Sign in to follow this  
Arcsabre

7.1 Power Amp | Emotiva or Elektra (Aussie)?

Hi Guys,

Recently came across this 7-Channel Power amp Elektra HD7:

https://www.melbournehifi.com.au/collections/elektra/products/elektra-theatron-hd-7-channel-power-amplifier

So based on the specification it has got output of 190W per channel when powering 7-channel, with a THD  @1Khz < 0.0003%. For 20Hz-20kHz it claims to have a THD < 0.001%.

So the extremely low THD got my interest. As far as I know most integrated stereo amp couldn't achieve such low distortion. (If the specification is trustable, of course)

Beside this, I also found Emotiva's XPA-7 Power amp:

https://www.lifestylestore.com.au/emotiva-xpa-7-gen3-7-channel-power-amplifier.html

or

https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/emotiva-xpa-7-7-channel-power-amplifier.html

Which has got 200W per Channel for 7 channels and a THD of < 0.02%. Which is not bad also.

Price wise, Elektra is $4,000 free shipping (Have heard some slightly lower price but haven't confirmed yet) while Emotiva here in Australia is retailed at $2,999.

I'll be using it for half HT uses and half music listening...I would say both are important to me but my budget for a power amp for now is this much. Also going with a $1500 AV power amp + $2500 Integrated amp is not ideal to me... 

So what do you guys think?  Any advice? Cheers

Edited by Arcsabre

Guest DarkNark

Hi Luke

I will preface this by saying I have never heard either of these amps and I like you am a beginner. I would say don't get too caught up in the distortion figures, I don't think they are the be all and end all of choosing an amp. The first thing I would want to know will either of these amps drive my speakers with no issues. What speakers do you have? What is the impedance specs of your speakers?

One thing to keep in mind is that (as far as I am aware) there are no dealers in Perth that carry Elektra. I have emailed Arthur to confirm if this is correct, because I am interested in an Elektra preamp, but so far I have had no reply. I have spoken to a dealer in Perth about Elektra and was told that there is nobody in Perth to repair them and is one of the reasons they don't carry them. If your Elektra does develop a fault, more than likely you will be shipping it back to the eastern states to have it repaired.

The Emotiva gear is, I think, reasonably good value for money as long as you keep in mind that it would generally be considered entry level gear. I currently have an Emotiva preamp and Emotiva mono blocks. They both work fine for what I paid for them and to my ears sound great. I bought from a dealer in Perth, if one develops a fault, the dealer will take care of it. Having said that I have never had an issue with them. 

In terms of sound quality I would "expect" the Elektra to be better. The issue is for people in Perth is, with no one locally stocking the item we can not have a listen. Are you prepared to drop 4k on something that you haven't heard? I may be sounding a little pro Emotiva here, but I am not. I am looking to upgrade my Emotiva preamp to possibly an Elektra, hence I have come across the stumbling block of no one stocks it in Perth which is a major bummer!

1 hour ago, Arcsabre said:

........I'll be using it for half HT uses and half music listening...I would say both are important to me but my budget for a power amp for now is this much. Also going with a $1500 AV power amp + $2500 Integrated amp is not ideal to me... 

I am not sure I understand this bit. Do you have an AV already? I assume so?

BTW I bought something from Melbourne HiFi (your first link) and they were great to deal with.

Maybe shoot @Hydrology a PM, I know he deals with Emotiva at his store, now and then. He will offer a more professional insight than I can.

Edited by DarkNark
edit link

10 minutes ago, DarkNark said:

Hi Luke

I will preface this by saying I have never heard either of these amps and I like you am a beginner. I would say don't get too caught up in the distortion figures, I don't think they are the be all and end all of choosing an amp. The first thing I would want to know will either of these amps drive my speakers with no issues. What speakers do you have? What is the impedance specs of your speakers?

One thing to keep in mind is that (as far as I am aware) there are no dealers in Perth that carry Elektra. I have emailed Arthur to confirm if this is correct, because I am interested in an Elektra preamp, but so far I have had no reply. I have spoken to a dealer in Perth about Elektra and was told that there is nobody in Perth to repair them and is one of the reasons they don't carry them. If your Elektra does develop a fault, more than likely you will be shipping it back to the eastern states to have it repaired.

