The greatest war movies ever made ??

I'm glad to see The Battle For Algiers listed close to the top. Done in b&w newsreel style (neo-realism), it's so convincing one could be forgiven for believing it contains actual news footage.

One glaring omission for me was Russian director Alex Klimov's excellent movie Come And See, probably the most disturbing war movie I've ever seen. It looks at the occupation of Byelorussia by German soldiers through the eyes of a 15 year old Russian. Not for the faint hearted.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 16/11/2018 at 11:26 AM, Addicted to music said:

Pearl Harbour.....? 

Great action scenes.

Kate Beckinsale ?.

Intolerable story line.

On 16/11/2018 at 11:42 AM, ray4410 said:

tora tora tora

I remember as a kid going with my dad to see this. For a kid who only wanted to see action it was a bit of a drag. especially sub titles. I should revisit it again though.

• Like 1

Battle of Britain gets only one mention. Best war movie ever.

As a kid I used to get so excited when it would show up on the TV guide about every 2 years.

Finally bought it about 5 years ago at JB for 10 bucks. 

Wish they would do a remake with Tom Hardy taking on the Luftwaffer in his fuel free Spitfire.

Edited by Tony ray
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony ray said:

Battle of Britain gets only one mention. Best war movie ever.

As a kid I used to get so excited when it would show up on the TV guide about every 2 years.

Finally bought it about 5 years ago at JB for 10 bucks. 

Wish they would do a remake with Tom Hardy taking on the Luftwaffer in his fuel free Spitfire.

Amazing amount of work went into that film . They were lucky that they could still get hold of ex Spanish ME109s and He111s albeit with Merlin engines. All done with no CI. Respect.

• Like 1

Interesting debate about war 'movies' as opposed o those with a war backdrop (eg Atonement).

My best three:

Schindlers List

The Pianist

Downfall

The acting in the above three was superb IMO.

Closely followed by:

Tora Tora Tora

Zulu Dawn

Blackhawk Down - all of which realistically highlight some of the dumbest military decisions ever made.

The thread has at least highlighted some new possibilities to watch!

• Like 2

On 17/11/2018 at 3:11 PM, crisis said:

I remember as a kid going with my dad to see this. For a kid who only wanted to see action it was a bit of a drag. especially sub titles. I should revisit it again though.

A friend and I went to see Tora x 3 at the Hoyts Cinema Centre in Melbourne when it came out and it was being presented in the famed 'Sensurround' sound format (or was that 'The Battle of Midway?) and we were excited having already witnessed 'Earthquake' in 'Sensurround'!

We left quite disappointed....

28 minutes ago, stevoz said:

A friend and I went to see Tora x 3 at the Hoyts Cinema Centre in Melbourne when it came out and it was being presented in the famed 'Sensurround' sound format (or was that 'The Battle of Midway?) and we were excited having already witnessed 'Earthquake' in 'Sensurround'!

We left quite disappointed....

Yeah it was Midway. It was mostly the noise of the plane engines. Wasn't as impressive as Earthquake and I don't think it was used after Midway.

• Like 1