The greatest war movies ever made ??

One of the most underestimated war movies is Above Us the Waves - it is based on a true event - Operation Source, the attack on the Tirpitz by X-Craft (midget submarines).

The X5 was commanded by an Australian with the craft itself informally known as Platypus - it was lost in the fjord and has never been found.

X6 and X7 made the attack and resulted in numerous military awards including 2 Victoria Cross’.

An excellent movie.

E472C695-A3C4-445C-994B-3B5EA02B5E5B.jpeg

On 20/06/2020 at 1:59 PM, Mobe1969 said:

Just another couple I'd recommend. Canadian ones, by the same director, Paul Gross. Hyena Road, and Paschendale.

Just finished watching Hyena Road and oh boy, what a movie. Pretty moving. And I'd say at this stage one of best I've seen for a while.

Oh yeah, only $7 at Amazon. Utter bargain.

Hi mobe,I have ordered Hyena rd ,I was unable to find anything on Paschendale?can you provide a link ?or any more info please?

cheers Muriwai 

On 05/07/2020 at 9:52 AM, muriwai said:

Hi mobe,I have ordered Hyena rd ,I was unable to find anything on Paschendale?can you provide a link ?or any more info please?

cheers Muriwai 

The best one to get is the Canadian edition. A lot of the others have lossy audio. The German editions might be OK.

EAN is 0065935830610

I think I got the spelling wrong though. two s's.  Passchendaele

Some great movies listed in this thread and some I need to check out...

I enjoy this genre, thankfully never had to live through it but have the upmost respect for those that have faught and died.

some of my faves off the top of my head are (no order)

Platoon

Full Metal Jacket

Midway

Saving Private Ryan

Hacksaw Ridge

Schindlers List

Thin Red Line

Dunkirk

12 Strong

Hunter Killer

The Hunt for Red October

Das Boot

• Like 2

Some great choices posted  chaps!--

For 2hrs 20min of WWII with almost 2hours of that being superb battle scenes take a look  at Fortress of War.

Its Russian made great characterisations with some in ya face Action!

--very impressive film making recommended oh yes there is English Subs but you don't need them the 

Pathos is real visual to understand their plight--based on the true assault on Brest by the Germans 1942.

Willco

War2.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Willco said:

Some great choices posted  chaps!--

For 2hrs 20min of WWII with almost 2hours of that being superb battle scenes take a look  at Fortress of War.

Its Russian made great characterisations with some in ya face Action!

--very impressive film making recommended oh yes there is English Subs but you don't need them the 

Pathos is real visual to understand their plight--based on the true assault on Brest by the Germans 1942.

Willco

War2.jpg

The real war was fought in the East...which I call the absolute war...everything else is just skirmishes in comparison.

but Hollywood with the help of some historians always peddle the typical myth....?

1 hour ago, Ian McP said:

Seen the ads on this one, looks good.

Apparantly it was meant for cinema but due to circumstances went straight to apple TV.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 08Boss302 said:

Seen the ads on this one, looks good.

Apparantly it was meant for cinema but due to circumstances went straight to apple TV.

Just watched it, a pretty good movie where 99% of the film is from the perspective of being onboard the ship GREYHOUND.

A bit of effort put into the teamwork aspect of command.

No Das Boot but thoroughly enjoyable - worth a second and third viewing at least.

hmm lets see if greyhound is up on apple TV+ could be a good watch....

ps i watched hyena road....my god it packs a punch ! great 1st person style... good raw action with a bit of romance side story.... ok acting.... 

reminds me of a couple of other afghan seating movies have watched in recent years... can't remember the names must be early onset of oldtimers.... :D 

• Like 1

On 10/07/2020 at 5:15 PM, Pigpen said:

Just watched it, a pretty good movie where 99% of the film is from the perspective of being onboard the ship GREYHOUND.

A bit of effort put into the teamwork aspect of command.

No Das Boot but thoroughly enjoyable - worth a second and third viewing at least.

Just watched it also, enjoyable movie, lots of action.  Some seriously crazy ship manouvering included.

I liked the focus point being onboard the Greyhound, Hanks was great too I thought. 

28 minutes ago, betty boop said:

yes greyhound is definitely there on the aussie apple TV + and wow its getting the full treatment too... 4K - Atmos

here I come .... jumping in ....

0I9A9262.jpeg

Watched it tonight. Looked awesome on the Epson 9400.

• Like 1

indeed what a great movie greyhound... nail biting :D i do hope it makes it over to uhd.... ! almost a shame it went straight to apple movies.... without a cinema showing.

• Like 1

Ps one thing I should add, love that’s only 1hr 30min, thank goodness didn’t fall in trap of many Hollywood movies that are becoming long drawn out 2.5 even close to 3hours !!!!

• Like 2

On 11/07/2020 at 10:43 PM, patjoy said:

Watched Greyhound tonight as well. I thought it was great! 

Just watched a Greyhound again after reading for the nth time, John Terraine’s excellent Business in Great Waters.

I like how Hank’s character on confirming the sinking of the U-boat responds to his crew member who had deemed the lost submariners as “krauts” by declaring them as “souls lost” for the report to the hierarchy of a successful kill.

Will watch it again but with considerably more volume and nil family members at home - I like a good explosion to be both heard and felt!!

4 hours ago, Pigpen said:

Just watched a Greyhound again after reading for the nth time, John Terraine’s excellent Business in Great Waters.

I like how Hank’s character on confirming the sinking of the U-boat responds to his crew member who had deemed the lost submariners as “krauts” by declaring them as “souls lost” for the report to the hierarchy of a successful kill.

Will watch it again but with considerably more volume and nil family members at home - I like a good explosion to be both heard and felt!!

Submarines , icky war to die .

triva - my dads father served on British subs in ww1 

Edited by cafe67
  • Like 1

Wouldn't be able to be stuck underwater on a sub. Nope. 

Don't watch too many war movies as they  are draining. Emotionally. But my faves from memory are enemy at the gates and recently 1917. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, s7e6e said:

The Guns of Navarone & Where Eagles Dare.

Actually ordered both on blu-ray recently :D been years since seen both

On 17/07/2020 at 7:24 AM, DanFi said:

my faves from memory are enemy at the gates and recently 1917. 

Both good movies.

enemy at the gates is an amazing story and movie. So well made !