The Emotiva gear is, I think, reasonably good value for money as long as you keep in mind that it would generally be considered entry level gear. I currently have an Emotiva preamp and Emotiva mono blocks. They both work fine for what I paid for them and to my ears sound great. I bought from a dealer in Perth, if one develops a fault, the dealer will take care of it. Having said that I have never had an issue with them. 

In terms of sound quality I would "expect" the Elektra to be better. The issue is for people in Perth is, with no one locally stocking the item we can not have a listen. Are you prepared to drop 4k on something that you haven't heard? I may be sounding a little pro Emotiva here, but I am not. I am looking to upgrade my Emotiva preamp to possibly an Elektra, hence I have come across the stumbling block of no one stocks it in Perth which is a major bummer!

I am not sure I understand this bit. Do you have an AV already? I assume so?

BTW I bought something from Melbourne HiFi (your first link) and they were great to deal with.

Maybe shoot @Hydrology a PM, I know he deals with Emotiva at his store, now and then. He may offer more professional insight than I can.

Thanks Dave! Frankly your response was really interesting to read. 

I'm a regular flyer between Perth and Melbourne so going to Eastern states is not a problem to me. Actually I'm going to Mel to try these amps next week hence this thread.

Regarding the Preamp I've got a few things to ask if you don't mind:

-Which Emotiva Preamp are you using? (Cuz I've also considered MC-700 but was a bit concerned about Emotiva's build quality)

-Which Elektra Preamp are you thinking of getting?

-If the dealer which I'm going for the Emotiva XPA-7 has also got both preamp I'm happy to do a comparison between the above two preamps by the way, if you think that's going to help you with your decision making.

At the moment I'm thinking of getting a good AV power-amp for both stereo music listening and HT uses. I will be only getting one system at the moment and therefore won't consider using a dedicated integrated amp for music (stereo), even if it comes with HT bypass. So really I've constrained myself to only get one amp for both uses. Later maybe, like after five years, I might get a much better integrated amp for stereo listening. For now, I'll spend the budget on one AV amp.

Hi@Arcsabre

I have had both brands of amp in HT situations, and neither has been a problem or could I discern a deal of difference in their application.

I have sold both in the past 2 years and this is due to a move in house and not requiring that amount of power or the room that they occupy.

If there is a dealer for Emotiva in Perth, go and have a listen, even ask @DarkNark  if he is willing to let you listen to his system to get an idea as to the sound.

Also don't forget to try to listen to the system with the same or very similar speakers, if possible, so as you have a more realistic comparison when in Melbourne

JJ

Edited by Janjuc

I would not pay those amounts for either. Have not heard either, but I am just coming from a different direction.

I am not saying they are not worth it, but a lot better value can be had by buying used.

If it is 50/50 for HT and 2 channel I would look at an integrated amp with HT bypass. That way the  2 fronts is driven by the good amp for 2 channel and HT and your AVR is driving everything but the fronts which means it has more power to do the rest.

Edited by Jventer

Guest DarkNark
42 minutes ago, Arcsabre said:

......Regarding the Preamp I've got a few things to ask if you don't mind:

-Which Emotiva Preamp are you using? (Cuz I've also considered MC-700 but was a bit concerned about Emotiva's build quality)

-Which Elektra Preamp are you thinking of getting?

-If the dealer which I'm going for the Emotiva XPA-7 has also got both preamp I'm happy to do a comparison between the above two preamps by the way, if you think that's going to help you with your decision making.

Currently I use a Emotiva XSP1 as my preamp. I am looking to try a valve preamp, so i the Elektra range that would be the PNYX.  Thanks for the offer, I have a brother in Melbourne so it may be an excuse to visit him one weekend. :)

47 minutes ago, Arcsabre said:

At the moment I'm thinking of getting a good AV power-amp for both stereo music listening and HT uses. I will be only getting one system at the moment and therefore won't consider using a dedicated integrated amp for music (stereo), even if it comes with HT bypass. So really I've constrained myself to only get one amp for both uses. Later maybe, like after five years, I might get a much better integrated amp for stereo listening. For now, I'll spend the budget on one AV amp.

If you are looking for an AV and want to listen to 2 channel then you could do a lot worse than this. https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/254950-anthem-mrx-720-brand-new-in-box/

Apologies, looks like you only have a pre, so looking for a poweramp or poweramps to do the rest.

I still think you should just be patient and buy used.

