Vinyl Enlightenment and Celebration

I should add that I had the Hitachi fettled and tweaked by John Matheson and the thing he did that made the biggest improvement was strategically adding  constrained layer damping to the platter, as well as a comprehensive servicing. I have added a cork/rubber mat and fitted the P77i in lieu of the original Hitachi ( AT 95 ) cart and the improvement has been huge.

In time I may move up the pecking order, but frankly this is ridiculously good as it stands.

• Like 2

looks great and I am sure it sounds as good @rantan   :thumb:      That is the wonderful thing about vinyl and turntables - EVERY thing you do changes the sound - not always for the better, but many times it does.

@Citroen   Cliff, what you mention about vinyl almost making you listen to at least one side or the entire album is so true  - no shuffle play with vinyl  - you get to actually explore albums and enjoy them more.

• Like 2

My vinyl path began (2nd time around) in around 2012 with a lowly Technics SL-1400 with a Fidelity Research FR-101SE cart, which I quickly updated to a AT125LC, which I hated, and so moved to an OM10.

I retired that deck, and got an Rega RP1, which was also very average and had terrible speed problems (yes, even with a 'white belt').

Sold that and moved on to a Technics SL-120 MKI, SME 3009 arm and a Shure IV cart  which I really enjoyed and served me well until I decided I needed another step up.

Next was the Rega RP6 with the Exact cart, which I never enjoyed and couldn't believe I STILL had to upgrade the damn thing with that white belt malarkey (don't get me started!). So I sold that quite quickly.

I came across the Pioneer PL-50L next and I haven't looked back with this fine lookin' 'woody'.

I swapped out my Cambridge amp, and put in the vintage Pioneer SX-3800.

The carts for the table have revolved a few times, but I'm Ok with the Nagaoka MP110 on it currently.

Adding a Cambridge 640p stage a few weeks back has definitely improved things too.

Very happy with the overall system right now.

It's still a tiny baby amongst the power systems found within SNA, but I've enjoyed every step of discovering what vinyl can bring to my small room.

Spinning a record, any of them, is always something I look forward to.  ?

Photo 14-11-18, 7 14 58 pm.jpg

Photo 14-11-18, 7 32 03 pm.jpg

• Like 12

My current table is a clearaudio champion 2se,with a origin live arm-onyx,zyx fuji r100fx,running through a gold note phono.

The stand i built myself,using solid aluminium,and perspex shelves,-very heavy!

The tonearm is the most recent addition,i went for one lower down the origin range to 'test the water', i did not want to commit to a really pricey one until i had played with a cheaper one-i have made that mistake too many times !-for the record i love it, and one of their top ones is now in my sights.

i have no plans to change tables-i have owned countless turntables,ranging from crap to very good - this one just sounds right

Over the years,i went through long periods of being a linn fanboi,starting with a basik,then an axis,followed by 4 lp 12's in various guises with other brands in between !

My first proper t/table,when i was 17,was a dual 1229, which i kept until i dropped it during a drunken episode and smashed it to bits-ouch ! i cried a lot.

My late mother introduced me to records when i was 5 years old,teaching me to handle records carefully,and operate the dansette player she gave me-thanks mum !

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0200.JPG

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, candyflip said:

My vinyl path began (2nd time around) in around 2012 with a lowly Technics SL-1400 with a Fidelity Research FR-101SE cart, which I quickly updated to a AT125LC, which I hated, and so moved to an OM10.

I retired that deck, and got an Rega RP1, which was also very average and had terrible speed problems (yes, even with a 'white belt').

Sold that and moved on to a Technics SL-120 MKI, SME 3009 arm and a Shure IV cart  which I really enjoyed and served me well until I decided I needed another step up.

Next was the Rega RP6 with the Exact cart, which I never enjoyed and couldn't believe I STILL had to upgrade the damn thing with that white belt malarkey (don't get me started!). So I sold that quite quickly.

I came across the Pioneer PL-50L next and I haven't looked back with this fine lookin' 'woody'.

