The greatest war movies ever made ??

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Guns of Navarone Cockleshell Heroes

Dambusters! How can you beat a bouncing bomb......? 

tora tora tora

• 2 weeks later...

Another movie. I really like although a b grade is Seal Team Six, the Raid on Osama Bin Landen, the John Stockwell movie. I noticed the Aussie Blu Ray had the other cut, the Code Name Geronimo cut, the movie cut that only got a release here. And it is way way better, just a straight movie. No interview cuts. And longer. Also explains properly the tension between Anson Mount and Cam Gigandet's characters...

Finally got to experience this Chinese movie recounting the Japanese invasion and destruction of Nanking and the subsequent rape and murder of thousands of women and girls and the slaughter of an estimated 300,000 military and civilians.

In purely technical terms this is masterpiece. The b/w cinematography is pristine and often, despite context, hauntingly beautiful. The conflict scenes are kinetic wth a soundtrack that will have you ducking you head.

The victory dance/ march at the 2 hour mark is quite an awesome sight, set as it is to pounding Koto drums.

I usually avoid so called extras- I don’t want to dilute the mystery, but in this case I was aware that the making of doco was the equal to Eleanor Coppolas’ account of APOCALYPSE NOW - Heart of Darkness. Indeed it is.

i stand this film next to COME AND SEE as the quintessential non- Hollywood war film.

Billy

604391B8-DA4E-4252-95E4-9220768D9878.jpeg

D27C29FB-99C3-4B09-B4C6-5B0A239A14D4.jpeg

BEE37C0F-58C0-40E5-8825-C5765F51BCAC.jpeg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Anatoly Beaver-Hausen said:

Finally got to experience this Chinese movie recounting the Japanese invasion and destruction of Nanking and the subsequent rape and murder of thousands of women and girls and the slaughter of an estimated 300,000 military and civilians.

In purely technical terms this is masterpiece. The b/w cinematography is pristine and often, despite context, hauntingly beautiful. The conflict scenes are kinetic wth a soundtrack that will have you ducking you head.

The victory dance/ march at the 2 hour mark is quite an awesome sight, set as it is to pounding Koto drums.

I usually avoid so called extras- I don’t want to dilute the mystery, but in this case I was aware that the making of doco was the equal to Eleanor Coppolas’ account of APOCALYPSE NOW - Heart of Darkness. Indeed it is.

i stand this film next to COME AND SEE as the quintessential non- Hollywood war film.

Billy

604391B8-DA4E-4252-95E4-9220768D9878.jpeg

D27C29FB-99C3-4B09-B4C6-5B0A239A14D4.jpeg

BEE37C0F-58C0-40E5-8825-C5765F51BCAC.jpeg

Bluray?

Link please to purchase?

also must add The Blue Max is a great movie that was earlier recommended and I tracked down on Bluray fantastic transfer and restoration 

cheers Muri

I have been unable to find on the Jb website ?

i did find only on amazon but specs say only Dolby digital soundtracks?

any  help appreciated

cheers Muri

Guys, slightly off topic but I purchased Jarhead on bluray and it goes through normal stuff, select language etc, but gets stuck at the menu loop, i.e the visual is there but the actual menu never appears so can't play movie.

Took it back to JB, they gave me another one and the same. I have a Panasonic UB9000 player.

Any thoughts ?

2 hours ago, Jhsg said:

this is a really great tribute to American war films.  

Is it a parody?

I should add to that

If it’s not a parody it should be😀

Edited by keyse1

I enjoyed Pork Chop Hill. It was straight out of left field, B&W, Korean War, and also had George Peppard.

I was amazed.

Also, Dr Strangelove. The battle scenes in that film were indistinguishable from the real thing. (Probably less than 2 minutes worth) perfect.

Edited by Edward Hewer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

War movies aren't my thing, but ...

One thing I've never heard/seen in one is when a bullet rips by your head you can actually hear it tearing the air—and that has quite an impact on your state of mind, at least it did on mine.

• 1 month later...
On 16/09/2020 at 8:25 PM, muriwai said:

I have been unable to source White Tiger,on Bluray according to Bluray.com it was released in Australia,can’t find anywhere though

only available from other countries with no English subtitles!

Anyone have for trade/Sale?

cheers Muriwai 

Well, I finally snagged a copy. It does exist. DTS-HD MA 5.1. Got it for $5 at CEX shipped. UPC is 9338176011584 - I set up an alert, and blow me down it finally popped up/.

IMG_20210108_160948_1.jpg

Hi Mobe,so it has English subtitles?

can you please post an actual link?To purchase please?

my last 2 purchases have both gone missing in the post 😢

many thanks 

Muri

1 hour ago, muriwai said:

Hi Mobe,so it has English subtitles?

can you please post an actual link?To purchase please?

my last 2 purchases have both gone missing in the post 😢

many thanks 

Muri

I posted the UPC and the online store name. Should be able to find given that with google. I'm just not sure if I'm allowed to post detailed links.

No idea,on subtitles. I haven't watched it. There is no set stream. But it is an Australian disc so I guess burnt in subs. Or ugh a dub. I'll check in the morning when I'm in the HT

Easy enough to find the entry on their website, only took me a few seconds. Out of stock though.

I presume these are 2nd hand items, judging by the prices.

5 hours ago, emesbee said:

Easy enough to find the entry on their website, only took me a few seconds. Out of stock though.

I presume these are 2nd hand items, judging by the prices.

Yeah second hand.

I get a lot there.