cafe67

The greatest war movies ever made ??

On 17/11/2018 at 9:34 PM, LHC said:

If Science Fiction is allowed, I would add Ender's Game.

🤮. I thought Enders Game was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I hate that over stylised soap opera effect to video.

Caveat, I was on a long haul flight, maybe I should give it a 2nd go.

6 hours ago, Slave2TheRhythm said:

I think you might have completely missed the point of what the series is about. If you are looking for actions and bloodbaths then you will be completely disappointed. Quote: “The seven-part miniseries looks closely at the moral ambiguity of war, and how ego, shifting mission parameters, and poor leadership can erode trust when and where it’s needed most. The show is based on the 2004 non-fiction book by Evan Wright with the same name, who embedded with 1st Recon in 2003 for two months while working as a reporter for Rolling Stone.”  “It presented the Marines of 1st Recon as the complex individuals they were in real life and not as caricatures.” “Generation Kill” featured some of the actual Marines from 1st Recon. What really moved me was how realistic the show was and marines so honestly represented here. I especially like the dialogues and humour in this show.

I did enjoy Band of Brothers and The Pacific but they were much more sensationalised and quite different shows. I enjoyed Generation Kill a lot more than these two. GK is more like a documentary and supposedly a more realistic portrayal of what happened to the 1st Recon in Iraq war. To me The Pacific is the weakest of the three but each to their own.default_smile.png

No, I didn't missed the point. The point just depressed me on so many levels. What America had devolved to over a short 50 years.

10 hours ago, Slave2TheRhythm said:

I did enjoy Band of Brothers and The Pacific but they were much more sensationalised and quite different shows. I enjoyed Generation Kill a lot more than these two. GK is more like a documentary and supposedly a more realistic portrayal of what happened to the 1st Recon in Iraq war. To me The Pacific is the weakest of the three but each to their own.default_smile.png

Definitely. Band of Brothers I can (and have) watched over and over. Pacific just didn't live up and I think because the characters didn't engage as much as those in BOB. Generation Kill was different altogether.

3 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

No, I didn't missed the point. The point just depressed me on so many levels. What America had devolved to over a short 50 years.

Thats not the fault of the films. Its reality. If it depressed you it should. And the picture it paints of America and how it uses their (and our) military should make us all sick.

13 hours ago, crisis said:

Definitely. Band of Brothers I can (and have) watched over and over. Pacific just didn't live up and I think because the characters didn't engage as much as those in BOB. Generation Kill was different altogether.

Thats not the fault of the films. Its reality. If it depressed you it should. And the picture it paints of America and how it uses their (and our) military should make us all sick.

Yes, I heartily agree. And hence my preference for The Pacific. I don't watch movies or TV shows with the intent of being totally bummed out.

On 22 November 2018 at 5:20 AM, Slave2TheRhythm said:

I think you might have completely missed the point of what the series is about. If you are looking for actions and bloodbaths then you will be completely disappointed. Quote: “The seven-part miniseries looks closely at the moral ambiguity of war, and how ego, shifting mission parameters, and poor leadership can erode trust when and where it’s needed most. The show is based on the 2004 non-fiction book by Evan Wright with the same name, who embedded with 1st Recon in 2003 for two months while working as a reporter for Rolling Stone.”  “It presented the Marines of 1st Recon as the complex individuals they were in real life and not as caricatures.” “Generation Kill” featured some of the actual Marines from 1st Recon. What really moved me was how realistic the show was and marines so honestly represented here. I especially like the dialogues and humour in this show.

Have you seen Restrepo ? 

Guest Muon N'

Started watching The Pacific after seeing it mentioned a few times, but watching via dailymotion and EP 3 doesn't play and they seem to be missing some.

Very good though, comes across as the real thing when men are faced with combat.

Guest Y B
Have you seen Restrepo ? 

No I haven’t. Will seek it out now, thanks for the recommendation.

The best ever.

The Cruel Sea and Zulu

regards Bruce

The epic Russian movie " Come and see " without doubt is the most horrifying, visceral ( and probably the best ) war movie ever made.

