Transmission line speakers?

After seeing Ascension/Adelaide Speakers talked about on SNA it prompted me to look at their website.

Are the specs really that impressive? Very low top and bottom end +/- 2db? If so, It would be a fairly safe buy without auditioning... surely...

I have not yet listened to a Transmission line speaker, in simple terms, how do these sound compared to a ported box? Do they have the same presence when the volume is turned “up”?

They all appear to have similar frequency response, and I’m sure all the models sound very different. I think I would aim at about the Summoner 1093sqtl or dqtl, if anyone has a set of these, can you let me know what you think?

16 hours ago, Suopermanni said:

I have the Summoner 1093DQTL as a pair of bookshelves by him and I can say I like what I hear. What exactly are you looking for?

I have thought a little about what I’m looking for,

I think it is probably some of the same things everyone is after...

1.  Perfection? Or as close as I can get to it without having to take a second mortgage out, the “hair standing up on your arms” kind of sound when listening to music. (My Little Richter Harlequin mk1 are the first speaker I have owned that has managed this, but I’m craving a little more lower Bass response)

2. Without getting into a p$ssng contest with neighbours or mates and damaging audio equipment - Good solid quality sound at low volume and be able to give a good kick in the guts when called for. 

3. Aussie made/designed (bragging rights over mates that have bought off the shelf)

50 minutes ago, Beerbudget audiophile said:

1.  Perfection? Or as close as I can get to it without having to take a second mortgage out, the “hair standing up on your arms” kind of sound when listening to music. (My Little Richter Harlequin mk1 are the first speaker I have owned that has managed this, but I’m craving a little more lower Bass response)

2. Without getting into a p$ssng contest with neighbours or mates and damaging audio equipment - Good solid quality sound at low volume and be able to give a good kick in the guts when called for. 

3. Aussie made/designed (bragging rights over mates that have bought off the shelf)

Oh, and timber veneer makes for a nice looking piece of art 

23 hours ago, Beerbudget audiophile said:

Well, I can say that the Bass response of the Summoners I have is quite enough for me, I don't find I need a sub or that I'm even craving more.

51 minutes ago, Suopermanni said:

Hey @Beerbudget audiophile, did you get a chance to hear transmission line speakers yet?

Not yet, I have been a little busy, but I plan to before I make my next decision for a pair of speakers. It has been said that once I hear... I will never go back to ported... we’ll see ;)

Finally got to hear a set of PMC twenty speakers yesterday, only briefly, but with music I was familiar with.

I “think” I understand the difference in bass. For the little bit I heard, it seemed less of a droning noise on this particular track than some of the ported speakers I have heard (The Old Richters don’t do too bad in this department though) The Bass wasn’t weird sounding, just seemed to be a few subtle things in the bottom end that were revealed. I think I would be just as happy with Transmission line as with a well designed ported Enclosure.

In my more contemplative moments I am considering Ascension Speakers, those of the transmission line variety.

I know that there is at least one thread on SNA about Ascension speakers, but I think that was more to do with home theatre/AV.

My Weston EL34 triode amp is a kinda modest 25 watts, but nevertheless I reckon I might have broken my 91 dB speakers (voice coil? Tweeters? Who knows.  It buzzes) one day when I pushed them a bit hard at about the 3pm level for a couple hours.

Closest neighbours, about 300 metres away, would have clearly heard.

I have emailed Edward, and he was most educational.  I have also googled, of course, and transmission line are pretty tricky - many say more of an art than a science.  One bloke reckoned they must be using Chebyshev low and high pass filters.  I can't even code those suckers into Excel.

Yes, @Beerbudget audiophile , he achieves a pretty good flat response (+/-2db) to the low 20's.  This to be compared with often industry standard of +/- 3dB.

Or worse - I have seen +/- 6dB.

Can't comment on the PMC speakers, but they do come up in any search.

Edit - I am considering his valve speakers.  He has only two models.  The 96dB one.  Sweet.

Edited by Lloyd

46 minutes ago, Lloyd said:

In my more contemplative moments I am considering Ascension Speakers, those of the transmission line variety.

I know that there is at least one thread on SNA about Ascension speakers, but I think that was more to do with home theatre/AV.

My Weston EL34 triode amp is a kinda modest 25 watts, but nevertheless I reckon I might have broken my 91 dB speakers (voice coil? Tweeters? Who knows.  It buzzes) one day when I pushed them a bit hard at about the 3pm level for a couple hours.

Closest neighbours, about 300 metres away, would have clearly heard.

I have emailed Edward, and he was most educational.  I have also googled, of course, and transmission line are pretty tricky - many say more of an art than a science.  One bloke reckoned they must be using Chebyshev low and high pass filters.  I can't even code those suckers into Excel.

Yes, @Beerbudget audiophile , he achieves a pretty good flat response (+/-2db) to the low 20's.  This to be compared with often industry standard of +/- 3dB.

Or worse - I have seen +/- 6dB.

Can't comment on the PMC speakers, but they do come up in any search.

Edit - I am considering his valve speakers.  He has only two models.  The 96dB one.  Sweet.

There is a pair for sale in the classifieds on page 4.

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2018 at 1:09 PM, Beerbudget audiophile said:

After seeing Ascension/Adelaide Speakers talked about on SNA it prompted me to look at their website.

Are the specs really that impressive? Very low top and bottom end +/- 2db?

Yes - they are well designed speakers for the money.  ?

I have not yet listened to a Transmission line speaker, in simple terms, how do these sound compared to a ported box? Do they have the same presence when the volume is turned “up”?

Hard to generalise.... in theory they are kinda an optimisation between and sealed and a ported box.   They should sound excellent.

They all appear to have similar frequency response, and I’m sure all the models sound very different.

That should lead you to believe the opposite... ie. all the models should sound quite similar

I think I would aim at about the Summoner 1093sqtl or dqtl, if anyone has a set of these, can you let me know what you think?

I have an 863 sized model in the collection .... it's great for the $

• Like 1

The only transmission line speakers I have heard were IMF, man could they do bass.

Mine are quarter wave, which is a type of transmission line and they also do good bass from 2 6" drivers.

On 01/12/2018 at 9:22 AM, davewantsmoore said:

Yes - they are well designed speakers for the money.  ?

Hard to generalise.... in theory they are kinda an optimisation between and sealed and a ported box.   They should sound excellent.

That should lead you to believe the opposite... ie. all the models should sound quite similar

I have an 863 sized model in the collection .... it's great for the $

All models should sound quite similar, but the frequency response is usually measured 1 metre in front of the speaker? This wouldn’t take dispersion etc in consideration.

The adelaide speakers look like a well thought out design, and even just reading some of the specs on the individual drivers is impessive enough... may have to start saving some dollars... it is so hard when vinyl begs me to buy it...

Edited by Beerbudget audiophile
Spelling...

2 hours ago, Beerbudget audiophile said:

All models should sound quite similar, but the frequency response is usually measured 1 metre in front of the speaker? This wouldn’t take dispersion etc in consideration.

Correct, but I was talking about the bass (ie. where the TL box is) ....  and bass frequencies -> omnidirectional (ie. no dispersion effects)

2 hours ago, Beerbudget audiophile said:

The adelaide speakers look like a well thought out design

Just boring/good designs, with good to great (but not silly $) drivers .... all delivered for a reasonable price.    Focuses on what matters, given a limited budget.

• Like 1