Power supply upgrade for Gross, Fein & Klein III DAC’s.

Gieseler Audio

Hey guys thanks for all the support. I was just about on top of things & then the orders start to pour in again.

I’ve really got to keep more tabs on the critical parts - out of Jensen transformers now, reordered but about a ten day lead time   so no more Klein III’s for a couple of weeks.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hey guys thanks for all the support. I was just about on top of things & then the orders start to pour in again.

C'mon guys, we all know how much Clay loves tinkering!  Your orders are putting a stop to it!  :tongue: ? ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Muon N'
16 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Also Silmic  caps are notorious for requiring long run in times to sound the best so maybe I just need to give it more time.

This is my understanding also, and I think Nelson Pass  mentioned 100 hours or something.

Well I have just done another critical comparison of the Gross using 

1. std supplied 9v plugpack transformer.

2. Kraftwerk M18PSU 12v 4A unit.

3. All Silmic version of the Kraftwerk now with 100+ hours run in on the Silmic's.

With out a doubt the std Kraftwerk unit is clearly the best sounding & not by a small margin.

I did this test first thing in the morning so I was nice & relaxed & focused.

I just thought I would post this so anyone considering a PSU upgrade can be assured that currently my best sounding PSU is the Kraftwerk M18PSU 12v 4A unit.

Note & can also supply it with a 9v output.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Dam! - I will have to work all weekend now.

sure, but now you can put that pool in the backyard too.  ;)

Do you do 24v DC supplies for phono stages? Couldn't find an option on your website. If so, I'm happy to keep you busy. :)

18a7df79f3c6a3db00916c30f28b8f34.jpg

Actually the pool box is ticked - moved house last year & finally scored a pool - Pink Flamingo was extra!

OK 24v PSU - yes I should be able to do that OK.

It would be based on my 15v 2A unit but at 24v  -  cost would be $350

PM me if you want more info.

576857099_IMG_19041.thumb.JPG.464653470b2f1de5cedec42c988e7dc4.JPG

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Muon N' said:

This is my understanding also, and I think Nelson Pass  mentioned 100 hours or something.

I use Silmic 2's in my builds also but have read that while excellent for coupling  duties (where the use of a film cap is impractical ) they are less good in power supplies. Just what I have read over a number of cap reviews not something I have tested.

• Like 2

Guest Muon N'
6 hours ago, Ozcall said:

I use Silmic 2's in my builds also but have read that while excellent for coupling  duties (where the use of a film cap is impractical ) they are less good in power supplies. Just what I have read over a number of cap reviews not something I have tested.

I like them in PS's, but then we all like different things, no real right or wrong when we delve into personal preferences :thumb:

I don't doubt that those who prefer another cap as being right, for them.

I think I'll have to look at one of these Kline lll's for a friend shortly.

Edited by Muon N'
Typo

22 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

I like them in PS's, but then well all like different things, no real right or wrong when we delve into personal preferences :thumb:

I don't doubt that those who prefer another cap as being right, for them.

I think I'll have to look at one of these Kline lll's for a friend shortly.

You're free to try mine Ian? Will have it hooked up this weekend :)

Guest Muon N'
46 minutes ago, MattyW said:

You're free to try mine Ian? Will have it hooked up this weekend :)

Will need one that can be fed by a Cambridge CD-4se.

Thanks all the same, Matt :thumb:

Edit: I still need to check what digital socket it has one It's rear.

Edited by Muon N'

I don't know whether to be happy or upset. My digital content is outperforming my analog,  and for a fraction (1/4) of the cost since installing the Kraftwerk.

The Gross has gained a little body, and added micro detail really adding texture to sounds that I've not heard before.  Sound stage has become far more holographic,  up there with the best I've heard from vinyl with greater depth than before though width is improved also.

Another thing that has really massively improved is the sense of timing and pace. It's really noticeable when music switches between slower and faster paced sections and the change in energy between these segments.  I've never heard anything like it.  Just spectacular.

My analog setup can't replicate this the sense of timing and energy. Maybe after I get my Hashimoto HM-7 SUT.....  I guess I'll see.

IMG_20181201_163526.thumb.jpg.8206d9549258b0f814cae12235e97ca5.jpg

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, MattyW said:

I don't know whether to be happy or upset. My digital content is outperforming my analog,  and for a fraction (1/4) of the cost since installing the Kraftwerk.

The Gross has gained a little body, and added micro detail really adding texture to sounds that I've not heard before.  Sound stage has become far more holographic,  up there with the best I've heard from vinyl with greater depth than before though width is improved also.

Another thing that has really massively improved is the sense of timing and pace. It's really noticeable when music switches between slower and faster paced sections and the change in energy between these segments.  I've never heard anything like it.  Just spectacular.

My analog setup can't replicate this the sense of timing and energy. Maybe after I get my Hashimoto HM-7 SUT.....  I guess I'll see.

IMG_20181201_163526.thumb.jpg.8206d9549258b0f814cae12235e97ca5.jpg

@MattyW

Whats that piece of Schiit doing there ? :P 

• Like 1