Drive the 2 fronts or even the 3 fronts with the bets amp you can afford and then drive the rest with something else.

But, maybe you can pick up a good 7 channel amp.

Regarding 7.1, do you have a passive sub? Many subs are active as in they have their own amp. If you have a passive sub you need an 8 channel amp.

@Arcsabre  please clarify what you already own and what you are looking for?  Also what is your budget?  

34 minutes ago, Jventer said:

Apologies, looks like you only have a pre, so looking for a poweramp or poweramps to do the rest.

I still think you should just be patient and buy used.

Drive the 2 fronts or even the 3 fronts with the bets amp you can afford and then drive the rest with something else.

But, maybe you can pick up a good 7 channel amp.

Regarding 7.1, do you have a passive sub? Many subs are active as in they have their own amp. If you have a passive sub you need an 8 channel amp.

Thanks mate. Yes I've got a DAC and a pre for stereo. I'm looking for the ideal AV power amp under or slightly above $4000. Later on I'll be using this amp to drive everything else (like you said) and get a much better integrated amp for the LR channel. But for now I'll be using this power amp to work with my DAC and Pre for both HT and Music.

I've got an active sub and I don't really care that much about sub so the sub output of the power amp will not be a determinant of what am I getting.

The reason I'm getting an AV power amp instead of an AV power amp PLUS an integrated stereo amp is because I know I want to get a much better integrated stereo amp in a few years. After getting that integrated stereo amp I will use the AV power amp (which is what I'm looking for now) for other channel but LR. I'm not planning to replace this AV power amp after getting the integrated stereo amp so I want to get something not too bad hence the decision to spend $4000 on an AV power amp.

Hope it clarifies.

33 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

@Arcsabre  please clarify what you already own and what you are looking for?  Also what is your budget?  

Hi Snoop! So like stated in the previous paragraph. Green shows what I've got and Orange is what I haven't. 

Its important to point out why the emo xpa's are cheaper than the Elektra's [ hopefully not too biased as Ime running a Elektra theaterhd and a emo basx a150 atm]. One reason is the Elektra has a bulky toroidal power supply and large filter capacitors which is both heavier than the emo's switch mode psu [so shipping is dearer]

The emo has a fully regulated 3kw of power and if you read this; 

https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/xpa-11-gen3  

you will see that the emo is modular and can be optioned with double blades and myriad options to suit your system now and in the future .. Also note that both brands are class A/B  but the emo is more efficient as its got class H switched rail capability due to the smps .. Similar technology to that used by Arcam in the $$ AV850;s class G 

At low power levels, each channel operates on a relatively low supply voltage, to minimize quiescent power consumption and standby power losses. Then, when the demand for power increases, it instantly and seamlessly switches to a higher voltage rail to ensure that the signal passes cleanly and without clipping. This process happens on a continuous basis - in real time, allowing greater overall efficiency, cooler operation, longer component life, reduced power consumption, and increased reliability.

Emo's last series 2 xpa amps used traditional toroids but the new series have been just as popular  :) btw the main engineer used to work for Theta so no slouch . Cant go wrong with either after a listen ..

15 minutes ago, Arcsabre said:

Thanks mate. Yes I've got a DAC and a pre for stereo. I'm looking for the ideal AV power amp under or slightly above $4000. Later on I'll be using this amp to drive everything else (like you said) and get a much better integrated amp for the LR channel. But for now I'll be using this power amp to work with my DAC and Pre for both HT and Music.

I've got an active sub and I don't really care that much about sub so the sub output of the power amp will not be a determinant of what am I getting.

The reason I'm getting an AV power amp instead of an AV power amp PLUS an integrated stereo amp is because I know I want to get a much better integrated stereo amp in a few years. After getting that integrated stereo amp I will use the AV power amp (which is what I'm looking for now) for other channel but LR. I'm not planning to replace this AV power amp after getting the integrated stereo amp so I want to get something not too bad hence the decision to spend $4000 on an AV power amp.

Hope it clarifies.

Hi Snoop! So like stated in the previous paragraph. Green shows what I've got and Orange is what I haven't. 

Great

I think if you buy used you can get a great 7 channel amp for less than $2K. If lucky even at about $1K. That leaves lots of $ for the future.

Guest DarkNark

So by AV power amp you are referring to a multiple channel amp?  like the 2 that you have listed?

What is your AV source? You don't have one and are considering the MC700?

