Yamamoto Headphone Amplifier Group Purchase

I'm assuming you'll be using some sort of dock for this

instead of thru' the headphone out of the Ipod.

Can't wait to have a listen to the Yammy.. if anyone will let me :rolleyes:

cheers

k_[/b]

Yes. With a Dock Connector you get a Line Out and bypass the internal iPod 'amp'. With some quality Mini to RCA jacks it should sound fine.

Until I can find the coin for a decent SACD front end.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wadiaman, From one Wadiamna to another Wadiaman. Is there a chance if I do lots of crawling and grovelling we might persuade you to bring back two pairs of Grado's. Now thinking how many Kilo's of tough nuts to repay favour!!!!!!!! Hmmmm Probably wouldn't fit in your boot. I posted Warwick last night to ask Yamamoto what his preferred can was to partner with our new babies, so I'm waiting to see what response we get from Japan. Cheers Tony C[/b]

Tony,

Ordinarily no problem. But I just did some sums and at USD list, plus NYC tax, and the exchange rate, Audiophiles prices look pretty fine. And we are supporting a local guy. Plus if we go out there, he may have some discs for us also......

Wadiaman, no problem with that, I didn't realise there was an agent out here. Should have done my research first. And Yes, I popped in to Tommy Wong's again yestreday for some more CD's. Can't help myself. Tony C

I posted Warwick last night to ask Yamamoto what his preferred can was to partner with our new babies, so I'm waiting to see what response we get from Japan. Cheers Tony C[/b]

That will be interesting to see what Yamamoto San's answer is.

Some how I am guessing that he used the Audio Technica cans for the testing of the HA 02, ( my guess anyway)

You guessed right Gav.

Yamamoto-San just replied and told me he uses Audio Technica with impedance about 50 ohms.

I suspect that he is the OEM supplier to AT of the cherry and ebony wood parts used in their headphones.

Warwick

You guessed right Gav.

Yamamoto-San just replied and told me he uses Audio Technica with impedance about 50 ohms.

I suspect that he is the OEM supplier to AT of the cherry and ebony wood parts used in their headphones.

Warwick[/b]

Ok thanks for that info,

I notice the price in Aus of the W5000 is $1499 ish , Thex mentioned that you can get them in Japan for $700 this to large a margin to ignore dose one take the chance and buy one for $1000 including shipping & risk having to pay import duty and no warranty .

Ok thanks for that info,

I notice the price in Aus of the W5000 is $1499 ish , Thex mentioned that you can get them in Japan for $700 this to large a margin to ignore dose one take the chance and buy one for $1000 including shipping & risk having to pay import duty and no warranty .[/b]

According to the this page on the customs website, imports with a value of less than $1000 (including shipping) do not incur import duty.

As for lack of warranty ... I suppose that's up to Audio Technica whether they will offer you a local warranty or not. Many internet retailers will offer you their own warranty.

Am I right to assume that there is not much that can really go wrong with headphones (much like speakers), and hence the issue of warranty is not really a concern?

On a side note, my Audio Technica ATH-L3000's arrived today! :biggrin: Sent me totally broke, but should be worth it! Can't wait to get home from work now, the rest of the day is going to go sooooooo slow...

The best price listed on kakaku is 72,000yen.

http://www.kakaku.com/prdsearch/detail.asp...key=20461510708

I've used price japan (pricejapan.com) a few times a couple of years ago to buy digital camera's and the like, they quote a delivered price of 838 AUD.[/b]

Damohpi,

Thanks for the links. Useful info. Just when I thought the Grado RS1s were good value......

Am I right to assume that there is not much that can really go wrong with headphones (much like speakers), and hence the issue of warranty is not really a concern?

On a side note, my Audio Technica ATH-L3000's arrived today! :biggrin: Sent me totally broke, but should be worth it! Can't wait to get home from work now, the rest of the day is going to go sooooooo slow...[/b]

Lucky you wixy!! I've always wanted a pair but could never bring myself to spend the money getting some.

