All cassette freaks, 8 tracks rule!!!!!!!

Pfffttt. A toy. For true, hardcore Luddite, Akai released this gem in the early 1970s:

http://stereonomono.blogspot.com/2014/06/akai-x-2000sd.html

Reel to reel, cassette and 8 track. All in one neat package. 

Akai thoughtfully reduced the number of motors, running the whole thing with a very complicated array of belts. Horrible to service. 

I loved 8 track, memories in the 70's of pulling up right on the waters edge at a reef surf break called The Shallows in Shellharbour.

Pulled the big JBL's boxes out of the back of the Kombi at put them on the roof facing of to sea, bunged in the 8 track of Santana Santana and surf for hours out there "totally straight mined you ?" till the battery in the Kombi went flat.

Cheers George  

Edited by georgehifi
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, t_mike said:

So that was you!!!

Yep and while we're at it, seeing your avatar reminds me, there was a serious lack of leather dog collars on dogs in Shellharbour as we used to steal them and use them as the leg strap for our nylon corded legropes attach by a hole drilled through the fin, being in the industry working for Bennett Surfboards we heard of this being used in NZ so we used it and loved the idea, the dog owners didn't though. 

Cheers George  

I was an 8 track tragic back in the late 60s.

I had an Akai CR80, then a CR81D, then a CR80D-SS (4 channel). Later a JVC 8 track and also an AWA one (rubbish). ?

It all went downhill from when some lowlife stole my new Pioneer 8 track quadraphonic head unit out of my car, along with a dozen new quad cartridges.:-( 

Edited by drmini

Can you "tape heads" explain to me why they were called "8 tracks" when they were clearly stereo.

2 tracks stereo then the head drops down once it hits the silver conductor, to play the other two tracks on the lower half, this says 4 track to me??

Or could they do quadraphonic play back that would then mean 8 track??

Cheers George 

An 8 track stereo tape has four programs of 2 tracks of audio. The tape is a continuous loop which travels in one direction. When the metal End of Program tape hits the sensor, the head drops down to the next program pair of tracks, till the metal tape comes around again, then drops to the third pair of tracks or third program.. etc etc.

The heads pick up track 1 & 5, then 2 & 6, then 3 & 7, then 4 & 8, (similar to how a 4 track stereo uses 1 & 3, then 2 & 4), then starts over again.