Sign in to follow this  
cafe67

The greatest war movies ever made ??

On 22 November 2018 at 5:20 AM, Slave2TheRhythm said:

I think you might have completely missed the point of what the series is about. If you are looking for actions and bloodbaths then you will be completely disappointed. Quote: “The seven-part miniseries looks closely at the moral ambiguity of war, and how ego, shifting mission parameters, and poor leadership can erode trust when and where it’s needed most. The show is based on the 2004 non-fiction book by Evan Wright with the same name, who embedded with 1st Recon in 2003 for two months while working as a reporter for Rolling Stone.”  “It presented the Marines of 1st Recon as the complex individuals they were in real life and not as caricatures.” “Generation Kill” featured some of the actual Marines from 1st Recon. What really moved me was how realistic the show was and marines so honestly represented here. I especially like the dialogues and humour in this show.

I did enjoy Band of Brothers and The Pacific but they were much more sensationalised and quite different shows. I enjoyed Generation Kill a lot more than these two. GK is more like a documentary and supposedly a more realistic portrayal of what happened to the 1st Recon in Iraq war. To me The Pacific is the weakest of the three but each to their own.default_smile.png

Have you seen Restrepo ? 

Started watching The Pacific after seeing it mentioned a few times, but watching via dailymotion and EP 3 doesn't play and they seem to be missing some.

Very good though, comes across as the real thing when men are faced with combat.

Guest Y B
Have you seen Restrepo ? 

No I haven’t. Will seek it out now, thanks for the recommendation.

The epic Russian movie " Come and see " without doubt is the most horrifying, visceral ( and probably the best ) war movie ever made.

On 21/11/2018 at 7:17 AM, TerryO said:

Most of the Great War movies have already been mentioned including some of my favourites, Patton, Saving Private Ryan and Lawrence of Arabia but one of my all time favourites that didn't get a mention is this movie which portrays the battle at Rorkes's Drift which in real life saw the most Victoria Crosses ever awarded to one regiment (11) in one battle. 

image.jpeg

I actually think that Zulu Dawn (historically the prequel) was the better movie. The arrogance of British colonialism and upper class politics, as well as some of the most stupid military tactics of all time are well represented. Good performances by Burt Lancaster, Peter O'Toole, Denholm Elliot and others.