Sign in to follow this  
blybo

Fasting, anybody done it?

I'd love to hear if anybody else has tried it, and how they went, what helped, what didn't.

Purely by accident I found myself looking at a you tube video about fasting on Saturday. It got me thinking that it may well be an option for me as apparently it is very good for insulin resistence. I'm probably 20kg's over my ideal weight and drink too much alcohol. My father and uncle are both type 2 diabetics despite my father eating very healthy ( I drink more in 1 day than he would in a month) and he has only ever been maybe 5-10kg overweight in his whole life.

For quite some time I've dabbled with a low carb, low sugar diet but have struggled with eating junk food as savoury foods are a bigger issue for me than sugary ones. Don't get me wrong, I'll chow down on doughnuts or jube lollies with the best of em, if they are put in front of me.

I had a late lunch yesterday and only had dinner last night because my kids were, my wife was working late. I thought to myself, why am I eating this so gave the excess to the dogs. I had already decided I was having an alcohol free week so only had a cup of tea last night and no snacks. When I got up this morning and I still wasn't hungry, I thought that's it, I'm going to give it a try and I'm currently 16 hours in and only now starting to get a rumbling tummy. I've heard for overweight people a 3-4 day fast is the most beneficial, so I definitely won't go any longer than that, but let's see how long I can go without giving in. Apparently the first day is when you feel hungry, then it's pretty easy physically, emotionally may be VERY different for me. I did a 4 day vegetable juicing detox once and day 3 was a killer, even though I lost 5 kg's in 4 days and felt amazing at the end of it.

A friend is badly overweight and her doctor has put her on a challenge were she must fast for a minimum of 14hrs per day, and also almost entirely cutting out carbs and sugars. My wife said she has lost about 6kgs in only a few weeks, but she probably has another 40 to lose.

I feel like I need to do something I need to lose my beer belly by my daughters wedding in March - to be fair I’m only about 10kg over my optimum weight

5 : 2 diet is a big winner. Lots of research been done . Have done it myself in the past. Based on what the body naturally does when limited in calorie intake. Dr Mosley has tried and thought it was well worth the effort.

Google is your friend 👌

1 minute ago, A J said:

I feel like I need to do something I need to lose my beer belly by my daughters wedding in March - to be fair I’m only about 10kg over my optimum weight

The thing I like about the intermittent fasting is that your metabolism can actually increase. I see my Mum who restricted her calories for years and years, now if she has a big meals, even a healthy one, I can guarantee she will put weight on because she's killed her metabolism.

11 minutes ago, Mr 57 said:

5 : 2 diet is a big winner. Lots of research been done . Have done it myself in the past. Based on what the body naturally does when limited in calorie intake. Dr Mosley has tried and thought it was well worth the effort.

Google is your friend 👌

I've heard 5:2 gives you just enough calories on the fasting days to keep you perpetually hungry. On a true water only fast, you apparently get past feeling hungry quite quickly and people can go for days on end without feeling hungry. When their hunger returns it's their bodies way of saying okay, this has gone on long enough, eat something. I won't be going that far, but if on something like a 5:2 I'd only have 1 meals on the fast day, not snacking on multiple small meals, as I believe that largely defeats the purpose of the fast.

This of course is all dependent on how I cope mentally with it all.

There are so many “flavours”out there...just like our music and choice of how it’s presented. Good luck, hope you find one that works for you. Can be the start of a whole new way of life. Good luck 👍

this is what set me down this path...

I've been doing the 16/8 or 18/6 every day for over 3 years now. I have it so under control that i can actually do OMAD (one meal a day) many days of the week also.

I have stuck to it and will continue to do this for the foreseeable future. It not only keeps my weight easily under control, it also has so many health and well being benefits. We all eat way too many calories, and IF is an easy way to keep what you eat under control.

I have heaps to add so will come back to this when i'm back at home tonight! 

11 minutes ago, wikeeboy said:

I've been doing the 16/8 or 18/6 every day for over 3 years now. I have it so under control that i can actually do OMAD (one meal a day) many days of the week also.

I have stuck to it and will continue to do this for the foreseeable future. It not only keeps my weight easily under control, it also has so many health and well being benefits. We all eat way too many calories, and IF is an easy way to keep what you eat under control.

I have heaps to add so will come back to this when i'm back at home tonight! 

I look forward to hearing more from you. Sounds like you are quite passionate about it.

The benefits for me as I see it are;

Weight loss obviously

Reducing risk of type 2 Diabetes

Indirectly limiting my alcohol consumption

Guest JohnA

i dont buy into any of these fancy diets, or fasting stuff.

I was 120kg many moons ago, and basically, just stopped eating crap, stopped drinking alcohol and any sugary drinks. I am now 73kg
Just ate healthy and clean. Sure i counted calories, kept it to 1800 a day.
I have kept the weight off now for years and have never put it back on.
These days i allow myself a bad meal once a week and the occasional drink and still dont put on any weight.