Damohpi,

Thanks for the links. Useful info. Just when I thought the Grado RS1s were good value......[/b]

I compared the W5000 to the RS1 and I strongly preferred the sound of the RS1 (hands down). Don't get me wrong, the W5000 are nice but they are closed cans so comparing them to a pair of RS1s which are open isn't a fair comparison. Their individual sonic signatures are completely different. In my opinion I found the RS1's much better, but obviously you need to compare the two (if the opportunity exists) and make a decision. I'm glad I auditioned them and walked away wanting a pair of RS1's instead. Otherwise I would have ended up owning both! (which isn't a bad thing, but not inline with my current financial situation).

Lucky you wixy!! I've always wanted a pair but could never bring myself to spend the money getting some. You didn't pick them up off the For Sale forums on ocau did you?

I compared the W5000 to the RS1 and I strongly preferred the sound of the RS1 (hands down). Don't get me wrong, the W5000 are nice but they are closed cans so comparing them to a pair of RS1s which are open isn't a fair comparison. Their individual sonic signatures are completely different. In my opinion I found the RS1's much better, but obviously you need to compare the two (if the opportunity exists) and make a decision. I'm glad I auditioned them and walked away wanting a pair of RS1's instead. Otherwise I would have ended up owning both! (which isn't a bad thing, but not inline with my current financial situation).[/b]

Hi THeX,

Forgot to say thanks for your detailed comments and observations several posts ago. Really helpful information.

I haven't tried the A-Ts, but all my cans (except ear canal & noise cancelling types) are open design (Jecklin Float Model Two, Senn 600, Grado SR-60, Koss Porta-Pro) and I am sure that I would be amenable to the Grados style and presentation.

The best price listed on kakaku is 72,000yen.

http://www.kakaku.com/prdsearch/detail.asp...key=20461510708

I've used price japan (pricejapan.com) a few times a couple of years ago to buy digital camera's and the like, they quote a delivered price of 838 AUD.[/b]

I went to Pricepoint as far as I can see you still have to add shipping to that $838 which if you use DHL the most expesive shipping choice they have it comes out at $917, and If as Keith said there is no Duty under a $1000, it is way cheeper than $ 1499 in Australia, thats $582 cheeper :ohmy:

I may be wrong but I could not see were it said including shipping.

Gav,

the AUD 838 price says 'Price to Australia or NZ', using the self quote option...

Roughly calculated price quote is as follows

Shipping Method EMS

Item’s price YEN 72,000

Shipping cost YEN 4,700

Our fee YEN 4,000

YEN Total YEN 80,700

Above YEN amount is equivalent to

Austrailia AUD 815

Hi THeX,

Forgot to say thanks for your detailed comments and observations several posts ago. Really helpful information.

I haven't tried the A-Ts, but all my cans (except ear canal & noise cancelling types) are open design (Jecklin Float Model Two, Senn 600, Grado SR-60, Koss Porta-Pro) and I am sure that I would be amenable to the Grados style and presentation.[/b]

Wadiaman, I will contact Audiophile and ask for stock availability and price as I am keen on the RS1 and based on many comments they seem a good buy. As the guys said we may eventually end up with two sets of cans, plus the AKG Gold monitors I already own. I'll ask the question on a two buy if you like. Tony C

On a side note, my Audio Technica ATH-L3000's arrived today! :biggrin: Sent me totally broke, but should be worth it! Can't wait to get home from work now, the rest of the day is going to go sooooooo slow...[/b]

Any chance of a link to Where you got them thanks , I cant find them.

Any chance of a link to Where you got them thanks , I cant find them.[/b]

I bought them second hand, they are no longer available to buy new (only 500 pairs were made).

I am listening to them right now, and they sound simply AWESOME! The bass is supposed to be the best of any headphone ever produced, and although I haven't listened to many headphones before (most recent cans include AKG701's and AD900's), I can definately see why this claim has been made. It's gonna be a long night!

I love new toys...

I bought them second hand, they are no longer available to buy new (only 500 pairs were made).

I am listening to them right now, and they sound simply AWESOME! The bass is supposed to be the best of any headphone ever produced, and although I haven't listened to many headphones before (most recent cans include AKG701's and AD500's), I can definately see why this claim has been made. It's gonna be a long night!

