Magico Owners and Discussion Thread

Understand they are beyond reach of most but seen more discussion on other super expensive speakers like Wilson, Rockford too here, wonder why not much discussion here.

Their latest U$9.8k Magico A3 due to be released next year is intriguing, aluminum cabinet, beryllium tweeters, etc for the price. Don’t see local dealer Music Image promoting too??

http://magico.net/Marketing/Press_Release_A3.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just checked with MI, ETA will be end March, 3 pairs will available.

I’m seriously considering the A3, but they recommended me to audition the S1 first as it’s more suitable for our typical room sizes. Anyone who owned the S1 care to share your experiences?

As for amplification, I am in search of a integrated amp to match the Magicos, the reason is cos I need to hook it up for AV purposes hence Pre/Power isn’t my option. I’ve read great reviews using Gryphon Diablo, Soulution 330, Vitus RI 100 etc, the Hegel H360 was being used to drive the Magicos with good results, as I’m a current H160 owner and familar with the signature sound Hegel possess, my only concern is will it really do justice for the speakers? I rely heavily in streaming music,Hegels do have built in dac and AirPlay so I’m really spoilt by it. I guessed my next move will be a integrated amp with HT bypass,built in dac preferred plus a streamer, or a streaming player with built in Dac.

Can anyone recommend alternatives  than those brands mentioned to drive the Magicos well, My Budget is around $15k.

Thanks

Just checked with MI, ETA will be end March, 3 pairs will available.

I’m seriously considering the A3, but they recommended me to audition the S1 first as it’s more suitable for our typical room sizes. Anyone who owned the S1 care to share your experiences?

As for amplification, I am in search of a integrated amp to match the Magicos, the reason is cos I need to hook it up for AV purposes hence Pre/Power isn’t my option. I’ve read great reviews using Gryphon Diablo, Soulution 330, Vitus RI 100 etc, the Hegel H360 was being used to drive the Magicos with good results, as I’m a current H160 owner and familar with the signature sound Hegel possess, my only concern is will it really do justice for the speakers? I rely heavily in streaming music,Hegels do have built in dac and AirPlay so I’m really spoilt by it. I guessed my next move will be a integrated amp with HT bypass,built in dac preferred plus a streamer, or a streaming player with built in Dac.

Can anyone recommend alternatives  than those brands mentioned to drive the Magicos well, My Budget is around $15k.

Thanks

I recall Music Image have an used Gryphon Diablo. you can get a used unit and allow more cash for the source. For the streaming player, do you mean a streaming from ethernet or a music server with Harddisk?

I recall Music Image have an used Gryphon Diablo. you can get a used unit and allow more cash for the source. For the streaming player, do you mean a streaming from ethernet or a music server with Harddisk?

Hi, I meant streaming from internet like Spotify and Tidal.

I saw the Diablo, as the amp runs hot and it’s aging, was worried about the condition but I may consider that option too.

If u base mainly only on Ethernet music. One option I can think of is the Linn DS Majik. It is not too expensive and it sound very good for the price. It is also very reliable n get constant update.

The Majik seems pretty neat, but will be better with built in dac, do u own it?

The Majik seems pretty neat, but will be better with built in dac, do u own it?

The Majik is a build in DAC and I own it before. That is why I made this recommendation to you. Unlike some of the music server with dac, the Linn mid and high is not aggressive and you will enjoy it for long time.

I have it for 4 years before I upgrade to the Light Harmonic Davinci with PC server.

The only problems with the Majik is that it only have unbalance, can only play PCM and up to 192K. but if your main target is Spotify, Tidal, and do not Main unbalance output. This is a very good music server/dac to start.

The Majik is a build in DAC and I own it before. That is why I made this recommendation to you. Unlike some of the music server with dac, the Linn mid and high is not aggressive and you will enjoy it for long time.

I have it for 4 years before I upgrade to the Light Harmonic Davinci with PC server.

The only problems with the Majik is that it only have unbalance, can only play PCM and up to 192K. but if your main target is Spotify, Tidal, and do not Main unbalance output. This is a very good music server/dac to start.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will put that in my list, I will be exploring the likes of Auralic, Lumin etc.

Are u still playing thru the Q1?

Because I am playing with triode tube amp and the magico q1 is 86dB, now with the 93dB horns Mummy, I don't have problem with any tube amps.

Anyway, the Magico speakers still very high performance speakers, they just need good amps to pair up.

• 2 weeks later...

what do you guys think of magico q3? any other speakers at the 30k pricepoint worth looking at?

Looking at your pre/power, logical alternative would be Wilson. Since you bought gear from HER, you can ask for a home demo. Another good brand would be Vivid. Yamaha NS5000M sounds very good when properly driven. Now you can hear them at Music Image. For something totally plain in looks but mind-blowing when properly matched, give the big active ATCs a listen. Especially at high volume. 

any other speakers at the 30k pricepoint worth looking at?

Can try the legendary Chario from Italy. Heard their top of the line flagship reference speaker, Serendipity from their Academy Series and was blown away by its sheer musicality & tight n deep bass.

Really awesome & badass speakers if you can accommodate its huge footprint into your listening room and also easy on the pocket (just below S$40K). Their signature solid Walnut finishing looks is to die for.

A trademark of true Italian craftsmanship & a beauty to behold.

If you are planning on a magic Q3, playing in medium size room, enjoy lots of Jazz music and you have decent gears to drive it. The Q3 is one speaker hard to beat. I own the Wilson Sasha, Alexia and after I heard the Q3 side by side in my home. I sold my Alexia and I end up with a magic Q1 and Qsub15... haha.

I think there is a used Q3 in Music Image, you can consider it.

MusicImage does home demo?

What I know of is that if you are very interested, home demo can be arrange. If you like it after the home trial, you keep the speakers or they order a new one for you at the price both of you agreed. If you find it not suitable for you, you have to pay the transport to the delivery man to bring the speaker back.

Take note that the Speaker is 100 over kg, the price for the transportation varies if you are staying multi-storey land property where your music room is not on the ground floor.

what do you guys think of magico q3? any other speakers at the 30k pricepoint worth looking at?

It really depends on the music genre that you listen to and the type of sound that you are looking for.  I have heard the Q1, S1 Mk 2 and Yamaha NS5000 at MI. Other possible contenders?

- Vivid Audio G4

- Avantgarde Acoustics Uno XD

- Wilson Benesch Discovery Mk 2

what do u think of the ns5000

the NS5000 is more forgiving than the magico. If u have alot of normal recording and vocal, u may like the NS5000 over the magico. If you are into jazz and love sparker and detail, Magico may be the choice.

Also take note your room size. If you to play in a big hall and play loud, I will suggest the NS5000 or at least the magico 5 series. But if you are playing in smaller room, the NS5000 12" may overload your room, and Magico Q3 will be a better option.