Sign in to follow this  

P.S. I used linear power supplies on the D30 and D50s.

6 minutes ago, was_a said:

P.S. I used linear power supplies on the D30 and D50s.

Different components in the PSU such as storage caps  can alter SQ drastically.

2 hours ago, was_a said:

I feel that a better-developed output stage would improve things , as would twin transformers!

Transformers on the output stage? Or power supply?

Power.

Edited by was_a

I put an order for an Topping DX7 Pro on Shenzhen Audio. Once I receive it, I hope to compare it to the D70.

I have received the DX7 Pro today, it's smaller than I thought it would be! It's actually smaller than the D70!

I should add that I have heard that HiFiGear.com.au will be updating their website soon with some new products including the Topping DX7 Pro, the D50s and the D70.

@Suopermanni any chance of a review of the DX7pro ? 😀

Edited by Ozflyer

On 17/10/2019 at 11:54 PM, Suopermanni said:

I have received the DX7 Pro today, it's smaller than I thought it would be! It's actually smaller than the D70!

All Toppings are small! That's a major selling point, I suppose. Look forward to your impressions.

Sorry for taking so long, fellow stereo.net users! I got busier than I thought I would be around this time of year. At least I get out of the house more.

Anyway,  I have listened to the Dx7 Pro extensively over the past month I've had it and for just $100 more than the D70, you do get a fair bit of improvement if the measurements on ASR are to be believed.

At least in my experience, there is some definite improvements in the bass regions, certainly less boomy midbass on my LCD4 compared to D70. I also think the highs are a bit more pronounced on the DX7 Pro but suprisingly not sibilant as I've found other ESS Sabre DACs that I've had based on the 9018. Should note that I've haven't heard many more modern ESS Sabre DAC implementations so take my impressions with some scepticism. 

Sorry, I know this is a D70 thread, however I recently purchased the new D50s to compliment my JDS Labs Atom headphone amp. It's an amazing little DAC and a great option if you want to spend a little less. I am extremely happy with it.

The added benefit over the original D50 is the inclusion of bluetooth and a remote control. Also, as detailed over at Audio Science Review, it fixes the "ESS Hump" common on all ESS DAC implementations (link below).

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-new-topping-d50s-dac.7914/ 

Brought a D10 to use as a usb converter for a Windows 10 based desktop system and  was also impressed by its Dac SQ  for the money and was thinking i might try a D70 in my main system

The issue is my Yamaha AS2000 is limited to 2.8 volts via its balanced input and the D70 has a  output of 4 volts.

The Topping can be used as a preamp as well so does that mean if i lower the dac volume control in pre mode it will lower the dac output voltage to get me down to below 2.8v????

Cheers Geoff

Yes.

16 hours ago, was_a said:

Yes.

Just reread my post from yesterday and i have not explained myself very well by using the wording "In Pre Mode".

What i wanted to do is use the d70 as a dac only to my integrated  and wanted to know if lowering the dac volume would lower the voltage?

After doing some more reading last night i think it might not do this?

Cheers Geoff

In the menu you have the option to switch off the volume control i.e. Dac mode. For a direct connection to your integrated amp, leaving the volume control on won't harm the resolution if you're only dialling it back by 10dB or so.

Edited by was_a

@was_a this is something I agree with you on!

Thank you! 🙂 You see, people can always find common ground somewhere...!

Mind you, you wouldn't have been happy with me had you seen my posts on ASR. I registered and posted in Amir's review of the Gustard A22 DAC. I thanked him for his measurements, with the proviso that such measurements should only be used as a guide to performance, not an indication of sound quality. 

Above my post was another from a member wanting to know how the Gustard A22 sounded. I repeated his question. 

It was like disturbing a swarm of bees. Three or four brainwashed zombies replied one after the other, laying into me, dismissing my question on how the A22 sounded as nonsense

I replied politely, saying a DAC's sound quality was mainly influenced by the analogue output stage, power supply, circuit design, component choices, use of interpolation filters. Noise and distortion metrics wouldn't tell you much, I said.

