Sign in to follow this  
mjledme

Upgrade from Oppo 103 to 105?

Hi veteran audiophiles. I'm thinking whether I should upgrade my oppo 103 to 105 (cannot afford newer models now lol) for its "far better audio circuitry" as proclaimed by many users. However, since I will only use it as cd transport without using the onboard DAC (I'll connect Oppo to Devialet 120 with digital interconnect and use the DAC in Devialet 120), is the upgrade worth it? Hope to hear your opinions. Cheers

I suppose a lot depends on whether the 105's "far better audio circuitry" would make any discernable SQ difference given the fact that you will still be using the DAC in the Devialet 120.

Edited by PeteD

Not for the way you're intending, save your money, IMHO.  Most people go for the 105 for the analogue outs.

A couple of comments from me. I actually have a 93 and a 95. The 93 is in the downstairs TV area, so mainly DVDs, BR etc, not really fussed about squeezing the last bit of audiophile performance out of it. The 95 is in the 2Ch system upstairs and is mainly used for CD and occasional SACD through some pretty high quality ancillary equipment. Interestingly, I feed the 95 digital output to a Luxman DAC, rather than take analogue out of it. I think my DAC actually gives slightly better performance than using the analogue output from the 95. Perhaps the 105 might be better in the DAC department and there may also be a more discernible difference between the 103 and 105, but if you are using the digital output, then that difference won’t materialise. A couple of words of caution. If you play SACD, you can’t get digital out from the 95, just analogue, not sure if the 105 is the same. In that case you would have to use the 5ch analogue outputs, which are supposed to be pretty good anyway. I think the more recent models have more options for digital out.

1 hour ago, mjledme said:

Hi veteran audiophiles. I'm thinking whether I should upgrade my oppo 103 to 105 (cannot afford newer models now lol) for its "far better audio circuitry" as proclaimed by many users. However, since I will only use it as cd transport without using the onboard DAC (I'll connect Oppo to Devialet 120 with digital interconnect and use the DAC in Devialet 120), is the upgrade worth it? Hope to hear your opinions. Cheers

No.

But.

22 minutes ago, mjs said:

If you play SACD, you can’t get digital out from the 95, just analogue, not sure if the 105 is the same. In that case you would have to use the 5ch analogue outputs, which are supposed to be pretty good anyway. I think the more recent models have more options for digital out.

SACD will always only be available as analog out.

I think my 95 was better than my 103 for SACD but only a little.

SACD will always only be available as analog out.
I think my 95 was better than my 103 for SACD but only a little.

Not sure that is correct. Pretty sure you can get digital in some form via HDMI out and that there are various hacks available for extracting the Digital audio from HDMI

3 hours ago, mjs said:

Not sure that is correct. Pretty sure you can get digital in some form via HDMI out and that there are various hacks available for extracting the Digital audio from HDMI

Of course you are correct. HDMI into an AVR that decodes the DSD signal.

I was thinking more SPDID out to a 2 channel DAC won't carry the SACD digital signal.

50 minutes ago, a.dent said:

Of course you are correct. HDMI into an AVR that decodes the DSD signal.

If the AVR can decode DSD, can send DSD through HDMI.  
https://www.oppodigital.com.au/blogs/reviews-resources/13531361-oppo-players-and-the-fabled-dsd-format

6 hours ago, mjledme said:

I'm thinking whether I should upgrade my oppo 103 to 105 (cannot afford newer models now lol) for its "far better audio circuitry" as proclaimed by many users. However, since I will only use it as cd transport without using the onboard DAC (I'll connect Oppo to Devialet 120 with digital interconnect and use the DAC in Devialet 120), is the upgrade worth it?

As a CD transport, I doubt you will hear any difference between the 103 and 105.  The "far better audio circuitry" refers to the DAC and analogue circuitry.  I think it does not apply to digital out

Edited by Snoopy8
Added link, typo

Hi guys thanks for all the inputs! Had a busy day and just read all your plies. In this case I'll just save the money for something else lol

Yeah playiny SACD on a stereo amp without HDMI input is really a PITA. I bought the Oppo to enjoy the supposedly superior DSD format but only to find out that it can only be sent through HDMI. I ended up using a HDMI de-embedder, which can accept the DSD signal from Oppo and converted it into PCM. I cannot feed devialet with native DSD file (even if I can devialet will still do a DoP conversion then) but at least I cannot avoid a D/A A/D conversion...of course for you guys who have a lot of SACDs I think the best solution would be an AVERAGE that supports native DSD format

Not sure whether you realise that the Oppo 103 can be used to rip the SACD (do a search) to DSD?  You can then play the DSD with the Devialet.

Not sure whether you realise that the Oppo 103 can be used to rip the SACD (do a search) to DSD?  You can then play the DSD with the Devialet.
Guess that's before the firmware update? Now it's seems bot possible :(

6 minutes ago, mjledme said:

Guess that's before the firmware update? Now it's seems bot possible :(

As far as I know, it works for all firmware versions? 

As far as I know, it works for all firmware versions? 
Haha will have a look. Thanks mate