Hi, 

insulation generally is not really expensive. I am using only polyester which is a little bit more expensive than fiberglass but it's much better product. If you have timber ceiling joists they are usually every 600 and the insulation goes between them. If you have steel furring channels, they usually goes every 600 and insulation can go on top of channels or between. The standard insulation in Sydney is R2.5 for ceilings, which is (after decompression) around 125mm in thickness. R3  (150mm) even better. There are few online stores with good prices, you just need to know the area , the R value, and spacing.   

I'm interested in this subject atm.

I'm adding a family room to my house I want the:

1. Good thermal insulation which seems straightforward (buy highest R value that ceiling/wall cavity will accomodate?)

2. Decent sound insulation to avoid annoying neighbours. (I don't play super loud music but am conscious that this new room is right next to their bedrooms). To be clear, I'm not trying to soundproof, just reduce noise leakage.

Is their a product that does both? I'm struggling to compare products on their thermal and accoustic performance.

Your help is appreciated.

Yes, actually polyester has both thermal and acoustic insulation properties. There is sound insulation but I could'n find any difference except higher price.  Additionally there is sondcheck 13mm plasterboard (CSR preferably ) or firecheck 16mm (any ). Firecheck is most commonly use even for acoustic purposes. You can go with double layer of firecheck on walls and ceiling + double glazed windows. If that would be not enough there are steel clips with rubber that can be attached to wall, those clips are for furring channels 28mm and they create framing with cavity about 40mm. On top of that frame you can fixed another double leyer of firecheck of soundcheck. 

Important thing to remember - firecheck as well as soundcheck are quite heavy so the timber framing (ceiling joists ) must be strong enough to hold that extra load. 

As an option and I have no idea how much it costs now but we put in sheeps wool bats when we built this house around 20 years ago. Seems to perform as well as anything and when you have to get up there its no scratchy!

Thanks guys. I won't go the whole hog with green glue and double gyprock ( I have opted for double glazed windows). I really just want a decent insulation bat that gives me a reasonable compromise on thermal and sound. For example, I could use earthwool for its R value but are it's accoustic properties any good?

Thanks guys. I won't go the whole hog with green glue and double gyprock ( I have opted for double glazed windows). I really just want a decent insulation bat that gives me a reasonable compromise on thermal and sound. For example, I could use earthwool for its R value but are it's accoustic properties any good?

Any fibreglass or poly batts are fine
Thermal properties equate well with acoustic
Mike