I swapped out my Cambridge amp, and put in the vintage Pioneer SX-3800.

The carts for the table have revolved a few times, but I'm Ok with the Nagaoka MP110 on it currently.

Adding a Cambridge 640p stage a few weeks back has definitely improved things too.

Very happy with the overall system right now.

It's still a tiny baby amongst the power systems found within SNA, but I've enjoyed every step of discovering what vinyl can bring to my small room.

Spinning a record, any of them, is always something I look forward to.  ?

Awesome looking deck. :thumb:

I am a bit surprised  because I always thought that you have multiple mega decks given amount of records that you have and also selling here often :)  

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Awesome looking deck. :thumb:

I am a bit surprised  because I always thought that you have multiple mega decks given amount of records that you have and also selling here often :)  

The two aren’t really related, so.... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, candyflip said:

Totally agree and I actually feel relieved that I do not have to upgrade my gear as my vinyl collection grows. It is an option but do not have to. :) 

Edited by Spider27
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, candyflip said:

I assume the best finds make their way into your personal collection though. :D 

I'm guessing you must have a pretty amazing collection by now !! :cool:

1 hour ago, Martykt said:

I assume the best finds make their way into your personal collection though. :D 

I'm guessing you must have a pretty amazing collection by now !! :cool:

Luckily for everyone involved, I’m not much of a collector. I just play what I like.

Which leaves most of the rare and limited stuff to y’all.  ✌️

• Like 2

On 13/11/2018 at 5:15 PM, soundfan said:

Nice thread Shane, thought I would give my thoughts.

I started with a Pioneer PL???? in 1980, and kept it through to about 1992. Loved it, played it loud and often, with way less thought to sound quality as I would now. Stupidly got out of vinyl for a decade and got back into vinyl in about 2000. IIRC I started with a Thorens TD 160, and graduated to a TD160 Super which I modded to a small degree. I ended up buying an AR "The Turntable" from the US, modded the bejesus out of it with damping/plinth/springs etc and added an ol' faithfull Rega RB300 which TBH really made this table sound excellent.  Next table was a Luxman PD350 which I kept for a decade and sold it on to a member here. Regret that sale as it was a big step up from previous tables I owned.

Funds from the Luxman went toward a Technics SP10 MKII, and had a slate plinth built by a member here for it. Awesome table. At about that time (around 2007 I think) I purchased the Tonearm that I still use to this day. An Alphason HR100S.

While the SP10 MKII was in the house I dabbled at buying another turntable, a Lenco GL75 in an excellent plinth with a PPT top plate. Also from a member here. Kept both running for a couple of months till I realized that 2 tables took up too much room, so after a lot of A/B -ing, sold the Technics SP10 MK II and kept the Lenco. Very hard decision, and I could easily have gone the other way.

I still run the Lenco to this day. Have done quite a few mods, starting with an idler wheel, then a double platter followed by a new (and expensive) bearing from a Lenco Heaven member. Also purchased an extended spindle to cope with the 2nd platter. With another platter I had to buy another armboard, so I had DUC (rest in peace) build me one. Not fancy looking but does whats required of it.

Been through a heap of Cartridges over the years, but my favourite and still current cart is a Garrott P87 MC. Love Garrott cartridges, reckon the Garrott Optim FGS is also superb buying at about 1k now I think. I used to change carts as often as 3 or 4 times a week to experiment, but haven't bothered for a year or so now.

My Phono preamp (Icon Audio PS3 SE) I use was funded by an AFP deployment to Christmas Island in early 2013 when the boats were coming in all the time. Very happy with it, although it does look a bit industrial. Has mono switch, and ability to run both an mm and mc cart. 2 components.

My last purchase was the Phoenix Engineering (out of business now) Roadrunner tachometer and Eagle PSU. Very very happy with the sound of this table, and haven't touched it for about 2 1/2 years.

