Would you be willing to pay for advice on Hifi?

Had to "google" WAF; "Wife Approval Factor"....good one! If I survive today I'll give that some consideration. She started it by commenting on the tombstones (Vandersteen Treo CT) in the lounge room and the need to "think small"....

Cheers

Guest jakeyb77

It’s a shame you’d have to think about paying for it. If only there was more people in SNA willing to give their opinions... ????

Edited by jakeyb77

On 13/02/2019 at 12:06 PM, joz said:

But do real audiophiles actually want advice? Many it would seem are very selective about opinions already.

It seems the way most turn over gear that nothing would satisfy them long term anyhow.

Given the wide range of opinions as to what "Sounds good" I would prefer to do it myself. Many years ago at a HiFi show I heard the sound that stayed in my head. I cant even remember what equipment but I knew that music could be reproduced like that and have wanted that sound forever. I never had the means or place to set up such equipment until now. My equipment is quite modest compared to most here but the sound is pretty much the sound I have been pursuing since that time. I have learned along the way that others would consider my preference to be "bright". If I had therefore listened to others opinions of what sounds "good" I may have never got here.

On 13/02/2019 at 12:06 PM, joz said:

Then the poor uninformed noob may get sold anything that makes the most money.

My experience with "informed" dealers  has been uniformly uninspiring.

• Like 1

On 18/11/2018 at 6:13 PM, blakey72 said:

Ok. So if you were just getting into hifi or been in for a while and just wanted some educated advice on what to upgrade to from people that have been in the industry/hobby for a long time, would you be willing to pay for it? I've seen guys that have spent $15k on systems and hate them cause the shop said this will be good. Say you're spending $5k. would you give up $500 to get 10 suggestions on something that might work synergy wise from word go. Instead of chasing your tail. Or if you're after a budget ststem and want to spend $1000 would yoy spend $100 to get advice on second hand gear, say 4 choices?

The company does the research, gives the links to the place new or second hand and you go listen and say yes or no? So basically it's like a dating agency and you pay the dollars, the research is done and you get the results to try.......

Absolutely not, I like to research and listen for myself within my budget, the thrill of HiFi is experimenting and taking a punt, trying gear out but most of all just enjoying your music and not being to critical, it's all about the music after all

• Like 1

On 18/11/2018 at 6:17 PM, blakey72 said:

Hey let's face it. When you ask for advice people usually advise what they have or have had. It's a skewed way to go about advice sometimes. Wouldn't an opinionated advisory be of more help?

Good God no. There is so much drivel out there in audiophilia stated as 'fact' that it would be like getting oncological advice from a homeopath.

• Love 1

On 13/02/2019 at 12:36 PM, joz said:

But do real audiophiles actually want advice? Many it would seem are very selective about opinions already.

It seems the way most turn over gear that nothing would satisfy them long term anyhow.

Then the poor uninformed noob may get sold anything that makes the most money.

I'm not sure real audiophiles would be the target. BUT most people on here are just that and forums are basically a way of getting opinions.

'What if' the consultant could 'measure' the sound the client liked and then match as close as possible.

Edited by blakey72

2 hours ago, blakey72 said:

I think I may have meant unopinionated :) Well non-biased

By all means. You'll find that in the store between Unicorns and Sasquatch and opposite politicians with integrity.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 18/11/2018 at 6:13 PM, blakey72 said:

Would you be willing to pay for advice on Hifi?

Yes and no.  Yes,  I would be willing to pay up to about $200-300 for the right advice, from someone very experienced., if I'm going to spend $5-10k. However,  my issue is finding and trusting such individual, therefore No,  it's highly unlikely I would pay random person for it, since I can't be sure his advice will be "right" for me. 

On 18/11/2018 at 12:11 AM, emesbee said:

While I'm certainly no expert, I think I've learnt enough about hi-fi over the years to be wary about paying for advice. How would you know if the advice was worth the money, and not just someone trying to sell you a particular product?

To quote Martin, the manger of Carlton Audio visual, one of the owners "Rab never lets the truth get in the way of a sale" verbatim. 

Guest kryten2001

Good question. It's a bit hard to pay for advice in this field, as there's no real such thing as true unbiased advice. Plus there's always a conflict of interest as those who generally hand out the advice are the same cats who are selling you the gear.

Best thing you can do is find somebody you trust, take their advice and then validate it.

Most people aren't as hardcore as people on here though. The average punter just goes into a hifi shop and asks "what's the best system I can get for $2k"... The rest have likely already done their research and can't be told left from right.