Sign in to follow this  
ClassicalGuy

Getting Qobuz... to stream 24/192 FLAC

Hi all,

I’ve noticed that Qobuz is now streaming hi-res (up to 24/192) in FLAC and this seems much more interesting to me than MQA. For the record, I like MQA, but 24/192 FLAC is more appealing (especially as I don't have an MQA DAC).

I know people have touched on this in years gone by, but has anyone had any luck subscribing to Qobuz recently? I used a VPN to make the account no trouble, but paying seems more difficult as Qobuz knows my VISA is based in Australia and PayPal seems to do something similar.

Any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers

--- UPDATE ---

So the answer to this is probably obvious to some, but it wasn't to me, but I did get it working.

Step 1 - Use a proper VPN, not a web-based one. I used the free Tunnel Bear 500mb account.

Step 2 - Set VPN to England.

Step 3 - Make a new account (if you've tried and failed, you need to make a new account because Qobuz tracks where you initially make the account).

Step 4 - Set up the trial or just subscribe, I used PayPal which had caused a geoblock issue before but not using this method as it turns out.

Step 5 - That's it. 

Once it was set up, I turned the VPN off, and the account works perfeclty on other computers, ipad, iphone etc. Streaming 24/192 no trouble at all, even without NBN. There's not a whole lot of 24/192 to be honest, but there is a huge 24/96 catalogue covering every genre.

Having done a lot of A/B testing from Tidal to Qobuz, to my ears and in my system, the 24/96 sounds wider and deeper than 24/96 MQA unfolded by Roon. Even without directly A/Bing, playing tracks I know well sound noticeably better through Qobuz. I'll give it a month or so to really be sure, but at this point I'll be saying goodbye to Tidal and won't resubscribe to Roon unless they have introduced Qobuz integration.

Thanks for sharing and your effort to put up the instruction on how to use Qobuz here in Australia. I have just followed your route and done it smoothly. Can't wait to try it out tonight on my system. 

Great work mate~!

I hope it's going well! Please make any additions if you think you can explain anything better than me, I just wanted people to know it's possible because it's pretty cool getting this music at high resolutions (currently listening to The Traveling Wilburys in 24/192). 

A few weeks in and everything is still working for me. I haven't had an issue via computer, iPad, or iPhone. I've also logged in through Audirvana and no problems there either. 

Edited by ClassicalGuy

Roon got Qobuz support today. I am going to try it.

Did you manage to get the app for iphone or is it geoblocked too?

Update: Doing Qobuz trial, working fine on Phone, Computer. Much cleaner and nicer than Tidal so far. Too much Kanye pushing his agenda.

Yeah, it works on everything, all you need is to get the account made. After that, as many computers, phones, devices as you like (from my experience). 

Seems good so far, but waiting for Roon to reactivate my trial to try again. Cancelled last time as tidal integration was rubbish to me.

Guest sluttyindian

Thanks for this thread! Gave it a go and worked like a charm... their flac quality sounds good and prefer it to Tidals BS MQA. Too bad it doesn't have the library that Spotify has though. Interface is definitely better than Tidal as well. Wasn't able to download the Android app, perhaps its region locked. I would like to have Qobuz as the one streaming service to rule them all but it seems like ill have to still keep spotify around.

Posted (edited)

When I go to QoBuz site monthly subscription seems to be the equivalent of AUD40.  Is that right or am I doing something wrong?

Edited by blairy

I have a Tidal subscription which is disappointingly useless for classical. It is quite good for jazz.

Is qobuz any good for jazz and other genres or is it primarily classical? 

what’s  the selection like?

On 27/08/2019 at 5:18 AM, blairy said:

When I go to QoBuz site monthly subscription seems to be the equivalent of AUD40.  Is that right or am I doing something wrong?

Depending which plan, yes its expensive in comparison to other sites.  That amount sounds about right

On 27/08/2019 at 7:03 AM, buddyev said:

I have a Tidal subscription which is disappointingly useless for classical. It is quite good for jazz.

Is qobuz any good for jazz and other genres or is it primarily classical? 

what’s  the selection like?

I find it great for Jazz, Rock and also Classical.  Not so great for things such reggae etc, you could drive a bus through the holes in that genre

For rock the latest releases and the classic rock are mostly there.  

For example new -  Tool's new Album and Lana Del ray

depth of classic rock - The Rolling Stones 215 - with multiple versions of the great albums listed

There are a few disappointing holes in catalogues for some artists though.  

Here is a quick sample of the depth for Jazz

Don Cherry 41 albums

Herbie Hancock 306 albums (all though you will find duplicate aka different versions of the same album)

Miles Davis 1649 albums

John Coltrane 981 albums

Lots of ECM albums

Something more obscure in Jazz, try some TBM Japanese artists

Isao Suzuki 0

Tsuyoshi Yamamoto  says 4 but only 1 displayed

Masabumi Kikuchi 2 - 2 versions of same album

Thanks for that, Des. It’s probably worth a trial. I assumed that it was primarily classical.

Edited by buddyev

I have just started the Qobuz Studio free 1 month trial. Took 5 minutes using Paypal via a web based VPN called Hoxx. It's an add on for Chrome or Firefox that is free and works really well. There is also an anti-leak function in case the host site sniffs a whiff of your non-compliant ISP ;) Chose a French server.

Downloaded the PC desktop player app and I quite like the interface so far. Took a few goes to set the correct output so my DAC would get the full 24/96 or 192 (Wasapi in this instance as on other output settings it defaulted to 44.1).

Listening to Mozart's Magic Flute in 24/96 and the sound is very very good so far. 

Settling in for a nice evening of Scotch and the new toy B)

Edited by lemarquis

Pretty keen to give this a try also.  Have no experience with VPN stuff but seems pretty straight forward so will give it a go.  Have heard good things about Qoboz.  How's it look for Metal and Blues etc. Jazz seems extremely well covered.

I'm confident it caters to the newer stuff too (for the rest of the family)

I have just signed up for Deezer premium free trial, more to see how it all works and feels etc, its been two days and its pretty good, the suggestions and stuff are definitely more on point than Tidal which I currently have a family HiFi tier subscription -  but cannot stand the menu system and their suggestions are so far removed from my listening habits its a joke.

Unfortunately Deezer does not have a family HiFi option but maybe Qoboz does?