Vinyl Enlightenment and Celebration

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:44 PM, acg said:

The guy that is/was Phoenix Engineering has a few threads on diyaudio where you can purchase pcb's and build more or less those speed controllers that he used to sell.   I've built up a couple of boards and will have finished speed controller for my Lenco over  the Christmas break.  I've also some Papst external rotor 3 phase motors that I will get running with those pcb's... they are very flexible.

Hi AC

I am Interested that you are trying the Carlin type controller on your Lenco. Will it have the tachometer/feedback system incorporated, or manual adjustment for speed correction?

I have a couple of the boards for the Sanders/Nigel speed controllers from Lenco Heaven, but have not gotten around to assembling the parts, let alone building one. Jealous and keen to hear how yours go.

Cheers

Grantn

On 11/11/2018 at 7:52 PM, metal beat said:

Please post if your analog rig sounds great and if you like, explain why.      You don't need to spend a lot of $$ on vinyl for it to sound good, it just takes patience, a bit of experience and patience.   :)              Personally I have spent a lot of time on setting up every cartridge correctly and the platform it sits on.

Its all the Fun of it IMO....Like swapping between a 2M Bronze and Black stylus on a PLX 1000 just because..well you can...:P

1091166578_2MBrBl.thumb.jpg.1c56defb031c7ab99c731213d023703d.jpg

I personally eschew to the vinyl sounding awesome through vintage equipment especially in amplification as these amps had to make the best of what was available back then...feed 'em some modern stuff and .....oooooooooo!!!:thumb: 

1339387618_3Amigos.thumb.jpg.58d8ba3b406e95b47f18ffd4074da2bb.jpg

Using techniques and skills I fabricated my own plinths for my LP12's....labour of love but the results in aesthetics and SQ turned out to be very nice indeed...

1345827757_KlimaxLook.thumb.jpg.defc94f603c8342a06877da0a55b3fb8.jpg

2124218710_KLP12lightshot.thumb.jpg.ec91290421f2c23984afc9907484864a.jpg

Have fun...

Tase 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, gnnett said:

Hi AC

I am Interested that you are trying the Carlin type controller on your Lenco. Will it have the tachometer/feedback system incorporated, or manual adjustment for speed correction?

I have a couple of the boards for the Sanders/Nigel speed controllers from Lenco Heaven, but have not gotten around to assembling the parts, let alone building one. Jealous and keen to hear how yours go.

Cheers

Grantn

Hi Grant,

It is a 4 phase sine generator with outputs at 90 degrees.  With the standard L75 motor only one phase is necessary, but if I use a 3 phase motor down the track then that is also covered with this speed controller.  To set the exact speed of the motor you just vary the frequency of the sine wave using a potentiometer until the tacho reads as it should then lock it in.  I will also have a tachometer setup using a hall sensor which will very accurately display the rpm each revolution but will not provide feedback with which to correct platter speed. 

I don't think the whole feedback thing can ever really work 100% because of the inconsistencies of the drive system of any turntable be that idler, belt or whatever.  Best is to have a platter that does not change speed in the first place when confronted by varying stylus loads...but that is not an easy thing to do.

Cheers,

Anthony

7 minutes ago, acg said:

I don't think the whole feedback thing can ever really work 100% because of the inconsistencies of the drive system of any turntable be that idler, belt or whatever.  Best is to have a platter that does not change speed in the first place when confronted by varying stylus loads...but that is not an easy thing to do.

Control theory anyone?  It is easier if you start with something fairly stable, but that unpredictable disturbance (the varying stylus load) is exactly why you need feedback and control circuitry to get the ultimate in speed stability.  But of course, to really make it work, you need to understand how to tune a controller - or have a manufacturer do it.

otoh,  open loop systems , as you suggest, can still produce extremely acceptable results.

36 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Control theory anyone?  It is easier if you start with something fairly stable, but that unpredictable disturbance (the varying stylus load) is exactly why you need feedback and control circuitry to get the ultimate in speed stability.  But of course, to really make it work, you need to understand how to tune a controller - or have a manufacturer do it.

otoh,  open loop systems , as you suggest, can still produce extremely acceptable results.

The major problem is that feedback corrections  are applied after the problem has occurred and so are always chasing their own tail.  Vinyl playback is a marvel of engineering that it even works let alone sounds ok.

1 hour ago, Martykt said:

The obvious effort and passion you have put in is a testament Tase !! :thumb: 

What are the isolation pods you have under there?

