I have the DX7s. It's the self powered, balanced output version of the D50.

Apparently Topping is planning to release a ESS Sabre 9038 Pro based DAC like the DX7s but with the 9038 Pro chip.

Well it seems the AUD$429.99 for the D70 might be an invalid price, since payments are apparently not being processed. The same seller has the D70 for US$429.99...

I notice several SNA members have ordered the D70. I'd be very interested in your impressions once you set them up. 

From what I've read on the ASR site, a coaxial connection seems to get the best results from this DAC. 

Yes, seems AES or coaxial options provide the best performance, though I guess the listening will be the ultimate guide. So anyone using the D70 in their systems?

On 07/08/2019 at 10:22 PM, goldiver said:

From what I've read on the ASR site, a coaxial connection seems to get the best results from this DAC. 

Interesting. What was that based on? Does that mean for ideal USB use it would perform better with a separate USB to SPDIF converter?

3 hours ago, was_a said:

Yes, seems AES or coaxial options provide the best performance

I skimmed over the entire thread and couldn't find any measurements comparing AES or coaxial to USB. Where did you two come up with such a conclusion?

20 minutes ago, Asedillo said:

I almost grab a D70 until I heard a denafrips :)  

which denafrips

6 minutes ago, ray4410 said:

which denafrips

Hi, just ARES one....I'm currently using a loaner old ARES while waiting for the ARES II to arrive.

Alright, I've received the demo Fein DAC II to compare with the Topping D70. Here is what I've noticed:

Anyway, my initial impressions of the Fein DAC 2 is that there is a noticeable improvement in precision, instrument separation and 'airiness' compared to the Topping D70, which sounded a bit thicker on USB connection. This could be an effect of the different output stage and psu Clayton uses for the Fein Dac 2 

I will try the coaxial output on both units as well. 

Both are good units and will serve their users well. I will say that Fein DAC II definitely has improved casework compared to the GroB unit I had before. 

Clayton has done a great job with the Fein DAC II, in my opinion.