Screen size advice

Hi,

I’d like some advice on which screen size is best based on a specific room.

Ideally the bigger screen is better but I just want to make sure the image will be bright enough and also that there’s enough space for the L & R speakers. Is 55cm from wall the screen frame sufficient?

Is it possible to work out the projector light levels? I tried this using the projector central website and then the projector pro app and got vastly different results. 

Details:

Projector - x7900

Room - 6m x 4.3m

2.7m ceiling with 25cm bulkhead 

Projector distance to screen - 5.4m

Floor standing front speakers

Low light

Dark grey walls and bulkhead, white roof

Option 1

120” CinemaScope 

Total width (incl frame) 2966mm

Distance between wall and screen frame - 66cm

Option 2

130” CinemaScope 

Total width (incl frame) 3201mm

Distance between wall and screen frame - 55cm

Opinions?

Edited by Scotttj
text size

You may want to sit a bit closer once you get used to the screen size.

120" gives ~ 35fL on the Projector Central calculator. 130" gives ~31fL.

Any particular reason for not wanting to go with a 16:9 screen?

Just now, Quark said:

FYI I'm sitting ~3.5m from a 130" scope screen.

21 minutes ago, Quark said:

Thanks, I got the same numbers with the projector Central calculator but see the attached screenshot from the app ??

How does 31fL & 35fL rate? 

With the bulkhead, cabinet and centre speaker the largest 16:9 screen I could go with is 110".

130" Cinemascope is close in height to 110" 16:9 so it seemed to make sense to gain the extra width. 

IMG_1EFDC3F3B422-1.jpeg

Edited by Scotttj
edit -sorry for the huge pic

Seems like the app has a fault - no way you would be down at 17fL. 

You'll get a good SDR image with 14fL. Typically you want 30+fL for HDR - it would be worth going to a higher gain screen for HDR as your lamp will drop lumens as it ages (albeit recent JVC models have had much less drop off in performance than in the past). Oz Theatre Screens have standard 1.26 gain screens.

Similar to @Quark I run a 130" screen ( scope). Front edge of PJ lens is at 3.95m from screen, and my eyes are at ~ 3.5m. I've gradually moved the seating position forward by about 30cm over the past 2 years.

Can't see myself being "allowed" to pull it much closer.

My room is 6050mm x 4300mm.

Something else to consider ,if you are planning on creating an Atmos experience, is the need to allow space BEHIND the seating position for rear height speakers. 

Sitting 1.5m in front of the back wall will not work IMHO

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, IMDave said:

if you are planning on creating an Atmos experience, is the need to allow space BEHIND the seating position for rear height speakers. 

Yes, going with a 5.2.4 setup

If the rear atmos speakers are on the bulkhead then the seating position only has to be 1m from the back of the room to meet the Dolby guidelines. (35 degrees)

Intention is to have the front atmos speakers 2.5m from the rear wall. 

Happy to receive feedback

if its a 6m depth room, it doesnt make a lot of sense to me to sit at 5m ... all will do is require you to have a much larger screen for same immersion. with a given size screen further back you sit the smaller it looks :)  this will just be further demanding of the projector to fill the screen with adequate output. will need 12-16FL for blu-ray but need 30FL 100nits minimum for HDR. the thing though it to have enough up sleeve to allow for lamp ageing. dont really want to be running high lamp and wide open to achieve things.

I read recently some conflicting stuff re the projector central online calculator, not sure about the app. but I am sure I read it was setup for high lamp and wide open iris. with my x7000 I havent checked the calculator to relate to what I am getting in reality, 

audio wise ideally want to sit about 2/3rd room depth(not too close to back wall) and it will let you easily do a 7.1 setup in a room that size. plus also easily augment to a full 7.1.4 setup. and why not ? unless there is specifically some reasons preventing. 

• Like 3

Crude drawing from installation company attached...

The room hadn’t been built so it’s still flexible. Sitting @ 4m will be fine, I’m not too stressed on this detail at this stage and haven’t put much thought into this yet. I guess that would mean both sets of atmos speakers should be brought forward about 50cm. 

16 minutes ago, :) al said:

audio wise ideally want to sit about 2/3rd room depth(not too close to back wall) and it will let you easily do a 7.1 setup in a room that size. plus also easily augment to a full 7.1.4 setup. and why not ? unless there is specifically some reasons preventing. 

I already have the speakers for a 5.2 setup and an 9.2 channel amp, so I’m starting with 5.2.4 with the potential upgrade to 7.2.4 down the track. 

AA569E18-E9CA-4D88-868F-86BC2BCAB2AB.jpeg

• Like 1

take it from me it will be a lot easier to do it now rather than doing 8/10s of it now and then coming back to it paying to get it done down the track. a good chance will never happen. put off if you like till can do the lot...will actually cost less in the long run :)

move ALL of it forward. if you can. with couch at 4m I cant see any reason cant have side speakers just back from the window either side of couch. rears where should be and then the over head front and rear heights straddling the couch. 

where have the side/rears at present doesnt look right in any case :)

Looks like you might need to move those double hinged doors closer to the screen if you move your seating forward (which I'd recommend).