Appreciate your comment Sir...

Believe it or not here's the ..em..er...isolation pods...:sorcerer:

IMG_6833.thumb.jpg.dbfbdf3680264bca24914097091fefd6.jpg

The inserts are Linn Skeets. Thought I'd give them a go as the Skeets are a perfect fit in the Glass Lid.

I had intentions of getting something from Nordost or Track but so far these have proved exceptional ...

Tase.

Should add still might apply a 2k clearcoat resin inside the glass Lid for more damping...

Edited by Tasebass
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Tasebass said:

The inserts are Linn Skeets. Thought I'd give them a go as the Skeets are a perfect fit in the Glass Lid.

I had intentions of getting something from Nordost or Track but so far these have proved exceptional ...

Tase.

I trust that you carried out extensive trials to confirm that the hint of hazelnut was superior to either of these alternatives?

small-exotic.png.1256f7a27b9224ddb07e9b657f3ef335.pngsmall-indulgence.png.a74b7980f7f4cf13ff7b632c153c25d5.png

? 

13 minutes ago, Tasebass said:

Tase.

Should add still might apply a 2k clearcoat inside the glass Lid for more damping...

Ha.  Love it Tase.

You gotta buy a lot of coffee for those isolation pods.  Might be cheaper to buy hifi isolation ?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, gnnett said:

I trust that you carried out extensive trials to confirm that the hint of hazelnut was superior to either of these alternatives?

small-exotic.png.1256f7a27b9224ddb07e9b657f3ef335.pngsmall-indulgence.png.a74b7980f7f4cf13ff7b632c153c25d5.png

?

....gonna try the bigger ones for Amp/Speaker isolation though...:P

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Full Range said:

Both the Nimbus record and Linea tracker are a thing of beauty ???

I should do another Nimbus comparison with the other 2 Kind Of Blue Records I have 

This is the only Kind of blue record I have which I happened to purchase today so can't do any comparisons but all I can say is..... WOW !!!! :wub:

Don't think I need to buy any different vinyl versions !!! 

3 minutes ago, Martykt said:

This is the only Kind of blue record I have which I happened to purchase today so can't do any comparisons but all I can say is..... WOW !!!! :wub:

Don't think I need to buy any different vinyl versions !!! 

You are lucky to nab one as only about 1000 were pressed 

Its my personal favourite with the Columbia 6 eye Mono version a close second 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Full Range said:

Both the Nimbus record and Linea tracker are a thing of beauty ???

Thank you.

I have to say I'm extremely happy I bought the Rockport when I had the chance.

It sounds incredibly special, and easily exceeded all of my expectations.

I feel very privileged to own such a special and rare tonearm.

5C33BD19-8508-4A8B-912C-ADB73BF9A187.thumb.jpeg.c71d1c7c0a8b4b69855dc0c6257c7187.jpeg

Edited by Martykt
  • Like 5

I love my system. It aint the most expensive system on here, but i think it looks and sounds amazing.

Pro ject Xperience SB 

Yamaha A-s1100 

Ortofon 2m Bronze cart

Lounge Audio MKIII phono stage

Ascension Summoner Speakers

IMG_20180711_092046_664.jpg

IMG_20180714_194704_790.jpg

IMG_20180422_195053_402.jpg

IMG_20180830_221331_737.jpg

IMG_20180806_001211_447.jpg

• Like 16

4 minutes ago, weavzy said:

I love my system. It aint the most expensive system on here, but i think it looks and sounds amazing.

Pro ject Xperience SB 

Yamaha A-s1100 

Ortofon 2m Bronze cart

IMG_20180422_195053_402.jpg

Love your listening room and vibe of the room deco :thumb:

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, weavzy said:

Pro ject Xperience SB 

Yamaha A-s1100 

Ortofon 2m Bronze cart

IMG_20180806_001211_447.jpg

Love the two guitar amps sitting there as well.   What's the little Fender - a twin reverb?  I love Fender amps.  I built a copy of the Deluxe, and the Champ,  and I just bought a Fender Mustang GT100 modelling amp.

52 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Love the two guitar amps sitting there as well.   What's the little Fender - a twin reverb?  I love Fender amps.  I built a copy of the Deluxe, and the Champ,  and I just bought a Fender Mustang GT100 modelling amp.

Its a 1971 fender twin. Its sounds glorious. Silver face fenders tend to get a bad rap from time to time. But i wouldnt swap mine for anything.