A friend of mine is on the keto diet, but what he has found is without the carbs, he can no longer keep up on our bike rides or put in the explosive efforts he use to.

Good luck on your journey blybo, no matter which way you chose to do it. You will soon figure out what works best for you

I know someone going a 1 day fasting a week and it works well.

any more can be risky. I know myself, have done some variations and you have to be carefull. I have done a doctors approach and worked a while controlling diet. just as per john above... cut out the cr@p

problem is I travel a bit at times and that in itself limits choices.... and can be easily led astray

I found missing on some vitals fruits / veggies / carbs / dairy / meat all has its down fall. particularly nutrients and vitamins etc things like fruit and veggies bring. it actually hit my immune system things like sinus and hay fever etc. so had to re balance.

for portioning I have been adviced to limit look at palm of your hand... that should be a meal portion. any more is too much. problem with snacking is no control on that and some things like chocolate lollies, biscuits, ice cream, chips, cakes, sugary drinks  etc are so packed with stuff it just blows out the ball park anything can do to counter with exercise. 

blybo I'm wiht you. where at times I am wondering why I  am eating... dont feel hungry. just eating for sake of it family meal etc. I need to pull back....

I have been aiming last couple of weeks to eat during day lighter at night times. seems to suit me.

breakfast, good lunch rest is light on. I've lost a kg a week which is good. but I have to couple wiht exercise seems no ways around that.  

5 minutes ago, JohnA said:

I was 120kg many moons ago, and basically, just stopped eating crap, stopped drinking alcohol and any sugary drinks. I am now 73kg
Just ate healthy and clean. Sure i counted calories, kept it to 1800 a day.
I have kept the weight off now for years and have never put it back on.
These days i allow myself a bad meal once a week and the occasional drink and still dont put on any weight.

A friend of mine is on the keto diet, but what he has found is without the carbs, he can no longer keep up on our bike rides or put in the explosive efforts he use to.

Good luck on your journey blybo, no matter which way you chose to do it. You will soon figure out what works best for you

That's awesome for you John. I wish I had the will power to eat better without my lapses. I do actually eat pretty well but it's the drinking and salty treats that let down an other wise very healthy diet.

Interestingly I've just learned of a test on elite cyclists, and apparently their endurance and VO2 max increased on a keto diet, but sprints or intervals suffered. Perhaps your friend is doing something to drag him out of ketosis???

It will be interesting to see how I respond, and one of the reasons I'm leaning to intermittent fasting is to moderately carb up on a Saturday night, as it is Sundays when I do my 2hr+ rides. At least in the short term, losing weight will have a much bigger impact than lack of carbs on my cycling. When I did the CSIRO diet, I was able to do long rides but used protein bars rather than energy bars or drinks to help keep me fuelled, and I was only doing "base" type rides

5 minutes ago, :) al said:

I know someone going a 1 day fasting a week and it works well.

any more can be risky

I wouldn't continually do multiple day fasts, but have also read up to 72 hours and you can reset your immune system too. Above all, I guess we are evolved to fast at times so I'm not worried about it, more my will power.

I'm not clock watching but I'm now 18 hours in and not hungry at all, but certainly feeling less bloated than I was at dinner last night.

Interestingly 1 major theory behind fasting not being a thing until recently is there isn't really a way to make money out of it except for selling a few books.

23 minutes ago, JohnA said:

I see the basic idea of fasting to be as far removed from a whacky diet as you can get. There is no calorie counting. I think it is more a lifestyle thing

The old cave man only ate once a day ..........once he captured and cooked his prey, then he ate big and went to sleep.

Could be something in it......:thumb:

MMA fighter George St Pierre is right into it and says he is feeling the best he ever has. Cognitive skills improve and more energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4y-Cq2mRvY

Good luck, if it is going to help you then go for it...

26 minutes ago, :) al said:

problem is I travel a bit at times and that in itself limits choices.... and can be easily led astray

I found missing on some vitals fruits / veggies / carbs / dairy / meat all has its down fall. particularly nutrients and vitamins etc things like fruit and veggies bring. it actually hit my immune system things like sinus and hay fever etc. so had to re balance.

for portioning I have been adviced to limit look at palm of your hand... that should be a meal portion. any more is too much. problem with snacking is no control on that and some things like chocolate lollies, biscuits, ice cream, chips, cakes, sugary drinks  etc are so packed with stuff it just blows out the ball park anything can do to counter with exercise. 

Yeah, you travel more regularly than I do, but I tend to have intense times where I'm travelling almost every week for a couple of months. I usually am going back to the same places over and over again so am slowly finding healthy options that don't break the bank or take too long to have prepared.

Here the study on immunity

https://www.gaia.com/article/fasting-resets-immune-system

The problem for me with savoury or sweet treats is i tend to be guilty eating them so finish the bag to hide evidence 🙄

My dream bike is still on the horizon if I can loose 15kg. And if I loose 15kg, I'll actually enjoy riding far more than currently.