Does you "pre" that you own have HT bypass?

What do I think?  It's a no brainer, Elektra over the Emotiva all day long.  Quality lasts...

13 minutes ago, DarkNark said:

So by AV power amp you are referring to a multiple channel amp?  like the 2 that you have listed?

What is your AV source? You don't have one and are considering the MC700?

Does you "pre" that you own have HT bypass?

Yes I'm referring to a 7 channel (at least) amp. Like the 2 I listed. The Pre I got doesn't have HT bypass (it was a bit old) but I don't mind running the LR channel also with the AV preamp for now. 

Sorry, I am slow today.  Am I correct in saying you have a 50/50 mix between music and movies ?

40 minutes ago, Arcsabre said:

Yes I've got a DAC and a pre for stereo. 

And you have a stereo preamp only?  So you are only playing movies via stereo only?

Or do you have a HT pre processor? (& model?)  Hence, you want a multi channel amp?

Guest DarkNark

Time for one of your diagrams I think Snoop!

31 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Sorry, I am slow today.  Am I correct in saying you have a 50/50 mix between music and movies ?

And you have a stereo preamp only?  So you are only playing movies via stereo only?

Or do you have a HT pre processor? (& model?)  Hence, you want a multi channel amp?

So I have on hand:                                                                                                                                       

Stereo Source:

-Logitech Transporter hi-res streamer (Inc.Pre amp)

-Meridian 500 CD player

-Meridian 566 DAC

Stereo Amp:

-Shengya A-206 MK-II Class-A Integrated Amp (which I don't plan to use anymore)

AV Amp:

-an Onkyo (forgot the model) receiver (broken down a few months ago)

And I've just moved to Perth so I only plan to bring the devices in green to here.

What I'm planning to get now:                                                                                                                    

-an AV Pre amp;

-an AV Power amp around $4,000 mark;

-A pair of Bookshelf Speakers.

What I don't plan to get now: (getting them later)                                                                                       

-Integrated stereo amp;

-Other speakers; (centre, satellite, sub)

And this thread is about the AV power amp in Blue.

Thanks!!

Edited by Arcsabre

a couple of years ago I looked again across a few different options imported and local and elektra was yet again a no brainer.

I hope you dont mind me saying this, but in my opinion the elektra plays on a separate plane a level above the emotiva here you are also considering. the emotiva is a budget brand in the us it only costs here what it does due to costs to get it here and support it here.

I have compared the elektra with amps costing about twice what it retails here locally and it did pretty well in that league... which makes sense as it probably would cost twice what it did if it were being sold overseas .... just like the amps I was comparing with cost half what they do back in their home markets :)

as to some concern of shipping stuff across the nation. how on earth does stuff get to WA :D its not like its made there. and guess what nothing gets fixed there either. all has to be shipped "over east" but in any case amps are usually pretty solid dependable things and amps like the elektra uses THE very best of components. just have to peak inside to see :) I have also not ever heard of anyone grizzling about arthur's service. if ever have to take avail.

this is the elektra I ended up getting...to augment the one I already had...

imageproxy.php.jpeg

imageproxy.php-3.jpeg

imageproxy.php-2.jpeg

imageproxy.php-4.jpeg

imageproxy.php-5.jpeg

I have also done quite a few comparisons over the years with the elektra vs 2ch amps.... I can tell you this much it is very accomplished for its 2ch prowess if just using it in that fashion for driving 2 main channels.

Got to say I am a massive Elektra fan and have been since I purchased my first Theatre7.

over the years I have owned almost every item that Arthur has made.

But yep it sure makes it easier to decide when the manufacturer is local.

Also  I do believe that there are better sounding units out there but at a cost many more times than that of the Elektra.

Imo the Local product is definitely a cut above.

Guest DarkNark
15 minutes ago, :) al said:

.......as to some concern of shipping stuff across the nation. how on earth does stuff get to WA :D its not like its made there. and guess what nothing gets fixed there either. all has to be shipped "over east"......

My Anthem MRX 510, which was purchased from a vendor in the Eastern states was repaired in WA. About 15 mins from my house. Once the fault occurred, the shop gave me a list of approved repairers in WA and I took it there. All covered under warranty.

