B&W 800 series finishes

Does anyone know if the Cherrywood and Rosenut finishes on these are just stained or layers of the actual timber species?  (Or a combination of both?)  In the youtube video it says that the timber used is Birch....

I know it's sacrilege, but I'm considering buying an old set of 800s or 802s in Rosenut and refinishing them in a lighter finish.  Cherry seem to be very rare in Oz.

Edited by 72sporto

I believe its many layers laminated with the final one being the outer ? this is a photo from their current series showing the wood press, not to say their previous series might not be done slightly differently :)

1_5_slide_2.jpg

most makers use real wood veneers. its not solid wood as cost to do that would be prohibitive and also deal with the issues you can get with natural defects and such 

I've not heard / read of anyone re finishing a veneered surface successfully though havent researched doing on B&W 800 series specifically...

I would think just be easier to buy a set in the right finish ? 

the lighter cherry finish look seems to be disappearing from most makers now either doing automotive finishes or rose wood or darker woods :) 

curiously cherry though does naturally darken with age... light exposure over time....

Yes It is Birch Ply laminated, then finished with the appropriate veneer or paint finish.

They stopped making the Cherry wood (light wood finish) in the latest D3 range unfortunately. I think it looked better than rosenut, but apparently worldwide demand for the cherry was low.

The limited edition Santos finishes look nice though.

Edited by Ray H

Guest jakeyb77

Speakers I am having made now are birch ply and the veneer is the last layer on the top. As in it’s part of the original wood not laid on after. 

Not sure if B&W use the same effect but Al would be on the money. 

Thankyou all for your replies.

If you look closely at the laminated end grains you can see that the colour closely matches the side panels.  Very difficult to achieve unless the timber is homogeneous.  This leads me to believe that only Birch is used and that stains are employed to create faux "Rosenut" and "Cherry".