giddyup1

Bad pressing ??

Hi everyone 

New to the vinyl game and need some help. I’ve bought a brand new pressing of Led Zep ll (2014 version). After listening to the first 2 tracks, there are some guitar parts that are really quiet compared to the rest of the band, namely JP,s solo on Whole Lotta Love. The next song, What Is and What Should Never Be has the same issue towards the end of the song where JP,s guitar should alternate between the left & right speaker. One guitar part is loud & the other is quiet. Almost like the balance is out. I haven’t listened to the rest of the album yet.

Is this just a bad pressing? I have a Rega Planar 6 with an Exact cart which is new.

Thanks

Mark

It's the pressing.

It's a remaster in a series done of all their albums, and as such, it sounds different to probably every version you've heard before.

Or, if you *really* want to venture down the rabbit hole, there's this:

Thanks for that Candyflip.  Very disappointing actually. I have lV and it sounds pretty good which is why I bought LZ ll. Should’ve done a bit more research 

At least now you know you can trust your ears.  Always good to get confirmation and now you can go ahead with confidence.

I'm not big into Led Zep but I've had III and IV of this series and they don't impress me.

That said I'm usually inclined more toward older pressings, although not exclusively.  I'll give anything mastered by Bernie Grundman a good chance.  In this case it's the Classic Records release which was done a few years ago and costs a lot.

In fact I find this is the trouble with LZ.  The high demand for the good ones has pushed the prices up.  The older more common ones can be hard to find without damage and they were pressed in such numbers that there's plenty of bad sounding ones too.

BTW.  Best to use a thread title that includes the band and album otherwise which "Bad Pressing" are you asking about ?

Edited by eman

Can't go wrong with an original pressing.

20 hours ago, eltech said:

UK Plum ?

...or other 'original' ?

Hows Ramble on sound? I have three different copies of this album (none original) and Ramble on sounds different on each! the acoustic guitar part, the drums and the electric riff slightly in different positions in stereo.

My fav zep album apart from bbc

22 hours ago, eltech said:

Or Japanese.

2 hours ago, eman said:

UK Plum ?

...or other 'original' ?

For clarity, I meant any record that's a first pressing.

4 hours ago, eltech said:

For clarity, I meant any record that's a first pressing.

Personally I find differences between first pressings from different places and they're not all good.

6 hours ago, eman said:

Personally I find differences between first pressings from different places and they're not all good.

Of course. Its a unique item to every tape generation and cutting and pressing equipment.

But I was speaking in a general sense. 

19 hours ago, Andrews_melb said:

Hows Ramble on sound? I have three different copies of this album (none original) and Ramble on sounds different on each! the acoustic guitar part, the drums and the electric riff slightly in different positions in stereo.

My fav zep album apart from bbc

The rest of the album is not too bad. Ramble On sounds fine. 

Some songs are just mixed horribly. Namely the first 2 which spoils the whole record.

The hit and miss of vinyl I guess 

47 minutes ago, giddyup1 said:

The hit and miss of vinyl I guess 

No, it's actually the hit and miss of music reproduction. I can cite many examples of CDs with the same issue.