Sign in to follow this  
Matyk

Audio research ls27 tube upgrade

Calling all audio research pro's!!!

Hi guys i have the  ls27 arc pre and now looking into replacing the best tubes i can find

My question is what tubes are the best?

Reflector 6h30p maybe?

Also if anyone has tried different ones what advantages do you gain

I'm a big believer in power cables and upgraded xlrs etc. So surely a better tube would be advantageous. 

I'm running stock ones. I'm only new to arc so any advise would really be appreciated

I'm also very aware that the ref 3 and 5 se are alot better than the 27. But I'm sticking with what i have.

Cheers in advance. 

Guest Muon N'

You are limited in the 6H30 tube, I personally like them but some do and some don't, curcuit and stystems can have a bearing on this.

There are only 5 types I know of.

Old Sovtek (maybe two versions EB and EV, EV might indicate longer life)

Premium, Sovtek 'DR' type (very expensive but is said to be the highest grade for military use)

New Sovtek both standard and DR I think (name now owned by American distribution company New Sensor, they hold the name of many brands now including Mullard and others)

Electro-harmonix

Some say they can hear a difference between the old sovteks standard and DR type, but some say they can't. I use the old Sovtek's Non DR in my non ARC amp, I don't feel compelled to try the other types, the old DR maybe but far too expensive for myself.

There is this page that is useful to tell some apart.

http://www.aca.gr/index/hiend/hiendArticles?row=1988

Edited by Muon N'

There's not a heck of a lot of scope for rolling of 6H30s but at least the ARC select new ones are guaranteed to give you solid performance, low microphonics, and more longevity. The electroharmonix gold pins are the sovtek valves simply with gold on top of the normal pins so there isn't a great deal of advantage to the gold plating. Upscale audio are the only authorised dealer to provide ARC select grade tubes at about $45USD each:

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/preamp-tubes/products/russian-6h30pi?variant=21829851653

If you're into power cables then you might also be interested in trying their cryo treatment as well. Neither do anything for me but your mileage may vary.

Guest Muon N'

That would be referring to new production with the EH and Sovtek as both names are owned by New Sensor.

39 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

That would be referring to new production with the EH and Sovtek as both names are owned by New Sensor.

Yes indeed sorry I said new at the start but didn't make it clear I was still talking about new valves.

Guest Muon N'
10 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Yes indeed sorry I said new at the start but didn't make it clear I was still talking about new valves.

No worries, wasn't trying to correct you, just helping it to be clear to readers :thumb:

Thanks  alot guys. Plenty for me to read through

I hope to buy  new ones once i figure out what i believe to be the best choice.

One american site has upgraded ones for 600$

And standard for 50/60$

I wonder if the higher price tag really yeilds that much of an increase. Esp considering its just a pre going into my solid state amps. 

3 hours ago, Matyk said:

I wonder if the higher price tag really yields that much of an increase. Esp considering its just a pre going into my solid state amps.

The pre really is the voice of your system. Don't belittle it. That said, I don't think there are 6H30pis that are worth spending $600 on - are you saying that's how much they are each?

3 hours ago, Ittaku said:

The pre really is the voice of your system. Don't belittle it. That said, I don't think there are 6H30pis that are worth spending $600 on - are you saying that's how much they are each?

Hi

I saw them on the tubestore.com

Actually would be 750$

Screenshot_20181114-201816.png

Guest Muon N'

Yeah, real DR's go for $300 and up for a NOS (New old stock) pair.

I think 600 for a pair is way crazy.

Edited by Muon N'

41 minutes ago, Matyk said:

I saw them on the tubestore.com

Actually would be 750$

That's entirely your call. Only you can be the judge of whether it's worth spending that. I think NOS tubes are overpriced personally but then I've also spent $500 on a pair of treasure globes myself, though they're new production, and for my preamp which doesn't have 6H30s (my power amp has them.) I've no doubt some tube types do have legendary NOS out there, but I don't usually associate the 6H30s with them - though I have nothing to base that on but what I read online. For some reason on my non-ARC gear I'm happy to tube roll madly, but when it comes to my ARC power amps, I've only been happy with ARC select since they introduced the concept. The first ARC power amp I bought 25 years ago there was no such concept, and the default valves it came with were pretty meh.

Here, read this advertorial on an ARC factory visit:

https://www.carltonaudiovisual.com.au/news/audio-research/

Edited by Ittaku

Hi,

Tried a pair of Electro-harmonix 6H30Pi, in my Ref 75SE and then used these two in my Ref 6(it has 6 x 6H30Pis)

Found these Gold Plate produced a slightly warmer/basser shade than the AR supplied units.

Good but I preferred the AR supplied tube sound.

I bought four EH's,  sold the two I used.

Bought them from Amptubes in Qld.

Have two brand new EH 6H30Pis, matched and unused.

$65 for the pair.

I'm in Sydney.

PM me if you want them.