Agree move the rear Atmos speakers forward off the bulkhead. Consider moving the front Atmos more than 50cm forward to give you more flexibility on seating position.

Your surround speakers are too far back for 5.2.4 and not ideally placed as the rear surrounds in a 7.2.4 (probably better on back wall). Edit, see Al has mentioned this too.

Thanks for the advice 

The rear surrounds are actually bookshelf speakers on stands so the position on the drawing isn’t where they are going to end up. (I should have mentioned this earlier)

This is another reason why I’m happy to use my current speakers in a 5.x.x setup and then if I went to 7.x.x setup it would be a fresh install of 4 speakers. It’s single storey so it’s not a huge job. 

The doors cant move but that’s fine. 

• Like 1

How were you planning on mounting the projector? Does it really need to be on the back wall? The closer you can get it to the screen ( within reason) the better.

For example, you could get it to just behind the couch ( still slightly in -front of your redesigned rear atmos speaker position). That way you would probably still be able to run in low lamp for BR and 4k, and in that mode it is pretty well silent. I use a design exactly the same as this, but as my room isn't painted black, I have made the box and painted it the same colour as the dark brown ceiling ( WAF currently won't allow a completely velvet lined room........but I'm working on it). The PJ is essentially invisible in the room,with great ventilation, and at the closest allowable limit of throw for max brightness.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2468980

Edited by IMDave
  • Like 2

Whilst having a lot of visual appeal, I'd be very concerned about overheating in that situation.

From memory, air is drawn in from the BACK of the PJ and fan forced out the FRONT vents.

Being totally enclosed is far from ideal. Especially as being set that far from the screen you will most likely end up needing to use High lamp for HDR which generates more heat.

Again, the "box" design I've shown provides maximum air flow. There also needs to be about 10cm clearance from the top of the PJ to the ceiling.

• Like 1

My room is 6x4m with a 130" scope screen. I sit around 3.5-3.8 (upright/reclined) from the screen and have JVC X7000 projector mounted at approx 4.5m from screen on a pearless mount.

Here is a shot with light flooding in to give you an idea

3651f47b3e26659d2346e1830359b2e0.jpg&key

We positioned speakers as far out into the room as our side cabinets would allow and as far from side walls that they don't encroach into screen real-estate.

Sitting at 3.5m gives room for a second row of seats (just) and puts us almost 2/3'rds of room length from the screen which tends to be a good position for room acoustics

IMG_3754.JPG

Edited by blybo
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Scotttj said:

Back to the original questions, it looks like the consensus is:

130” is the way to go

Brightness level is OK 

By bringing the projector further forward, you will also be able to get 4k HDR image using the low lamp setting, you may not further back and the fan runs quite loudly on high lamp mode.

6 minutes ago, IMDave said:

Whilst having a lot of visual appeal, I'd be very concerned about overheating in that situation.

I'd agree. Better preserve your valuable equipment by letting it breathe. It will be so dark in there no one will notice the projector and how it's mounted.

• Like 1

I think this is a great thread , with some well informed contributions.

Hopefully the OP won't mind if I could request the Mods ( @:) al et al )move it to the more appropriate "Projector & Screen" sub-forum. 

I think it will get more specific attention there.

• Like 1

Point taken with mounting in the bulkhead. JVC recommend 35 degree max temp which will be hard to achieve in a confined roof space. I originally had a Sony projector in mind which had a front intake & exhaust so it wouldn't have been such a big deal. 

The roof is going to be white so I guess a white projector would be better than black. 

It's not going to look anywhere near as good on a mount but it's a better outcome than a broken projector haha... or not being able to turn it on during summer. 

I've been playing with the Projector Central Calculator and to achieve a 130" CinemaScope screen, i need the projector to be at least 4.26m from the screen. At this distance the image brightness will be 34fL so it's not a whole lot difference to the 31fL level when mounted 5.4m back. 

Will this brightness level be enough for 4k hdr?

33 minutes ago, IMDave said:

re appropriate "Projector & Screen" sub-forum

Sure, I don't mind. 

And thanks again for all the contributions. 

• Like 1

If the ceiling is going to be white, I would still build an opened ended "box" and paint it white. With a white PJ, again, you won't even know it's there.

I'll try and take a good photo of my set up later on to give you an idea.

I know WAF is important in these issues, and mine was dubious to say the least, but it looks a lot better than it sounds.

Power point in the ceiling.

Reinforced bracing between the ceiling beams so you can screw the box in with giant coach screws.

I can hang from the ceiling from that box and it's never going to fall down.

As long as you make it big enough for future upgrades ( :lol: ) you can put a Z1 up there.( They are huge )

Be very careful with the Projector Central calculator results, it uses manufactures quoted maximum lumens to make its calculations and we all know, or should, that projectors actually deliver quite a bit less than their rated output when calibrated for accurate colour.

If you want to engage wide gamut mode light output drops even more, use low lamp and it drops a lot more again.

Projectors can't do HDR, they remap it to SDR for display which works fine if done well.  30fl or 100 nits is Standard Dynamic Range by the book, HDR is 10 times higher or more.

You can re map the gamma of SDR content to look the same as HDR content remapped to the same peak white level.