8 hours ago, betty boop said:

I think one of the risks of fasting .... is gluttony :D or binging out.

7 hours ago, blybo said:

With fasting you should not be dramatically reducing your calorie intake, so we are eating more calorie dense food in the 2 meals we eat like avocado, nuts, skin on roast chicken, more oil on salads as a dressing instead of processed sugary dressings.

I have been a good boy the last two weeks. No breakfast and an apple, nuts and berries for lunch four days out of 5 during the week. The simple result of eating less is that your stomach shrinks and you will feel full with less food. This means you eat less. This is the ultimate way of losing weight. If its too hard (and it is) to do all week just pick two, three of four days a week where you reduce the physical amount of food you put in your guts. You WILL find that you eventually cant eat as much as you used to. And you are on your way.

17 hours ago, betty boop said:

yes, right from childhood :)

its actually quite common in many cultures :)

giphy.gif

Of course...

11 hours ago, crisis said:

I have been a good boy the last two weeks. No breakfast and an apple, nuts and berries for lunch four days out of 5 during the week. The simple result of eating less is that your stomach shrinks and you will feel full with less food. This means you eat less. This is the ultimate way of losing weight. If its too hard (and it is) to do all week just pick two, three of four days a week where you reduce the physical amount of food you put in your guts. You WILL find that you eventually cant eat as much as you used to. And you are on your way.

I think 1 of the great things about doing IF, is that you learn to deal with hunger and realise you aren't going to die or fall in a heap due to lack of energy. In the past I would have felt it was a sign I needed to eat something immediately, but now it after only a few weeks it doesn't bother me and the hunger feeling has largely disappeared. I do get hungry some mornings immediately on waking, but a big glass of water or the horrible tasting Apple Cider drink gets rid of that. I've stopped snacking on crap food too, but still overindulge occasionally when drinking. I'm learning that alcohol is effecting me much more as well, perhaps just because I'm not drinking at all mid week.

My initial plan was to do the 16:8 IF on weekdays and eat normally on the weekend. I'm finding IF so easy I'm sitting here trying to decide if I want to have breakfast today. Anyhoo, the coffee machine is up to temp now...

Edited by blybo

13 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

;)  .... but don't worry, I get what you mean.

The other thing I do is try to maximise the time between 'dinner' and 'breakfast'.

Why don't you try skipping breakfast on the fast days. From what I've read, hunger issues are easier to deal with by not eating at all, rather than just eating a heavily reduced calorie intake. They say a little food is just enough to keep you constantly hungry, I'm not getting that.

Anecdotally, when I skipped all food on Wednesday before my work Christmas dinner I was fine with it all day UNTIL I had half a slice of my daughters garlic bread just before heading out to dinner. Suddenly I was starving and couldn't wait for them to bring out the entrees at the restaurant.

2 hours ago, blybo said:

I think 1 of the great things about doing IF, is that you learn to deal with hunger and realise you aren't going to die or fall in a heap due to lack of energy. In the past I would have felt it was a sign I needed to eat something immediately, but now it after only a few weeks it doesn't bother me and the hunger feeling has largely disappeared. I do get hungry some mornings immediately on waking, but a big glass of water or the horrible tasting Apple Cider drink gets rid of that.

Yes. A drink of water when you feel hungry is a great trick. I must admit I rarely feel hungry and can miss a meal if I go long enough without. We are conditioned to eating at certain times and our body clock also contributes to this. If you can resist your body clocks call for food most of us, as you say, will not starve.

2 hours ago, blybo said:

I'm learning that alcohol is effecting me much more as well, perhaps just because I'm not drinking at all mid week.

I am reducing what I drink during the week also. Limited to an event al la birthday outing. Friday Saturday and sometimes Sunday are my alcohol days. Is working more or less.

2 hours ago, blybo said:

My initial plan was to do the 16:8 IF on weekdays and eat normally on the weekend. I'm finding IF so easy I'm sitting here trying to decide if I want to have breakfast today. Anyhoo, the coffee machine is up to temp now...

Indeed. I figure if you can punish yourself for four or five days during the week and have something to look forward to it is manageable.

47 minutes ago, crisis said:

Indeed. I figure if you can punish yourself for four or five days during the week and have something to look forward to it is manageable.

All I had was 3x bacon short cuts.

32 minutes ago, blybo said:

All I had was 3x bacon short cuts.

👍 I don't eat pork , mine was scrambled eggs. Only do breakfast Saturday and Sunday. Then no lunch.

4 hours ago, blybo said:

Why don't you try skipping breakfast on the fast days.

I do.    The "maximise the time between dinner and breakfast" comment was for normal (non-fasting days) .... I try to keep at least 12 hours without eating overnight.

On a fast day, I don't eat until late in the afternoon .... so it's about 24 hours+ fast, before ~600 calories, and then another 12 hours before breakfast.

