Using Channel D Pure Vinyl Recording Software.

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone out there is using Pure Vinyl 5

As a senior with a few issues I  decided I would like to make digital copies of my favourite vinyl for those occasions when I am unable to sit down and listen quietly with a glass of nice red in my hand

I have downloaded trial copy of Pure Vinyl 5.

Instead of running the output from my Clearaudio Phono to the analog input on my active speakers, I direct it through a Schiit JIL ADC and then a USB cable to my MacBook Pro. Input Sound on the Mac recognises the USB input, and inbuilt speaker output.

When I record there is no sound, although a file is created, and when I playback that file, there is no sound.

I point out I have also tried Audacity with similar results.

Clearly something is amiss and I would welcome any assistance members can offer,

Thanks, Geoff

Thanks.

There is a limit on trial software where the final 30 seconds fades to nothing.

Have tried Garage Band and can hear record playing through internal speakers.

When I record a metronome tick tock sound appears, and when I playback through iTunes the metronome sound is all i hear. I guess the fact that the record plays suggests the ADC line in is working?

On 13/11/2018 at 9:58 AM, gtee said:

Instead of running the output from my Clearaudio Phono to the analog input on my active speakers, I direct it through a Schiit JIL ADC and then a USB cable to my MacBook Pro. Input Sound on the Mac recognises the USB input, and inbuilt speaker output.

When I record there is no sound, although a file is created, and when I playback that file, there is no sound.

I point out I have also tried Audacity with similar results.

With Audacity, when you have multiple inputs on your computer (say, the inbuilt audio, plus the USB one you added) you need to select the correct input in Audacity, otherwise you are just recording the silence of the unused input.

Thanks. Find I am unable to get USB input in to appear in Audacity despite it being set in Sound and Midi set up on Mac. clearly I am doing something wrong. Copy of screens attached.

image.thumb.png.2779aa8b72d064f2951f1ea707d0ae76.png

image.thumb.png.92a47e0dea1a6118f784091300e89f9c.png

image.thumb.png.9181bdcbecd0c88899579dc859fdb055.png

image.thumb.png.ac942d07814c91fa6f9dcb4e8de0d5da.png

10 minutes ago, gtee said:

No pop up list, Built in Microphone is the only option.

I am not running on Apple.  Mine is a linux machine,    however - it does sound like your audio programs can't see the driver/hardware properly.

Edited by aussievintage

Not exactly addressing your issue but Pure Vinyl is pretty pricey - maybe have a look at Vinylstudio, I use the PC version and can recommend it as both very reasonably priced and comprehensive in its facilities for the task of vinyl archival/digitising.

I have previously used Garage Band with a USB audio interface for vinyl recording on a mac and would suspect that your difficulties are somewhere in your settings.  I note that the preference pane you posted above is on the Midi page not the recording devices page.

A couple of thing to look at, firstly check the Devices page in Audacity preferences as per the shot below (this is Tascam USB interface on a Mac Mini running Mavericks) then check your output level which I note seems set very low.

It is just possible that you are making a recording but not hearing it on playback.

On my interface Audacity does not record until there is input - eg I start recording and it remains paused until sound is input to the device and pauses again when input stops (I just tested it using a CD player to input analogue to the interface). 

IIRC when I used Garageband I had to create an instrument and call it a turntable then set some parameters for it before I could record, that was around 6 years ago and I do not now recall the exact procedure, but the program is more oriented to studio type recording so the set up was a little quirky.

Just thought of something else worth checking, make sure that your sample rate set on the JIL, in the Audio Midi control panel and in Audacity all match.

415769457_ScreenShot2018-11-16at8_11_41pm.png.af3bc50712117deb8d1c1d61bbc36ab2.png

Edited by ophool

Have tried a few times today but keeps falling over near end of installation. Have sent VinylStudio an email.

Agree with you, it looks really good, and is well supported.

It is possible that security features in later versions of Mac OS are interfering with the installation.

I think Apple have introduced features making it harder to install non apple store applications, depending on your OS version there will be system settings that require changing.

What version of Mac OS are you using ?

Using Mojave 10.14.1. PureVinyl got back to me straightaway and issue sorted. I have recorded a couple of albums with success, and today have ordered the Pro version. Many thanks for pointing me in the VS direction, and your help. Software looks great, dinosaur friendly, and well supported. No doubt I will be seeking your assistance again when I move past the  recording stage.