Beatles “White Album” 2018 version. Is it worth buying

Hi 

Just trying to find out whether it is worth buying the new version of the new remastered Beatles “ White Album” 2018 by Giles Martin. I’m considering buying this album but does anyone think there will be any significant  improvements from the last remaster? ???

I believe that the people involved did a lot of forensic listening 

Many tracks had dozens of takes and at the time the Beatles themselves chose the version they preferred best to be used 

Having  seen / heard & read about the backstory of the 2018 release is that it will surprise many on its authenticity 

I haven’t heard the album myself so can’t give a review 

My only concern is adding to much bass to spoil the original - generally this bass loading is more pronounced on CD 

59 minutes ago, Peter-C said:

Mine comes on Tuesday.

Here's a review by Mike Fremer on Analog Planet

Reading that - so the 4LP version is pressed at a different place than the Double LP version which is done at QRP? Wonder if they sound different.

edit: cheers for the link, great read

Edited by Andrews_melb

Was tempted to buy this, or one of the many new versions of this album, but inspired by the fuss Iv'e just played my original again after many years. I played it to death when it first came out, every song branded on my soul, it truly was an album that helped shaped my tastes in music. Having read a couple of articles re the new version and the chaotic creative, recording and production process of the original I just cannot imagine how my album sounds so wonderful through my SGR's. Fremer remarks on the harshness of the first version but I don't hear that, - lack of bass? no-way, it's bloody perfect.

So there's the rub, why spend a heap of money on what would be just an academic exercise in comparing the new to the old and picking apart the differences or 'improvements'. Now if you don't possess this record in any form I would say you should buy it, it's essential listening. Though there are one or two tracks that I know I would turn my nose up at if I were hearing them for the first time, even they have become a part of my DNA over the years and love them equally as I would an ugly child.

Well, maybe Number 9 will always be locked in the attic. To be truthful today was the first time ever that I played that track through in it's entirety and actually listened to it. Never understood why they (Lennon) would want to do such a weird and erratic thing to me. I still don't, though I must say I almost enjoyed it today, like listening to a re-discovered time capsule, hearing the influences for so many future recordings and marvelling at the collage in a sound stage of separate noises and effects and palpable presence in space before me.

Won't buy the new, I have what I need.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Andrews_melb said:

Reading that - so the 4LP version is pressed at a different place than the Double LP version which is done at QRP? Wonder if they sound different.

edit: cheers for the link, great read

The 4LP set is pressed @ Optimal in Germany. Arguably the best pressing plant in the world.

I really enjoyed the Sgt Peppers remix last year - I am on the fence if I buy this or not.  I would be buying it more for the Esher demo's than the remix.

For one thing, it will be in another universe vs the POS awful 2012 stereo vinyl remaster.

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Andrews_melb said:

Same here @Grimmie, i was tempted till i gave my copy a spin. Sounds fine to me, an older copy from my mother in law. 

i think i would have been tempted had the 2lp been pressed at optimal. 

@metal beat i also liked that sgt peppers, and the extra lp of demos

9118414E-73E5-42DA-8537-CE6FB806579F.jpeg

QRP is the USA's best pressing plant with RTI.  I would not be worried if that is your only concern.   There is also a French MPO pressing as well as a Euro pressing - not sure where,  but probably Optimal at a guess.

• Like 1

The 4LP set is pressed @ Optimal in Germany. Arguably the best pressing plant in the world.

I really enjoyed the Sgt Peppers remix last year - I am on the fence if I buy this or not.  I would be buying it more for the Esher demo's than the remix.

For one thing, it will be in another universe vs the POS awful 2012 stereo vinyl remaster.
I grabbed it, welcome to have a listen mate.
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, scuzzii said:
1 hour ago, metal beat said:

Read more  

I grabbed it, welcome to have a listen mate.

how do you like it John?     or not :blink:

you are on the way home from work :D

Edited by metal beat

gotta laugh at thus paragraph from Fremer's review.    harsh but true :D

As for the Esher Demos, they are truly wondrous. John brought 15 songs, Paul 7 and George 5. You are in the Kinfauns Bungalow as they strum, bang and shake and you’ll love every minute of it—on vinyl. When I played the CD version (on a dCS Rossini, which is among the best CD players you’ll hear) all of that magic disappeared. I was hearing a plastic-sounding recording. Was it different EQ? Was it the downrez from 96/24 to 16/44.1? I don’t know and I don’t care. Am I prejudiced against CDs? Damn straight I am! Based on what I hear and nothing else.

Guest Eggcup The Daft
9 hours ago, Full Range said:

My only concern is adding to much bass to spoil the original - generally this bass loading is more pronounced on CD 

True, happens a lot with digital remasters.

More often than not, that "loading" is actually the bass that was originally recorded... the level is reduced when cutting an LP for the sake of tracking.

Having said that, with something as precious as this album, the original vinyl as it would have been heard on a decent system of the time is the true reference for most of us who were there or thereabouts (I would have first heard my sister's copy as an eleven year old at the end of 1971). I'm listening on Tidal to this right now, and yes - it sounds bass heavy.

Guest Eggcup The Daft
3 hours ago, Tony ray said:

Wo baby that is a bit pricey. Sir Paul & Ringo must be having a ball these days.

Cheap. Look at the price of the digital super deluxe edition!