Subwoofer better than Submersive

Hiya guys, 

I am currently looking out for 2 or more subs for a large room in a new home. I currently own the Seaton Submersive F2+ and need to look at other alternatives.

Reason being Seaton finds it hard to reply or send Submersive overseas anymore.

So getting rid of my Submersive at some stage and looking to get something equally awesome into my new home.

Looking for all your suggestions.

Cheers!

AJ

11 minutes ago, thamps said:

Thanks @Quark.  Yes I was actually looking at the PSA. which model would you suggest to even out a whole room?

What's your room size and is it sealed or open?

Do you have anything to equalise the in-room response?

Budget?

Room size around 6m x 4.5m. dedicated home theater room. Controlled open areas.

Nothing in place yet to equalize room response, probably some insulation and sound absorbers will be installed.

Budget probably equal or around my current Seaton Submersive. Can go with good ones.

5 hours ago, thamps said:

Reason being Seaton finds it hard to reply or send Submersive overseas anymore.

I don't want to derail the thread, but just curious as to the situation here.  Is the issue you perceive to be the waiting time, or he's just not interested?

1 hour ago, thamps said:

Room size around 6m x 4.5m. dedicated home theater room. Controlled open areas.

Nothing in place yet to equalize room response, probably some insulation and sound absorbers will be installed.

Budget probably equal or around my current Seaton Submersive. Can go with good ones.

The submersive punches above its driver size in part by going with a larger enclosure than some. I'm also a fan of sealed subs as port noise can be an issue with ported enclosures. So if you're looking for something that has a similar output I'd suggest the PSA S3600i.

To integrate with the submersive you'll probably need an AVR or processor with good room correction that can treat each sub individually.

Probably not done with the questions yet  - looking at the options. 

Would you think its better to get 2 x S3611 OR 4 x s1811 ?

If 2 - then i intend to keep both in front next to the fronts.

if 4 - then i intend to keep 2 in front and 2 behind the couch's

which would most probably serve better frequency response and air moving bass?

34 minutes ago, thamps said:

Hmm - we don't get the T-18s in Australia?

We do get the Triax T18s - definitely on the DeepHz site.

25 minutes ago, thamps said:

Probably not done with the questions yet  - looking at the options. 

Would you think its better to get 2 x S3611 OR 4 x s1811 ?

If 2 - then i intend to keep both in front next to the fronts.

if 4 - then i intend to keep 2 in front and 2 behind the couch's

which would most probably serve better frequency response and air moving bass?

If properly setup there's potential for a smoother response across various listening positions with 4 subs, but not guaranteed. Setup, including positioning, room treatment (if needed) and room correction is important.

14 hours ago, thamps said:

which would most probably serve better frequency response

In general more source locations are better .... but it depends on the room, often 2 could be enough.    It may also be affected by whether you plan to EQ each subwoofer separately, or whether you will apply a single set of global EQ to all subwoofers.

14 hours ago, thamps said:

and air moving bass?

This will depend on the driver size and linear excursion capability.   If you can post those specs for each, we can calculate.

• Like 1

The room is going to be a 6m (length) x 4.5m (width) x 2.7m(height) rectangular. It's going to be all closed with just few openings for windows and double entry door. Will be in a 7.2.4 ATMOS setup and carpeted.

The S1811 specs:

Single 18" Drivers

960W RMS

The S3600/3611 specs:

Dual 18"

1920W RMS

Hmm where can i get linear excursion where do i get? let me look around.

I picked up a pair of Krix Cyclonix lately to try something replacing my four Velodyne Digital Drive and I'm quite impressed.
Their cabinet size is massive, and due to their design being for cinema the drivers are highly sensitive at 100dB 1W and run an easy 8ohm load.
1 unit will get to 127dB in room response, add 6dB gain by having a second unit...

Very efficient

On 17/11/2018 at 3:05 PM, davewantsmoore said:

What is your peak SPL?

How low a frequency do you calibrate down to?

?

You're asking do you need 2 subwoofers of one size... or 4 of another.... etc.....  but we need to know what your requirements are before sensible recommendations can be made?

How low will the be played?  How loud will they be played?

• Like 1

An option could be The DSS Mariana 18S https://www.deepseasound.com/products/mariana-18s-18-subwoofer

Theres also the subs from Rythmik.

They have probably the lowest distortion of all the comparable subs.

Ported theres FV18 and FV25HP.

If you want sealed, G25HP. (review just came out https://www.avsforum.com/rythmik-g25hp-dual-opposed-15-sealed-subwoofer-review/ )

• Like 1

8 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

?

You're asking do you need 2 subwoofers of one size... or 4 of another.... etc.....  but we need to know what your requirements are before sensible recommendations can be made?

How low will the be played?  How loud will they be played?

Well peak spl would be around 70-90 on normal days. My Submersive f2+ didn't have any low frequency calibration, but I would to go low real low I guess. ?

I usually use the dedicated for both movies and music. I sit around 3m from fronts and where the subs will be placed probably.

The sub would primarily focus on movies and getting the lowest frequency is where I want to feel the rumble and not hear it.

So to my question was, is it better to place 4 single driver subs across the room than 2 dual driver subs in the front or around the room?

It's a 6m x 4.5m room, so I would consider this a small/medium room.