zydeco

Help with getting back into cycling

7 hours ago, blybo said:

Are these shared paths?

As I road rider myself, nothing pisses me off more than having guys on road bikes flying past at 30kph+ when I'm out walking or riding with the kids. Seems to be happening more and more with people relatively new to cycling, or getting back into it after a long lay off. Road bikes, as the name implies, are for the roads. Road bike speeds are not conducive to sharing with all manner of path users.

Perth is good for bike riders. There are bike lanes and shared paths around the river, in kings park, and along the cost, freeways and train lines which any type of bike can use - even ebikes! These paths easily accomadate 30+kph (not that you have to ride that fast on a road bike of course). Sensible riders will slow down for walkers and when passing slower riders. I'll assume the OP is sensible. Commuting hours can be hectic and fast and some group rides have a reputation for being carelessly fast. And there's the occasional idiot. But the majority of riders that use these paths are sensible, at least this is my experience. 

14 hours ago, Juicester said:

i'd take the "less likely for fatalities" option thanks.  Did you see that video of the idiot on Inkerman street? Drivers are mental these days. To think only $1k fine for assault with a deadly weapon.....

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/video/2018/oct/31/melbourne-driver-handed-1000-fine-for-deliberately-hitting-cyclist-video

Sigh... if you live your life fearing incredibly rare events you’d never leave your bedroom. You probably do 10 different things every day that are more dangerous than riding on the road.

Its funny that cycling advocacy groups highlight these road rage events to have drivers dealt with more so it’s safer to ride, but inadvertently they have the opposite effect as they put more fear into cyclists. If cycling numbers drop, statistically it becomes more dangerous for those that continue cycling on the road

Edited by blybo

21 hours ago, greigw said:

Keep the mtb for offroad rides and riding with the kids and get a road bike for faster rides around the river and kings park loops. Join Bicycle Market on Facebook for secondhand options. Go 700c not 650b.

Yes, the plan is to keep going on the MTB for now and when I've built a bit of fitness / continued enthusiasm revisit the idea of bike better suited to faster rides

15 hours ago, blybo said:

... another reason to stay off the paths at road bike speeds ...

On that basis I'm not a threat at present! 😀

1 hour ago, blybo said:

Sigh... if you live your life fearing incredibly rare events you’d never leave your bedroom. You probably do 10 different things every day that are more dangerous than riding on the road.

Its funny that cycling advocacy groups highlight these road rage events to have drivers dealt with more so it’s safer to ride, but inadvertently they have the opposite effect as they put more fear into cyclists. If cycling numbers drop, statistically it becomes more dangerous for those that continue cycling on the road

I'm probably the most rational person going around. The reality is, an idiot cyclist will not likely kill a pedestrian. An idiot driver will likely kill a cyclist. I've had too many near misses to not understand the danger. It's just sad that we live in a country were bike deaths are going up, as opposed to most countries where they are falling.

I know it's a matter of time before I am seriously injured; but I don't let fear stop me. Incidents like the Inkerman street attack don't put me off; they just highlight the absolute contempt some drivers have, without any thought for consequence.

3 hours ago, Juicester said:

I'm probably the most rational person going around. The reality is, an idiot cyclist will not likely kill a pedestrian. An idiot driver will likely kill a cyclist. I've had too many near misses to not understand the danger. It's just sad that we live in a country were bike deaths are going up, as opposed to most countries where they are falling.

I know it's a matter of time before I am seriously injured; but I don't let fear stop me. Incidents like the Inkerman street attack don't put me off; they just highlight the absolute contempt some drivers have, without any thought for consequence.

BTW, the "you" I used in my previous post was a general population one, not directed at @Juicester

Yes people do have accidents but of my friends (and I'm talking probably 100+ cycling buddies that race or do high km's per year on road) that have been seriously injured, a car was never part of the accident. 1 had his front wheel collapse at high speed and could have died at the scene from punctured lungs, but luckily a vet (my wife) and a nurse were riding 50m behind him. He still rides very kms today. The other was knocked off his bike by a pedestrian at low speed and just fell badly on his head. Sadly he will never ride or work again and lost 20 years of his memory, did not remember his teenage kids, marrying his wife or ever having been a cyclist.

So yeah there are risks, but not as heavily skewed towards cars as some may think. The only 1 I know directly was a close friend who was hit by a drunk driver and broke his collar bone, but although serious for him at the time, and has knocked his confidence substantially, medically speaking, that is not a serious injury. I've been hit by a car but only received minor bruising and grazes. We are usually going in the same direction as the car, and it's usually a glancing blow and we bounce onto the nature-strip, roadside ditch or footpath.

A riding partner of the bloke who had the front puncture was killed by a car at the roundabout about 3 years ago, 1 km from the bottom of the 1/20. He and my buddy had already parted ways to ride back home separately. We think the cyclist couldn't stop as you can easily hit that roundabout at 60kph, and was t-boned by the car who was also probably travelling too fast. If you are familiar with the area, a tall hedge that effected sight lines has since been cut right down.

And there are cyclists like me who misjudge the traffic (there's a bit more to it) and rode into the rear of a car - definitely not the car drivers fault. Luckily only a broken arm and major embarrassment 😊

12 hours ago, Whites said:

And there are cyclists like me who misjudge the traffic (there's a bit more to it) and rode into the rear of a car - definitely not the car drivers fault. Luckily only a broken arm and major embarrassment 😊

I can’t imagine doing that! Guess it’s theoretically possible. 

@Juicester It was pretty easy, car parked in the bike lane (legally), I moved into the traffic, steep downhill and cars were slowing, then they suddenly stopped and I hit the brakes - I was too close, bumped the guys car in front and flew over the handle bars. Luckily landed on the road and not an edge of his car.

I built a CF Shimano Integra Di2 Hydraulic disc brake based road bike almost two years ago, works fine, but not ideal for 'Just jump on to go to beach' machine in all honesty.

The bike it was sort of replacing was a 2002 Specialized Flatbar, triple chain ring, hybrid, that due to a broken pull lever brake bushing, that wasn't a screw in replaceable type, meant I had to replace the front fork.....which I did, but with a suspension type fork.....that unfortunately [and not unexpectedly ] changed the whole ride situation......a LOT heavier at the front, and now it felt it was one rails, although comfort wise it is like a Bentley.

Anyway, I decided to rebuild this bike again over this Xmas, the only thing still original is the frame, stem, handlebars and bell.

I don't know about you, but I like to keep things with as less confusion as possible.

So that lead me to the Shimano drive drain compatibility chart.

Basically what I've done is bought a new CF fork that has pull lever brake bosses, got a set of Shimano SL-RS700 flatbar shift levers that are road bike compatible [Try finding these in AUS], the new Shimano Ultegra 7000 drive chain BB, FD,RD,CR [32-50] and put a 'I know it's Granny Gears' but one of the new 11-34 Shimano cassettes....dodgy knees and lot of hills and hitting 60 are the reason.

New MAVIC Ksyrium wheels and tyres to boot

I'm pretty sure the old Specialized would have dropped around 3kg from it current weight once these parts are fitted.

I'll see how it goes, hopefully I won't need the 'Extreme' 11-34 and can just replace it, but it was a impulse purchase within options when buying online.....if you don't try you'll never know