On 21/11/2018 at 7:17 AM, TerryO said:

Most of the Great War movies have already been mentioned including some of my favourites, Patton, Saving Private Ryan and Lawrence of Arabia but one of my all time favourites that didn't get a mention is this movie which portrays the battle at Rorkes's Drift which in real life saw the most Victoria Crosses ever awarded to one regiment (11) in one battle. 

image.jpeg

I actually think that Zulu Dawn (historically the prequel) was the better movie. The arrogance of British colonialism and upper class politics, as well as some of the most stupid military tactics of all time are well represented. Good performances by Burt Lancaster, Peter O'Toole, Denholm Elliot and others.

have picked up a couple that I think need inclusion here

Danger close - the battle for long tan and available on blu-ray

and also Battle for Sevatopol - story of the Russian Red army sniper Lyudmila Pavlichenko - this is currently on amazon prime to stream and takes some searching to find on blu-ray if need english subtitles.

Catch 22. Really a black comedy set in WWII, but raises some valid questions about the motives behind decisions made in wartime.

Guest Muon N'
2 hours ago, betty boop said:

have picked up a couple that I think need inclusion here

Danger close - the battle for long tan and available on blu-ray

and also Battle for Sevatopol - story of the Russian Red army sniper Lyudmila Pavlichenko - this is currently on amazon prime to stream and takes some searching to find on blu-ray if need english subtitles.

Ooo...I need to find a way to watch that Battle for Sevatopol.

Don't have Amazon so need another way, or wait for it to come to SBS or Netflix.

1 minute ago, Muon N' said:

Ooo...I need to find a way to watch that Battle for Sevatopol.

Don't have Amazon so need another way, or wait for it to come to SBS or Netflix.

maybe be a trial on amazon :D 

Guest Muon N'
4 minutes ago, betty boop said:

maybe be a trial on amazon :D 

Do you have to give payment details straight up?

Just now, Muon N' said:

Do you have to give payment details straight up?

well you know as with all these things ... have to sign up with credit card...but as long as cancel within the trial period its all good.

as a heads up there is a ton of war movies on amazon i have discovered the subscription more than pays for itself with savings in shipping(free shipping wiht amazon purchases) 

considering stan for catch22....  :D 

Guest Muon N'

OK, I better pass, after having an ATM take 800 bucks of rent on Wednesday leaving me without that 800 and no transaction in the system what so ever, and that issue still unresolved I'm a bit shy of electronic systems ATM.

Edited by Muon N'

9 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

OK, I better pass, after having an ATM take 800 bucks of rent on Wednesday leaving me without that 800 and no transaction in the system what so ever, and that issue still unresolved I'm a bit shy of electronic systems ATM.

Yikes I had this happen to me, too a lot lesser extent, had to wait for the bank to do a audit on the atm before I was refunded 

Guest Muon N'
4 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

Yikes I had this happen to me, too a lot lesser extent, had to wait for the bank to do a audit on the atm before I was refunded 

Yeah, stupid bank systems that leave you hanging when they are the ones at fault.

Anyway.

I am interested to see the new movie Midway. The rest of the world has seen Midway, except for Australia for reasons only known to the local distributor. I contacted Roadshow and they wouldn’t provide a reason other then to say it would get a theatrical release in Australia on 30 January, three months after release all over the world. The movie was poorly reviewed by critics but sold well in all markets and was number one in US for a period in November.

Well, the Australian Army used to think "Zulu" was tops - we conscripts (8th intake, April 1967) were all marched down to the theatre for a compulsory viewing during our recruit training at Puckapunyal. I think we were supposed to get off on how to use bayonets or something... (I never used one in Vietnam though).

cheers

Mick

3 hours ago, mickj1 said:

Well, the Australian Army used to think "Zulu" was tops - we conscripts (8th intake, April 1967) were all marched down to the theatre for a compulsory viewing during our recruit training at Puckapunyal. I think we were supposed to get off on how to use bayonets or something... (I never used one in Vietnam though).

cheers

Mick

Yes the Army did love that movie because ten years after you're experience they were still showing it to us recruits at Kapooka in 1977. I wouldn't be surprised if it was still compulsory viewing.

11 hours ago, betty boop said:

Reminds me of another great movie with a similar theme Al ; Enemy at the gates ; coincidentally about another Russian sniper [and a German one] only in Stalingrad instead . Good war movies show the human condition up close like these :)