Pucking up Vinyl!

My adventure back into vinyl continues........

Received a record puck today, first thing was to test the accessory and see if there is any sonic difference. Played a reference LP (Covered, by Friend & Fellow, track 1).

Amazing! voice is more solid and clean, nuances like breath in vocals and percussion is more pronounced and bass is more forthcoming.

I am interested in others experience with the same.

Guest DarkNark

I am assuming that they lead to belt wear? If the belt is only small diameter, say a Rega P3 for example, and it had to spin up an additional 750 gm does it promote wear? Or is this a non issue? 

My sub platter, platter and leather mat have a mass of 2100 gm. So an additional 750 gm is and an extra 26% load, not including the record. I assume that most wear would happen at startup.

Just thinking out aloud and wondering if it's worth trying ?

Edited by DarkNark

I am assuming that they lead to belt wear? If the belt is only small diameter, say a Rega P3 for example, and it had to spin up an additional 750 gm does it promote wear? Or is this a non issue? 

My sub platter, platter and leather mat have a mass of 2100 gm. So an additional 750 gm is and an extra 26% load, not including the record. I assume that most wear would happen at startup.

Just thinking out aloud and wondering if it's worth trying [emoji4]
It's a question of where the weight sits. In this situation it's in the centre so not providing anywhere near as much inertia as if it was peripheral. Extra load on the belt would be minimal
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, DarkNark said:

The extra load is on the bearing.  The belt is not holding the extra weight, there will be negligible strain on the belt.

The weights are not suitable for sprung turntables. 

1 hour ago, DarkNark said:

At the sake of "belt wear" I would rather the sonic improvements.

Edited by Guzzista
  • Like 1

Guest DarkNark
52 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

It's a question of where the weight sits. In this situation it's in the centre so not providing anywhere near as much inertia as if it was peripheral. Extra load on the belt would be minimal

48 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

The extra load is on the bearing.  The belt is not holding the extra weight, there will be negligible strain on the belt.

Makes sense, I hadn't considered it this way. Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Guzzista said:

At the sake of "belt wear" I would rather the sonic improvements.

?

Would you mind sharing what your turntable and system is?

1 hour ago, audiofeline said:

The extra load is on the bearing.

Which shirley will cause more wear?  :(

1 hour ago, audiofeline said:

Unfortunately not ... unless you change the springs to something stiffer.

Andy

45 minutes ago, DarkNark said:

Makes sense, I hadn't considered it this way. Thanks.

?

Would you mind sharing what your turntable and system is?

Its a Rega P3 with a basic Elys2 cart and a Rega Fono MM stage.

played through a Pass Labs X2.5 pre and Pass Labs X250 pwr amp and Duntech DSM-15 speakers.

IMG_4001.JPG

IMG_4003.JPG

• Like 1

Guest DarkNark
2 hours ago, Guzzista said:

Its a Rega P3 .......

Thanks for the info.

I have just got a P3 myself, I'll have to give this a go. ?

I always used a weight on my Rega deck in conjunction with a Funk Achromat.

Might I suggest that you also try it with the cover completely removed during play, it should just lift out of the hinges.

• Like 2

And what about some brands and models recommendations? I see a few on the Classifieds, but don’t know what to get for a vintage player like mine.
I use one of the Michell clamps on mine Jon, seems to work though I can't say whether theres an audible difference

5 minutes ago, Grizzly said:
42 minutes ago, candyflip said:
And what about some brands and models recommendations? I see a few on the Classifieds, but don’t know what to get for a vintage player like mine.

I use one of the Michell clamps on mine Jon, seems to work though I can't say whether theres an audible difference

Ahhhhh. then is it really 'working' mate?   ?

The Bren 1 is the model I have used (after the Michel which I tried first).  I have had it a good number of years now and purchased it when he was only selling a few on ebay.  The dimensions and weight are virtually those recommended by Rudolf Bruil on his Soundfountain site.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, jeromelang said:

What is the purpose of using a clamp?

People have different reasons. Main one is stability of the record surface. Damping of the record surface. (Energy induced by the stylus tracking). Flattening of the record surface. Clamp plus vacuum helps a lot here.

Remember there is a lot of mechanical interaction in playing an LP and the quietening of everything else including  stylus resonance can be paramount in LP playback.

23 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

People have different reasons. Main one is stability of the record surface. Damping of the record surface. (Energy induced by the stylus tracking). Flattening of the record surface. Clamp plus vacuum helps a lot here.

Remember there is a lot of mechanical interaction in playing an LP and the quietening of everything else including  stylus resonance can be paramount in LP playback.

Mmm, I remember what Graeme Rodwell of The Soundcraftsman said to me many years ago, when I asked him about using a clamp on my LP12 (after having read that there were people who used clamps for precisely the reasons you say, W  :) ).

He said using a clamp will "lower the Q" of the vinyl ... and this is a bad thing - makes it boring (presumably because it constricts the energy in the vinyl?).

Andy

Edited by andyr

2 hours ago, andyr said:

Mmm, I remember what Graeme Rodwell of The Soundcraftsman said to me many years ago, when I asked him about using a clamp on my LP12 (after having read that there were people who used clamps for precisely the reasons you say, W  :) ).

He said using a clamp will "lower the Q" of the vinyl ... and this is a bad thing - makes it boring (presumably because it constricts the energy in the vinyl?).

Andy

Doesnt make sense having energy in the vinyl bro, let the cantilever gather the actual energy. That said, horses for courses. The first thing you ever said to me was that I has Linnade.

I agree, loved my Linn.