4 hours ago, blybo said:

From what I've read, hunger issues are easier to deal with by not eating at all, rather than just eating a heavily reduced calorie intake. They say a little food is just enough to keep you constantly hungry, I'm not getting that.

👍  Drinking lots of water also helps me.

9 hours ago, blybo said:

.........a little food is just enough to keep you constantly hungry, I'm not getting that.

Anecdotally, when I skipped all food on Wednesday before my work Christmas dinner I was fine with it all day UNTIL I had half a slice of my daughters garlic bread just before heading out to dinner. Suddenly I was starving and couldn't wait for them to bring out the entrees at the restaurant.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/susan-b-dopart-ms-rd/controlling-your-hunger-h_b_763600.html

It's been 1 week since my last update...

Last Friday I was 99.2kg. . Too many beers over the weekend but didn't put any weight on due to a 40km ride on Sunday in a fasted state. Had a stressful day on Monday, weakened and ate a pack of salt and vinegar chips. Since then I've been quite strict and kept to a keto diet as well as fasting mid week. Surprisingly you can have straight spirits without breaking ketosis, has 4 scotches last night and still lost weight.

This morning 98.0kg 😁. If I was strict 24/7 I reckon I'd lose 2+kgs a week on this diet. I've been quite busy at work so desk bound more than usual, and not getting my usual 30-45 minute daily walk in.

Edited by blybo

Good to here blybo, Following different tact here than ever have, will post next week if having some early results :)  cautiously optimistic but don’t want to get too excited yet :D

16 minutes ago, betty boop said:

Good to here blybo, Following different tact here than ever have, will post next week if having some early results :)  cautiously optimistic but don’t want to get too excited yet :D

Whatever works for you.

I chose my option for the added type 2 diabetes cheating nature of it. My blood sugar levels have usually been in a "let's keep and eye on this" level without anything to panic about. Family history tells me I would definitely get Type 2 at some stage in later life without intervention.

38 minutes ago, blybo said:

Whatever works for you.

I chose my option for the added type 2 diabetes cheating nature of it. My blood sugar levels have usually been in a "let's keep and eye on this" level without anything to panic about. Family history tells me I would definitely get Type 2 at some stage in later life without intervention.

definitely whatever works. I have diabetes in the family too, don't have it, and will do my best to not get it. no 1 thing I have been advised medically is the beneficial effect of weights ie gym. I try my best to include a couple fo days of exercise in the gym each week. not always possible but I do try :)

Update now the "festive season" is over;

On Christmas day I weighed in at 96.5kg when I got up and had a guilt and restriction free day. Today is my 6th day at home since Christmas due to a camping holiday then business trips. This morning I also weighed in at 96.5kg's 😃

I always knew it was going to be difficult to keep to my diet over this period, particularly while in Italy, but have managed to stay with the 2 meals a day for probably 6 days out of 7. Avoiding carbs and sugars completely was just all too hard, but at least while in Oz I could manage most meals to be sugar and carb free, although some salad dressings in takeaway may be full of sugar.

So now I look to continue on the weight loss program. The aim was to loss 23-24kg with a goal of 80kgs. I'm roughly a 3rd of the way there and feeling positive. It's not a difficult diet to deal with as your hunger cravings diminish, but does take some careful reading of labels to see what we can and can't buy at the supermarket or what to have tucked away in the car or work bag for a cheeky snack.

The biggest find so far? Sugar free dark chocolate that actually tastes like normal dark chocolate. There are several nice flavours available too. It can have a laxative effect so another good reason for moderation to only 2 or 3 squares a day :blink:. https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/379293/well-naturally-bars-mint-chocolate-sugar-free

There are now several essence flavoured mineral waters out there to quench my fizzy drink addiction whilst still being much better for me than Diet or No Sugar Coke. A word of warning though, there is 1 called Nexba using Stevia which for me at least has a dramatic laxative effect, there were a few close calls.

Now if I could just get Keto Twisties I'd be set...

latest update;

I'm away in Brisbane now on my 2nd last business trip for a few months. Weighed in at 93.2kg on Friday before I left for this trip. So I'm losing roughly 1kg a week without a whole lot of effort and not calorie counting. I've had a couple of walks while up here to help keep my "move" goals, but I'm stuck in a spot without many dining options. Had chips with dinner yesterday but I'm not kicking myself over it. 1 little cheat a week won't hurt, and I've found a few extra treats. The best 1? Seems pork crackling is a new trend in savoury treats. Very handy for me when needing a treat whilst on the road, and I can eat it guilt free and it also helps to get my electrolyte stores up, as for some reason intermittent fasting reduces your levels.

Yes there are some foods I shouldn't have, but heaps of tasty stuff I can now have which 30 years of brainwashing have told us we shouldn't touch.