Well, that was it. You should have read the responses. They went crazy!!!

The next day my posts had been deleted by a moderator, who described me as a TROLL who had been permanently banned.

The internet can be a dangerous place!

Edited by was_a

47 minutes ago, was_a said:

Thank you! 🙂 You see, people can always find common ground somewhere...!

Mind you, you wouldn't have been happy with me had you seen my posts on ASR. I registered and posted in Amir's review of the Gustard A22 DAC. I thanked him for his measurements, with the proviso that such measurements should only be used as a guide to performance, not an indication of sound quality. 

Above my post was another from a member wanting to know how the Gustard A22 sounded. I repeated the question. 

It was like disturbing a swarm of bees. Three or four brainwashed zombies replied one after the other, laying into me, describing my question on how the A22 sounded as nonsense

I replied politely, saying a DAC's sound quality was mainly influenced by the analogue output stage, power supply, circuit design, component choices, use of interpolation filters. Noise and distortion metrics wouldn't tell you much, I said.

Well, that was it. You should have read the responses. They went crazy!!!

The next day my posts had been deleted by a moderator, who described me as a TROLL who had been permanently banned.

The internet can be a dangerous place!

Yes, well that seems a serious over reaction.

I'll have to look at the thread.

There are people on every forum who take things too seriously.

While they may have perceived your post as trolling every opinion needs to be tested. There was no reason to ban you.

I support your right to make your comments and detest any censorship. 

There you are, two points of agreement.

That doesn't mean I agree with your reliance on subjective listening over objective measurement as reason to choose one DAC over another.

OK. I looked at the ASR post/s you made as Tonto? Is that the user name you used on ASR?

Obviously I can't see the posts that were removed.

Still, I totally agree with @pozz ,on ASR. You are barking up the wrong tree thinking a DAC will to contribute to detail, soundstage width/depth, imaging and treble/bass extension. If it is a good measuring DAC it will present those attributes correctly. A good DAC will present the information unaltered and will not contribute to detail, soundstage width/depth, imaging and treble/bass extension.

Still you have the right to debate the issue even if I don't agree with your opinion.

Tonto was the guy who initially asked the question. I followed up. I just wanted to know if Amir had listened to the Gustard A-22 and if it sounded any good. 

I get quite excited when a new chip comes out. In my opinion the latest chips by Sabre and AKM have improved the sound quality of many DAC designs. While it's unsafe to generalise, I believe that modern DACs sound a lot better than DACs and CD players a decade ago.

Edited by was_a

1 hour ago, a.dent said:

That doesn't mean I agree with your reliance on subjective listening over objective measurement as reason to choose one DAC over another.

I understand where you're coming from. In my defence, I wouldn't say I rely on listening to judge a DAC's merits; measurements are a useful guide to performance and we ignore them at our peril. (I can think of a few products where obvious design flaws - or character traits! - showed up in distortion figures or frequency charts and were clearly audible in the listening chair).

My approach is firstly to look at a component's specs, then read measurements, reviews, opinions, and listen to the component. In my last post on ASR I pointed out that electronic engineers and designers spend an enormous amount of time listening to their prototypes as part of the design process. This subjective process - to borrow your word - is absolutely vital.

(On ASR the crowd went even more berserk when I posted that).

So yes, a.dent, ultimately my ears will be the final arbiter when deciding on a DAC. Perhaps this is where you and I differ?

Edited by was_a

1 hour ago, a.dent said:

Still, I totally agree with @pozz ,on ASR. You are barking up the wrong tree thinking a DAC will to contribute to detail, soundstage width/depth, imaging and treble/bass extension. If it is a good measuring DAC it will present those attributes correctly. A good DAC will present the information unaltered and will not contribute to detail, soundstage width/depth, imaging and treble/bass extension.

And we differ here, certainly, because I strongly disagree! 

But luckily neither of us will be labelled as trolls and banned, I hope!