My understanding at this stage is, that unfortunately this is not the same for the Elektra product. Only a day or 2 ago was a thread regarding shipping costs back to the vendor being paid by the customer. So it appears that it is a concern for some. :)

20 minutes ago, DarkNark said:

My Anthem MRX 510, which was purchased from a vendor in the Eastern states was repaired in WA. About 15 mins from my house. Once the fault occurred, the shop gave me a list of approved repairers in WA and I took it there. All covered under warranty.

My understanding at this stage is, that unfortunately this is not the same for the Elektra product. Only a day or 2 ago was a thread regarding shipping costs back to the vendor being paid by the customer. So it appears that it is a concern for some. :)

Good for you. Point me to your local emotiva repairer(suspect same as for your anthem)... and why buy the anthem from the eastern states ? Isn’t it sold local to you ?

we buy things for all manner of reasons from vast array of choices out there for us. May you find yours. I am very happy with mine :)

as to vendor shipping ...just keep in mind someone has to pay for things  in end...same goes with local repairers and websites and call centres and sales people marketing folk and account managers and on and on...you pay for those with most brands.... it’s why those overseas brands cost here twice what they do back in their home country... it’s called the Australia tax...

there is a good way around the Australia tax...buy local...

that is not to say the isn’t anything else worth buying...certainly wouldn’t suggest that... but I would say I have had to pay myself quite a bit more for those overseas made pieces I myself run in my system.

Guest DarkNark
1 minute ago, :) al said:

Good for you.

2 minutes ago, :) al said:

Point me to your local emotiva repairer....

I don't need to. I purchased my Emotiva from my local dealer. Any issues I have with it, it will be returned to said place of purchase and it becomes their headache not mine.

7 minutes ago, :) al said:

.... and why buy the anthem from the eastern states ? Isn’t it sold local to you ?

Well not that it really matters, but to cure your sense of curiosity, no, it was not available to me locally. I bought a refurbished Anthem MRX 510 which was a discontinued model. What was available to me locally was an Anthem MRX520, which I couldn't afford. :)

13 minutes ago, :) al said:

there is a good way around the Australia tax...buy local...

Agreed! If I may, possibly that could be reworded as " there is a good way around the WA tax.....buy locally supported......"

If you regard not being able to see the product, audition the product and have the product repaired locally, by locally I mean in the state that you live in, as a non issue then your point is well made. Personally I would rather be able to see it, touch the buttons, listen to it before I dropped $4K because someone on the internet said they like them. 👍

All of this is academic, the OP flys in and out of Melbourne regularly.

21 minutes ago, DarkNark said:

I don't need to. I purchased my Emotiva from my local dealer. Any issues I have with it, it will be returned to said place of purchase and it becomes their headache not mine.

Till the warranty runs out.... or something happens where retailer stops selling / supporting a brand or an importer is no longer so generous. Emotiva has a chequered past especially locally ... things can and do change all time. Also as I mentioned we are talking amps here they are generally pretty reliable especially where made with top quality components as the Elektra is :) 

I think you missed my point in that much is neither made or supported in wa. Not every one wants to limit themselves to just what little is made and supported there. 

Well not that it really matters, but to cure your sense of curiosity, no, it was not available to me locally. I bought a refurbished Anthem MRX 510 which was a discontinued model. What was available to me locally was an Anthem MRX520, which I couldn't afford :)

It was a rhetorical question, there was no need to answer :) as I answered for you in that people buy things from all over place for own reasons :) I bought a dac from France few years ago. Maker long gone. No local support. It’s an orphan was 10 years old when got it. Had two locals work on it twice spent what I bought it for on further work and absolutely adore it ...

If you regard not being able to see the product, audition the product and have the product repaired locally, by locally I mean in the state that you live in, as a non issue then your point is well made. Personally I would rather be able to see it, touch the buttons, listen to it before I dropped $4K because someone on the internet said they like them. 👍

All of this is academic, the OP flys in and out of Melbourne regularly.

If this was such a concern to people, the suprateks made and sold by mick over in wa and can only be serviced by him (no one else will touch them) and that no one sells or demos outside wa would mean no one would buy outside the state ? Yet people own them outside wa and overseas :)

and indeed yes op clearly stated he is a Melbourne regular so quite possibly not a concern :)

Guest DarkNark

Al, not sure I missed any of your points, but to be honest I think we are just going around in circles here mate. All the best! Enjoy your Elektra's and I will keep trying to source a PNYX to have a listen to locally. :)