Edited by blybo

Im seriously thinking of giving the carnivore diet a crack in that as much as I love my carbs one thing I couldn't live without is meat so this could potentially work. Even allows small amounts of alcohol (WIN!) which if I were to be honest with myself is where I reckon the majority of my calories stem from. The past few weeks have been semi keto for me in that my carb intake has essentially been quartered (along with beer) from my usual eating/drinking habits. Well done @blybo for getting into the low 90's as im about 20 above you at present 😫

But yeah having a nice big fat ribeye for breakfast is something I would definitely look forward to!

55 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Im seriously thinking of giving the carnivore diet a crack in that as much as I love my carbs one thing I couldn't live without is meat so this could potentially work. Even allows small amounts of alcohol (WIN!) which if I were to be honest with myself is where I reckon the majority of my calories stem from. The past few weeks have been semi keto for me in that my carb intake has essentially been quartered (along with beer) from my usual eating/drinking habits. Well done @blybo for getting into the low 90's as im about 20 above you at present 😫

But yeah having a nice big fat ribeye for breakfast is something I would definitely look forward to!

Thanks, I'm now halfway to my goal.

My feeling is that carnivore may be a bridge too far for me, and potentially a very expensive diet. The thing I love about keto is it encourages all the foods us blokes used to feel guilty for eating. I'm not doing true keto as my protein intake is probably still too high, but enjoying a lot more steaks, eggs, bacon, salami, soft cheeses, nuts and even peanut butter on celery sticks are guilt free too. I even enjoy slads and veggies now as I get to drench them in olive or avocado oil, very tasty.

I've changed my alcohol intake but volume is probably the same. I'm drinking more zero sugar pre mixed spirits. I haven't found a scotch & dry zero sugar yet, but that would be my preference, or a gin and diet soda. I find when drinking straight scotch my pours get a little too large as the night goes on, and because I drink quickly (even coffee or tea) I've often had too much before the effects catch up with me 🥃.

Edited by blybo

Guest Muon N'

carnivore diet ? can't help thinking that most fad diets do more harm than good in the long term.

Where is the medical science behind diets like this, I can find no supporting documentation when I search.

Baker, a key figure behind the Carnivore Diet lost his medical licence.

Shawn Baker is an orthopedic surgeon and a major leader in the carnivore diet movement. He authored a book that was released in early 2018 aptly titled The Carnivore Diet. But Baker’s medical license has been revoked. The New Mexico Medical Board ordered the “voluntary and permanent surrender” of his medical license in 2017. (1) “This action was based on failure to report adverse action taken by a healthcare entity and incompetence to practice as a licensee,” the report reads. Baker has released a two-part YouTube video explaining his side of the story. (2) He remains a central figure in the zero-carb, all-meat movement.

Edited by Muon N'

10 hours ago, Muon N' said:

carnivore diet ? can't help thinking that most fad diets do more harm than good in the long term.

Where is the medical science behind diets like this, I can find no supporting documentation when I search.

Baker, a key figure behind the Carnivore Diet lost his medical licence.

Shawn Baker is an orthopedic surgeon and a major leader in the carnivore diet movement. He authored a book that was released in early 2018 aptly titled The Carnivore Diet. But Baker’s medical license has been revoked. The New Mexico Medical Board ordered the “voluntary and permanent surrender” of his medical license in 2017. (1) “This action was based on failure to report adverse action taken by a healthcare entity and incompetence to practice as a licensee,” the report reads. Baker has released a two-part YouTube video explaining his side of the story. (2) He remains a central figure in the zero-carb, all-meat movement.

Yeah agree it does sound a bit hokey on the surface but there seems to be so many doing it who all claim to have had enormous benefits not only from a physical perspective but also a mental one as well (many report a significant reduction in anxiety after being on it for 4 or more weeks) but like everything you also have go in with a degree of caution and in my case I wouldn't be following it religiously (nor could I with any diet)  but will use it more for a bump steer towards a better eating/drinking lifestyle.

I find it incredibly hard to lose even 1kg even when im exercising every day (goal is 15,000 steps daily) and watching what I eat so am beginning to get desperate to try anything that might help.

2 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

many report a significant reduction in anxiety after being on it for 4 or more weeks

From how I understand it, this is due to you using your body's fat stores as brain fuel in stead of glucose, this happens when you are in ketosis, which the carnivore diet is just an extreme example of. Given the choice the brain will use glucose first, but apparently the brain works a little slower on fat, which is a good thing. It results in better focus and less stress.

Personally, my business is in a particularly stressful time right now, but I've found an inner calm I'm still coming to terms with. I can only put it down to the change in my diet. I'm also finding I'm working more diligently and efficiently, rather than spend a 1/3rd of my day looking at the forums.

Edited by blybo

Guest Muon N'

Doesn't sit well with me from a health perspective.

But It's the individuals choice, not mine.