Magico Owners and Discussion Thread

The award winning Aeris from Legacy Audio is also a good value for money floor stander with a 12" passive radiator and built-in 1000W active sub for bass slam that goes below 20 Hz. However it comes with an active room correction cum crossover (Legacy Wavelet) that needs to be tuned to the room but if calibrated well, it can give this excellent speaker the performance that can revel any top brands a run for their money that will not burnt a big hole in your pocket. Well worth the audition at Tritone Audio.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m seriously considering the A3, but they recommended me to audition the S1 first as it’s more suitable for our typical room sizes. Anyone who owned the S1 care to share your experiences?

I have the S1 mkII in my small study room but still had to add a JL Fathom F112 v2 to supplement the bass and ambience. The S-Sub is too big to fit in my room though.

As for amplification, I was considering the Soulution 530 and Gryphon Diablo 300. You can try out the Soulution paired with Magico but for the Diablo 300, I am not sure if Ref Audio has a demo set available. I remember reminding Reference Audio in in late 2017 and on multiple occasions that I am keen on listening to the Diablo 300. They promised to get back to me in end Nov or early Dec but I have yet to receive a call from them. Too busy recently so couldn't be bothered bugging them either.

I have the S1 mkII in my small study room but still had to add a JL Fathom F112 v2 to supplement the bass and ambience. The S-Sub is too big to fit in my room though.

As for amplification, I was considering the Soulution 530 and Gryphon Diablo 300. You can try out the Soulution paired with Magico but for the Diablo 300, I am not sure if Ref Audio has a demo set available. I remember reminding Reference Audio in in late 2017 and on multiple occasions that I am keen on listening to the Diablo 300. They promised to get back to me in end Nov or early Dec but I have yet to receive a call from them. Too busy recently so couldn't be bothered bugging them either.

Thanks for your input.

I’m lucky enough to hear the S1MK1 with the Diablo 300, I can really hear the synergy between both and I’m really engaged with the music, I placed my stake on the Diablo. There’s alot of refinement for the combo and I could listen for hours,now just waiting anxiously for the A3 or I might even consider a pair of S series if budget allows.

The 530 is a different beast in terms of pricing, the new 330 will be more comparable.Alvin from Music Image mentioned the Soulution will sound faster and with lifelike imaging.

Reference Audio is demoing the CH amplifications and Wilson Benesch speakers, agreed that their response might be lagging.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for your input.

I’m lucky enough to hear the S1MK1 with the Diablo 300, I can really hear the synergy between both and I’m really engaged with the music, I placed my stake on the Diablo. There’s alot of refinement for the combo and I could listen for hours,now just waiting anxiously for the A3 or I might even consider a pair of S series if budget allows.

The 530 is a different beast in terms of pricing, the new 330 will be more comparable.Alvin from Music Image mentioned the Soulution will sound faster and with lifelike imaging.

Reference Audio is demoing the CH amplifications and Wilson Benesch speakers, agreed that their response might be lagging.

I have the S1 mk1 driven by a Vitus SIA-025 in a room 3.3m x 6 m, speakers on the short wall, about 2m apart.  More than adequate bass for me, did not need / want subs - particularly after a break-in period.  I listen to all sorts of music, from jazz to vocal to classical to rock, indie, EDM, and even cheesy 80s pop :)  It's not terribly forgiving of badly recorded music (80s music, particularly bad) but is surprisingly flattering to a wide range of music.

You probably have made your choice but if you would like a listen let me know.

I have the S1 mk1 driven by a Vitus SIA-025 in a room 3.3m x 6 m, speakers on the short wall, about 2m apart.  More than adequate bass for me, did not need / want subs - particularly after a break-in period.  I listen to all sorts of music, from jazz to vocal to classical to rock, indie, EDM, and even cheesy 80s pop :)  It's not terribly forgiving of badly recorded music (80s music, particularly bad) but is surprisingly flattering to a wide range of music.

You probably have made your choice but if you would like a listen let me know.

Hi there

Yes I had ordered my pair of A3 and will be delivered by next week.

Yes I would definitely love to pay you a visit if u don mind playing the host:)

Congratulations to your new toys. Indeed the A3 is a nice size for Singapore general music room.

It retain the high resolution and clear tight bass like their big old Q series but more easy to drive. And it is more affordable than their older series.

Congratulations to your new toys. Indeed the A3 is a nice size for Singapore general music room.

It retain the high resolution and clear tight bass like their big old Q series but more easy to drive. And it is more affordable than their older series.

Yes i will have to agree that the A3 is well suited to enclosed room, the showroom is not doing enough justice to the speakers, its affordable and no compromise in SQ.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Indeed they make extraordinary speakers which makes u enjoy any music played through them. I’m very happy to be a Magico owner though the entry model, guess I will be stuck with the Magico badge for a long time.

Any A3 new owners out here since the new shipment had arrive? Pls share your thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

These extremely rare subs look pretty spectacular on paper https://magico.net/product/qsub.php, but I can't find a decent review anywhere online - there's only one impression of the Q-Sub18 there, and the local distributor here for Magico doesn't even advertise them. I've been in contact with him to get some pricing and more details but I'm wondering if anyone's ever seen or heard them in Australia? Alternatively if any of our international guests had heard them I'd be interested in their experiences.

Magico claim 136dB @ 20Hz from 2x 15" drivers.

An extremely quick calc on the back of an envelope says that this would need +/- 100mm excursion from the driver when they're placed in a corner.

Something seems off.... and that's before we even get to the @ 1% THD claim

Impressive box design, as expected :) 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

An extremely quick calc on the back of an envelope says that this would need +/- 100mm excursion from the driver when they're placed in a corner.

