The greatest war movies ever made ??

seems this thread has deteriorated from GREATEST to just anything you watched lately.. time determines greatness once its compared to others before and after..

but its a forum and all have an opinion so fair enough. just dont lump all war films in the same basket ?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, crisis said:

Is it out? I hope its better than friggen Pearl Harbour...

Apart from the acting what I couldn't stomach with Pearl harbour was  using footage of current US warships to stand in for battleship row O.o They ran out of dosh for the CGI apparently ..

Midway has 1 thing going for it ; the good guys win for once ; and hopefully plenty of lfe as the Akagi and Kaga go down :)

loved pearl harbour frankly, things like using  real Japanese zeros and not using CGI certainly gives a more real feel rather than computer game looks to it. must watch again :D 

look forward to mid way and 1917 for matter. is midway on disc already ... ? 1917 is slated for uhd release locally already ! 

soem great war movies coming out locally ...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cwt said:

Apart from the acting what I couldn't stomach with Pearl harbour was  using footage of current US warships to stand in for battleship row O.o They ran out of dosh for the CGI apparently ..

It was the convoluted love story that sucked the most. I love Beckinsale and could look at her all day but that slop was intolerable. 

3 minutes ago, betty boop said:

loved pearl harbour frankly, things like using  real Japanese zeros and not using CGI certainly gives a more real feel rather than computer game looks to it. must watch again :D 

I wanted to love it because those movies tick all my boxes but the acting and the rushed addition of the second story of the Doolittle Raid made a hash of it all.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, betty boop said:

look forward to mid way and 1917 for matter. is midway on disc already ... ? 1917 is slated for uhd release locally already ! 

soem great war movies coming out locally ...

Ime too fastidious and know to much for my own good ; guided missile cruisers just look out of place Al :) They did a good job finding the zeroes ; it was a lot harder finding enough spitfires for the Battle of Britain .. Rotten tomatoes said 

Pearl Harbor tries to be the Titanic of war movies, but it's just a tedious romance filled with laughably bad dialogue. The 40 minute action sequence is spectacular though.

Just anticipating Midway Al ; knowing the Japanese carriers were rearming their vals and kates with bombs and aircraft fuel when caught [if they did some research:/] should make for some lfe mayhem hopefully. I would hope they follow it up with a Battle of the Phillipine Seas though unlikely ; much better tactics from the Japanese and Yamato and Musashi  cop it :popcorn:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gemini07 said:

If you want to watch a good movie re Pearl Harbour, simply get the Tora Tora Tora blu ray version and be done with it. A very accurate, compelling and spectacular rendition IMO.

Yep got that one ...was a great watch. Must re discover these. Pearl harbour if not most accurate...is a great bit of fun. Eg the raid scenes etc all very well done. An audio and visual feast !

• Like 2

3 hours ago, betty boop said:

Yep got that one ...was a great watch. Must re discover these. Pearl harbour if not most accurate...is a great bit of fun. Eg the raid scenes etc all very well done. An audio and visual feast !

Yeah, I enjoy it. I can't think of a Michael Bay film that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed (although I've not seen six underground, given my distaste of steaming). I don't get the hate on him to be honest.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, agent47 said:

Hey guys if your after a classic war movie i have: "Apocalypse Now 4K - US Version 6 Disc Edition" Brand New available.

PM if interested

I actually came into this thread to mention Apocalypse Now. I think this would have to be one of the best. I love how it uses the backdrop of the war to showcase the story of Captain Willard's mission. Experiencing through his eyes an thoughts, the isolation and enormity of his mission. By the end of it it's not about ending a rogue operative, but releasng him from his own suffering. The new Final Cut release is a must watch.

• Like 1

Guest Peter the Greek
On 24/11/2018 at 8:04 PM, gemini07 said:

I actually think that Zulu Dawn (historically the prequel) was the better movie.

You're not a retired history teacher by chance?

I recall sitting in class as a 16-17 year old and my history teacher said "right, we;re going to watch Zulu Dawn"....I let out a prolonged groan. To me, back then, the action and heroics of Zulu were much more appealing. My teacher said we'd learn more if we watched Zulu Dawn for all the reasons you mention. Which with mature reflection I completely agree.

....sorry not having a dig at you or anything, I just laughed when I read your comment as it took me back to that day many moons ago. I basically had the same conversation with my teacher at the time.

Edited by Peter the Greek

12 hours ago, Peter the Greek said:

You're not a retired history teacher by chance?

I recall sitting in class as a 16-17 year old and my history teacher said "right, we;re going to watch Zulu Dawn"....I let out a prolonged groan. To me, back then, the action and heroics of Zulu were much more appealing. My teacher said we'd learn more if we watched Zulu Dawn for all the reasons you mention. Which with mature reflection I completely agree.

....sorry not having a dig at you or anything, I just laughed when I read your comment as it took me back to that day many moons ago. I basically had the same conversation with my teacher at the time.

LOL.

No, not a history teacher (close but no cigar..) But I do like to think of myself as something of a student of history.

On greatest, so hard to say. So many great ones, and my opinion changes over time. 20 years ago I'd have said Apocalypse Now, but now I'm 50, I rewatched The Deer Hunter and found it epic, and heartbreaking. It is probably the one that resonates with me emotionally the most. As a movie I find it near perfect.

From a film making / lover perspective, i still couldn't say. I'd nearly say Lone Survivor or Black Hawk Down.

And outside of movies I'd probably put The Pacific over all of them.

On 15/12/2019 at 6:39 PM, gemini07 said:

So how did Zulu Dawn go down Mick? A bit of a reality moment in contrast I would think.

Or perhaps that one wasn't shown...

Only just found this post.- can’t say about the army and Zulu Dawn - it was made 10 years after I was discharged ?