Project Speedbox SE with VPI Traveler

Hey peeps,

Does anyone know if I can connect my Traveler turntable to a Speedbox SE?

I believe I have the AC motor Traveler (no walwart).

I cannot find any info of how many watts the motor needs, the Speedbox outputs 3w.

Also, the Speedbox output power socket has two sockets, it does not have the earth/ground socket.

Will this be an issue? 

• Administrator

Physical connections aside, and unless my google searches are feeding me incorrect model numbers and specs, the Speed Box operates on 16V AC output, whereas the VPI Traveller motor is 24V AC. So I would suggest not.

Rega Neo turntable PSU

Has a 24v output

https://www.apollohifi.com.au/rega-neo-turntable-power-supply.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAuMTfBRAcEiwAV4SDkaY1F1TuPUaM5KjemgmWOHEhJ1EOTdnEuxdrL37z2DZRvORQ8QiuhBoCz5gQAvD_BwE

I am sure @andyr has mentioned speed controllers previously. 

Edited by EV Cali

4 hours ago, Marc said:

Physical connections aside, and unless my google searches are feeding me incorrect model numbers and specs, the Speed Box operates on 16V AC output, whereas the VPI Traveller motor is 24V AC. So I would suggest not.

Speedbox SE can output 16V AC and 230V AC both in 3 watts.

My Traveler (I believe it's version 1) has an IEC socket and the cable has no walwart, so I assume it takes 240V AC into the motor unit.

Based on searches in the forum a member used a Phoenix engineering eagle psu because his VPI Aries used a 10W motor and could not use the Phoenix engineering falcon psu which only had a 5 watt output.

This is why I am curious as to what watt motor the VPI Traveler uses, if it has a 3W motor, I hope I can use it with a Speedbox SE as my turntable runs under 33.33.

15426164222555083369523851522643.thumb.jpg.29c1b56a5785cf7098e2f2527d5f4e55.jpg

You seem to be lacking full understanding of what you need, @reflux075?

@Marc has told you the VPI Traveller uses a 24v AC motor.  But, yes, you meed to know whether it is a 10w motor (like the VPI Aries which you quoted, whose owner needed to use a Phoenix Engineering 'Eagle' PSU) or a less wattage AC motor - which could've matched with a Phoenix Engineering 'Falcon' PSU.  In either case, though:

1. you will have to modify your VPI Traveler, as you say it currently has an IEC socket.  (This means it is designed to accept 240v from the wall - so it must have some kind of "motor controller" circuit inside, to transform 240v to 24v.  Hence if you start using an external motor speed controller - like the Rega Neo which @EV Cali mentioned - you will have to feed the output of this, directly to your AC motor (bypassing the IEC connector.)
  2. even if the Traveler motor is only 5w, it would seem that the Speedbox SE you are so keen on (is it cheap?) won't be suitable - as it is designed for either a 16v AC motor or a 230v AC motor.
  3. you probably can't buy a Phoenix Engineering unit, anyway, as the company has closed down (I'm not sure whether Bob carked it … or simply retired  :) .)

There is another option I know of - which I'm pretty sure is able to drive a VPI motor - and that is Steve Tuckett's "Number 9" unit (I've been using a prototype for a while, with a 24v Rega (Premotec!) AC motor).  @Number 9 - perhaps you would like to provide your input for the OP.

Andy

I always understood that the Speedboxes with an AC output generate their own AC output and so they can control the speed by adjusting the internally generated frequency.  This is how they are used on early Rega and turntables like the Rock.  You just plug your turntable AC lead into the Speedbox and Voila!

1 hour ago, andyr said:

@Marc has told you the VPI Traveller uses a 24v AC motor.  But, yes, you meed to know whether it is a 10w motor (like the VPI Aries which you quoted, whose owner needed to use a Phoenix Engineering 'Eagle' PSU) or a less wattage AC motor - which could've matched with a Phoenix Engineering 'Falcon' PSU.  In either case, though:

1. you will have to modify your VPI Traveler, as you say it currently has an IEC socket.  (This means it is designed to accept 240v from the wall - so it must have some kind of "motor controller" circuit inside, to transform 240v to 24v.  Hence if you start using an external motor speed controller - like the Rega Neo which @EV Cali mentioned - you will have to feed the output of this, directly to your AC motor (bypassing the IEC connector.)
  2. even if the Traveler motor is only 5w, it would seem that the Speedbox SE you are so keen on (is it cheap?) won't be suitable - as it is designed for either a 16v AC motor or a 230v AC motor.
  3. you probably can't buy a Phoenix Engineering unit, anyway, as the company has closed down (I'm not sure whether Bob carked it … or simply retired  :) .)

There is another option I know of - which I'm pretty sure is able to drive a VPI motor - and that is Steve Tuckett's "Number 9" unit (I've been using a prototype for a while, with a 24v Rega (Premotec!) AC motor).  @Number 9 - perhaps you would like to provide your input for the OP.

Andy

1 hour ago, andyr said:

Andy

Hi @andyr,

I do not believe you have to bypass the IEC socket to use the Phoenix PSUs on VPI turntables, I might be wrong on this, which leads me to maybe wrongly believe I can use the Speedbox SE.

I have a Speedbox SE that has been sitting in the cupboard and I thought I'd check if I could use it with the VPI.

Yup, cannot get the Phoenix units and the Number 9 units are quite expensive.

Ok I have answers! First up the Traveler V1 uses a 4w motor. A 3w power supply MAY work but eventually it will fail due to overload, so it's not recommended. VPI also cautioned the pairing; their concern being how the device manages to output 230v with a 16v input in such a small box! 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Krispy Audio said:

Ok I have answers! First up the Traveler V1 uses a 4w motor. A 3w power supply MAY work but eventually it will fail due to overload, so it's not recommended. VPI also cautioned the pairing; their concern being how the device manages to output 230v with a 16v input in such a small box! 

@mwhouston does that from memory. I'm sure he can explain☺️

2 hours ago, Wimbo said:

@mwhouston does that from memory. I'm sure he can explain☺️

Yes for low current devices 16VAC into a step down tranni backwards will give 230V. So input the 16V into the secondary of the step down tranni. Regulation is not good but if the device requiring 230V does not require a lot of current it shouldn't be an issue. The other way is with SMPSs. These are becoming the norm for any sort of voltage step up or step downs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Krispy Audio said:

@Krispy Audio Thanks so much for taking the time to get an answer, guess I will be moving the Speedbox on.

Thanks everyone for all your input as well, its so good to have a place where people are keen to indulge silly questions that I cannot find the info for :thumb:

• Like 1