No, that's the claim for the 2x18" drivers.

Well I got a copy of the Q-Sub manual from the manufacturer and it's depressingly sparse in terms of detailed specifications. There is a 21 page manual that goes into the basics of sub positioning, measurements, lots about the DSP controls and software to modify them, but there are precisely zero specifications outside of the DSP description. There isn't even more than a single photo of the sub itself, with nothing showing the back of it and only written descriptions of the inputs - USB, ethernet and two XLR analog inputs. The USB and ethernet are for controlling the device, not for digital inputs or anything like that.

Frankly for $34,500 for the Q15 and $56,500 for the Q18, I expected better.

5 hours ago, Ittaku said:

These extremely rare subs look pretty spectacular on paper https://magico.net/product/qsub.php, but I can't find a decent review anywhere online - there's only one impression of the Q-Sub18 there, and the local distributor here for Magico doesn't even advertise them. I've been in contact with him to get some pricing and more details but I'm wondering if anyone's ever seen or heard them in Australia? Alternatively if any of our international guests had heard them I'd be interested in their experiences.

I haven't heard the Q Sub but do have  Magico S7.   Magico seem to  constantly have an excess demand over supply  and its rare to have any of their speakers as demo for very long at all.   I had S5's originally and there wasn't a hope in hell of getting a demo of the S7's for some time so I  ordered them sight unseen.   They exceeded my expectations as it turned out.

I am not implying that you should necessarily buy the Q-sub without an audition but based on my experience with Magico and investigation of their technology, I am pretty well convinced that there is no other manufacturer who does accuracy, and in particular bass accuracy better than they do. Even the S7's  can go exceedingly deep and loud  with consummate  ease  and without  distortion.  

In terms of the sparse literature, I have noticed that too with all their gear.  Alon Wolf is an engineer first and foremost  and devotes most of the  company resources to R&D .  He seems hell bent on constantly pushing the boundaries  as evidenced by the use of carbon nano-tube technology as driver material and later  graphene before the rest  of the world had developed  uses for the new discoveries.  Their tweeters are diamond-coated beryllium using a proprietary process that is essentially carried out in a laboratory.  They use the scientific process and  R&D the crap out of everything right down to the  spikes for each speaker and the crates they are transported in.    Its seems Alon thinks the  engineering speaks for itself .

2 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

I wouldn't doubt their published specs.     All tests done  on their other speakers confirm published specs and in the case of the S5, they recorded the lowest distortion of any speaker ever tested by the NRC.    The Magico subs weigh 250kg  due to the immensely rigid  structure. Conventional designs are pliable in comparison and absorb a lot of sound energy.    Magico have measured up to 175db internal sound pressure. 

• Like 2

Thanks @Tasso. I agree all the Magico gear is exceptionally engineered and reliably excellent which is why I'm vaguely interested in this sub. The Q18 will definitely meet the requirement of any sub any where any time, but I have no use for something that big or that loud. What I'm looking for is whether the Q15 is capable of meeting or exceeding every possible realistic requirement I have with its smaller form factor which I could just barely squeeze into my system. I want its incredible enclosure and its closed box reproduction but also want to recreate everything a pipe organ can do in my study (lol). Even my existing subs, which have "output" down to 10Hz, whilst they may reproduce 16Hz, they're not exactly putting out an awful lot of air at that level (yes I know that's inaudible), and even with their 75cm enclosure, I can visibly see them vibrate and even warp. I'm just not sure that 2x15" woofers, even in that ludicrous enclosure will be able to do say 115dB at 20Hz which would be my target. The website simply says 15-150Hz which by itself is pretty much useless. They list a 2000W amplifier and 90dB efficiency which would theoretically give over 120dB if the drivers were operating in their linear range but I'm quite sure they will not be, and this would also not be at 20Hz. So I'm left wondering in the absence of measurements, and certainly wouldn't fork over enough to buy a medium sized car without at least knowing that. If I were to buy them it would be as an end game supplement to my existing system. The SVS subs (that I have) are exceptional value but that's all; they are not the final word in subwoofers. The other option I have is to simply add a second SVS SB16 ultra which would be much cheaper but I don't really have the space for that... Anyway this is all going to end up being a transient fancy of mine since 95% of my listening is not loud enough to reach the existing sub's limits.

3 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

They would have to be estimating room gain to get that figure.

If we look at what a 2x18" 4kW sub can achieve at 20 Hz, it's around 120 dB outdoors. With 4kW into both drivers, 80mm excursion (peak to peak) is required. Throw in 16 dB of estimated room gain and you get 136 dB. In an average real room you add +/- 15 dB on due to room modes.

In reality a sub will always measure at a lower max SPL than modelled due to mechanical and thermal effects. Further, it's being generous to assume the driver can handle 80mm excursion. It requires a considerably large surround, which the driver in the photo does not have.

I'd suspect it probably would do 1% THD under certain conditions eg. above 40 Hz at 90 dB.

If Magico had really figured out how to achieve 136 dB outdoors at 1m at 20 Hz with only 1% THD, I'd expect to see several patents and ground breaking innovation. To put this into perspective, a pair of horn loaded 18" drivers would not achieve that spec either.

• Like 3

This is the only review I've been able to find of the Q15, and as per most TAS reviews, there aren't an awful lot of measurements, except for one frequency sweep which means nothing in isolation. It also has a rather quirky setup but that doesn't matter for me with an active crossover. He also goes on to say that he was going to review it more in the future, but there's never been a follow up review. Sigh.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/magico-q-sub-15-and-raidho-d-51/

Edited by Ittaku