blybo

Fasting, anybody done it?

I'd love to hear if anybody else has tried it, and how they went, what helped, what didn't.

Purely by accident I found myself looking at a you tube video about fasting on Saturday. It got me thinking that it may well be an option for me as apparently it is very good for insulin resistence. I'm probably 20kg's over my ideal weight and drink too much alcohol. My father and uncle are both type 2 diabetics despite my father eating very healthy ( I drink more in 1 day than he would in a month) and he has only ever been maybe 5-10kg overweight in his whole life.

For quite some time I've dabbled with a low carb, low sugar diet but have struggled with eating junk food as savoury foods are a bigger issue for me than sugary ones. Don't get me wrong, I'll chow down on doughnuts or jube lollies with the best of em, if they are put in front of me.

I had a late lunch yesterday and only had dinner last night because my kids were, my wife was working late. I thought to myself, why am I eating this so gave the excess to the dogs. I had already decided I was having an alcohol free week so only had a cup of tea last night and no snacks. When I got up this morning and I still wasn't hungry, I thought that's it, I'm going to give it a try and I'm currently 16 hours in and only now starting to get a rumbling tummy. I've heard for overweight people a 3-4 day fast is the most beneficial, so I definitely won't go any longer than that, but let's see how long I can go without giving in. Apparently the first day is when you feel hungry, then it's pretty easy physically, emotionally may be VERY different for me. I did a 4 day vegetable juicing detox once and day 3 was a killer, even though I lost 5 kg's in 4 days and felt amazing at the end of it.

A friend is badly overweight and her doctor has put her on a challenge were she must fast for a minimum of 14hrs per day, and also almost entirely cutting out carbs and sugars. My wife said she has lost about 6kgs in only a few weeks, but she probably has another 40 to lose.

I feel like I need to do something I need to lose my beer belly by my daughters wedding in March - to be fair I’m only about 10kg over my optimum weight

5 : 2 diet is a big winner. Lots of research been done . Have done it myself in the past. Based on what the body naturally does when limited in calorie intake. Dr Mosley has tried and thought it was well worth the effort.

Google is your friend 👌

1 minute ago, A J said:

I feel like I need to do something I need to lose my beer belly by my daughters wedding in March - to be fair I’m only about 10kg over my optimum weight

The thing I like about the intermittent fasting is that your metabolism can actually increase. I see my Mum who restricted her calories for years and years, now if she has a big meals, even a healthy one, I can guarantee she will put weight on because she's killed her metabolism.

11 minutes ago, Mr 57 said:

5 : 2 diet is a big winner. Lots of research been done . Have done it myself in the past. Based on what the body naturally does when limited in calorie intake. Dr Mosley has tried and thought it was well worth the effort.

Google is your friend 👌

I've heard 5:2 gives you just enough calories on the fasting days to keep you perpetually hungry. On a true water only fast, you apparently get past feeling hungry quite quickly and people can go for days on end without feeling hungry. When their hunger returns it's their bodies way of saying okay, this has gone on long enough, eat something. I won't be going that far, but if on something like a 5:2 I'd only have 1 meals on the fast day, not snacking on multiple small meals, as I believe that largely defeats the purpose of the fast.

This of course is all dependent on how I cope mentally with it all.

There are so many “flavours”out there...just like our music and choice of how it’s presented. Good luck, hope you find one that works for you. Can be the start of a whole new way of life. Good luck 👍

this is what set me down this path...

I've been doing the 16/8 or 18/6 every day for over 3 years now. I have it so under control that i can actually do OMAD (one meal a day) many days of the week also.

I have stuck to it and will continue to do this for the foreseeable future. It not only keeps my weight easily under control, it also has so many health and well being benefits. We all eat way too many calories, and IF is an easy way to keep what you eat under control.

I have heaps to add so will come back to this when i'm back at home tonight! 

11 minutes ago, wikeeboy said:

I've been doing the 16/8 or 18/6 every day for over 3 years now. I have it so under control that i can actually do OMAD (one meal a day) many days of the week also.

I have stuck to it and will continue to do this for the foreseeable future. It not only keeps my weight easily under control, it also has so many health and well being benefits. We all eat way too many calories, and IF is an easy way to keep what you eat under control.

I have heaps to add so will come back to this when i'm back at home tonight! 

I look forward to hearing more from you. Sounds like you are quite passionate about it.

The benefits for me as I see it are;

Weight loss obviously

Reducing risk of type 2 Diabetes

Indirectly limiting my alcohol consumption