I still think that vinyl is the best sounding format I use, but I'm not as anal in it's defence as I used to be. :)  Quite happy to stream or play a CD, at the end of the day it comes down to the music....and a lot of albums I love just don't get a vinyl release. If they do some of them are just too expensive, hence being happy to stream or play a disc.

Anyway, that's my journey, have no intention of changing anything anytime soon. Love the sound of my deck, and the added speed control/psu was icing on the cake. Maybe I might try new shoes for my plinth one day, but maybe not.

Oh.... I did buy a Thorens TD125 with SME 3012 arm (impulse buy) a couple of years ago, but as decent as it sounded, it was no match for my Lenco, and anyway I just don't have the room or inclination to run two tables. Sold it on.

Another point to add. I learnt the hard way by doing it myself; mainly referring to arm and cartridge set up here. Nothings better than being satisfied with giving  a go, make your mistakes..... and learn from them. Some folk can buy a great turntable straight up and be happy with it, I've enjoyed the journey so much more by learning as I went.

Couple of pics.

TT.jpg

TT1.jpg

TT2.jpg

TT3.jpg

TT4.jpg

TT5.jpg

Interesting read, thank you. 

I have Lencos too and have been keen to try the roadrunner and eagle. 

It's unfortunate they are not being made anymore and they never seem to come up for sale second hand. 

Is there anything else on the market that does the same job? 

14 hours ago, candyflip said:

I retired that deck, and got an Rega RP1..................

Retired to my "stealth" living/kitchen/dining area system. Still giving great service when a record must be heard, though I mainly use CD, FM or Chromecast streaming in that area.

Great bang for buck when paired with the over achieving AT95E.

sl1400.thumb.jpg.f5f379abd251869cbabfc6d0586cccc8.jpg

Edited by enikoy
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, enikoy said:

Retired to my "stealth" living/kitchen/dining area system. Still giving great service when a record must be heard, though I mainly use CD, FM or Chromecast streaming in that area.

Great bang for buck when paired with the over achieving AT95E.

sl1400.thumb.jpg.f5f379abd251869cbabfc6d0586cccc8.jpg

Ahh, and matched to a gorgeous AKAI Receiver mate.... very nice!

Glad it's still pumping along... I should never have moved to the RP1 in retrospect.  ?

My Garrard 401 was built about 1966/7 based on the serial number 
I am the second owner since approximately 1975 

Have built a few plinths for it over the years while with me
However the last plinth build and a full refurb with enhancements is the best 
Absolutely superb 

A966194E-06D2-4325-B0FD-C3E93DB29C9F.thumb.jpeg.0eda55ff3c95d551a0d67326686f1b48.jpeg
D641EDCD-BCEE-4E3A-AE25-AA220306454E.thumb.jpeg.3e483c3a0641e3e44ea83453a0b0e067.jpeg
F06B5F67-F029-4897-9EAD-CFC418ABF181.thumb.jpeg.35e3e33a1f788a7f37a23b49f9c6e25a.jpeg
053C2418-7282-4BBB-AE20-D2D7BCE11F8E.thumb.jpeg.d8143252321159ba610a8fcb0a975f4c.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

Wow, do you have a template of that plinth design?

The template for the cutout is available on the internet and in any Garrard 301/401 user manual 

The shape was determined by the slab I purchased 

However if you are interested in the build - you can find it on this link 

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/82084-garrard-401-rebuild-for-the-22nd-century/

4 hours ago, The Blues said:

It's unfortunate they are not being made anymore and they never seem to come up for sale second hand. 

To be honest, I have no idea what is available these days....but reckon a "speed controller" google will come up with many alternatives.

Lenco Heaven is a great source for any info on Lenco's, and I know there are threads there about speed control /psu's and the like. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Blues said:

The guy that is/was Phoenix Engineering has a few threads on diyaudio where you can purchase pcb's and build more or less those speed controllers that he used to sell.   I've built up a couple of boards and will have finished speed controller for my Lenco over  the Christmas break.  I've also some Papst external rotor 3 phase motors that I will get running with those pcb's... they are very flexible.

• Like 1