I love new toys...[/b]

Oh blast,

Lucky you then enjoy them, I wonder why they stopped making them if they are so good.

Gav,

the AUD 838 price says 'Price to Australia or NZ', using the self quote option...

Roughly calculated price quote is as follows

Shipping Method EMS

Item’s price YEN 72,000

Shipping cost YEN 4,700

Our fee YEN 4,000

YEN Total YEN 80,700

Above YEN amount is equivalent to

Austrailia AUD 815[/b]

ok thanks I will take a closer look

Wadiaman, I will contact Audiophile and ask for stock availability and price as I am keen on the RS1 and based on many comments they seem a good buy. As the guys said we may eventually end up with two sets of cans, plus the AKG Gold monitors I already own. I'll ask the question on a two buy if you like. Tony C[/b]

Tony,

Thanks. Let me know how you go.

I am actually up in the city tomorrow morning if that helps.

Great post, Thex!! I hung on to your every word. I am planning to get some cans myself but as far as cans go I have very little clue. In your opinion, what was the difference between the ATH-W1000 and W5000? Did you get to hear them in the same shop with the same source and amps?

Also, Yamamoto guys ... how are you planning to hook your headphone to your source? Run it from the tape loop of your preamp?[/b]

1 choice setup

I will try from the Droplet to the Yamamoto, direct method first as that is what has me a little excited as the Droplet's valves & and the Yamamoto's valves are going to be like a marrige made in heaven ( I hope :angry: ) an all valve setup, I am really excited about this combination I hope hope I'm not expecting to much from this pairing and end up dissapointed :)

2nd choice

Droplet / Pre / Yamamoto

At this stage I'm leaning towards the ATH W5000 (through Pricepoint Japan) as the savings are to large to ignore.

Have been following all this discussion with interest and noting different peoples preferences.

Was very good to get input from TheX who was fortunate enough to be able to do a direct comparison of a number of good quality sets with the same source and amplification on the same day.

For myself, audition prospects are limited and likely to remain so, like Gav, being a "stranger in a strange" land, I will have to make do with the best I can make of others opinions and experiences.

Having recently been also looking at headphone amps, what I have noted in all the reviews and opinions I have read, is a tendency for many headphones to shine with particular amplifiers and vice versa - eg synergy.

Mr 6moons commented that he did not know how good the W1000 were until he used them with the Yamamoto amp.

In another review, a confirmed Sennheiser user who really loves his HD650s, fell in love with a pair of AKGs after changing (upgrading) his amplifier.

Yet another, non headphone user, preferred the HD250 to the HD650 until the 650s were given appropriate amplification, when he promptly decided to add both the amp and 650s to his arsenal.

Many do not seem to like the AKG 701 and yet users of particular amplifiers swear by them.

Have found the HA-02 thread on Headfi very good in this respect, since at least all these users are using (or intending :angry: ) to use the same amplification.

Wixy, good score, suppose this means the other speaker is on the back burner for a week or two while you blow your ears off with your new toy. :biggrin:

What are you driving them with ( the L3000s)?

I suppose the other thing you should note is that people with different musical preferences choose to go down different routes :angry: As for me i'm still hoping that TheX will say more about what he liked or disliked about the various headphones he heard. Makes you wish we had our own Akihabara doesn't it.

Wixy, good score, suppose this means the other speaker is on the back burner for a week or two while you blow your ears off with your new toy. :biggrin:

What are you driving them with ( the L3000s)?[/b]

Still working up the motivation to start work on the second speaker :biggrin:

L3000's are being driven by just a Zhaolu D2 dac with discrete headamp. Sadly, might need to sell them already :angry: and go back to the AKG701's due to my partner finding out I bought them and reminding me of other debts that need to be paid, which I momentarily forgot about when I had the opportunity to buy L3000's :biggrin:

At least I got to experience one of the best headphones money can buy!

Tony,

Thanks. Let me know how you go.

I am actually up in the city tomorrow morning if that helps.[/b]

Sorry Wadiaman I have only just read your post. Will follow it up next week. I may be in the area on Tuesday. Seems Wixy may have a set of L3000's for sale. Keep you posted.(pardon the pun) Tony C