First Watt M2x build - anyone tried this?

Batty

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/321925-diyaudio-watt-m2x.html

Just bought the PCBs for this and the power supply. $70 US.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried it or even heard the Pass Labs M2 (this is an authorised clone).

I have built the WHAMMY headphone amp which I plan to use as the pre for this, alternately I have a Meridian 101 pre.

I'm not going to rush this, planning buying a few bits here and there each month to spread the cost.

• Like 1

Steve,

I have the Tea Bag version of the M2 and am Very Happy with the amp, I'm using Linear Systems JFETs and dual Mono power supply.

Marks Version has the different daughter boards for the front end many more choices to try.

Happy Building!!

Regards   Steve.

I got the email yesterday 

As @kranky I also have the Teabag version and love it 

However I will purchase the boards and work my way slowly to populating the boards with the required components 

Some components for the original Pass design are hard to source 

The case alone is $339 US ?

The transformers are made to order and work out about $8 each plus $56 US delivery.

I think this will work out around the $1k mark.

Edited by Batty

@Batty  I used the large 5U deluxe case, and cost about that 

But you need to factor in the exchange rate + GST 

So that amount almost doubles 

While you are at it get the rear panel connector set from them 

However just about all of the components used in my M2 build were military spec or higher audio quality 

And that bumped the price up as well

The rewards are in the sound  the amp delivered - very nice and well matched to my speakers 

Steve,

Have you looked at making your own amp case.

2x Conrad heat sinks MF35 - 151 from Melbourne 

2x Ally sheets 375mm x 310mm x 3mm

2x 20mm timber for front and back panel 151mm x 390mm

All up around $200 AU including RCA sockets , power switch mains input , speaker terminals plus your time.

I have made several amps using this method. M2 , F6 , MOFO , AKSA Alpha 20.  Just another option.

Regards   Steve.

2 - 1 (48).jpg

2 - 1 (49).jpg

• Like 4

Steve,

I buy the heat sinks from Conrad Heatsinks in Melbourne and are cast in Melbourne ( They also cast pulleys )

The top cover is security screen which is around $100 for a 620 x 2100 sheet , my local glazier got this in for me and still have enough to make quite a few more amps.

The base is a piece of 3mm ally sheet with 10mm holes drilled underneath for air circulation, I did find a leftover piece of ally sheet with 15mm holes punched in it at the local sheet metal fabrication place for $50 enough to make half a dozen bases.

RCA jacks are Neutrik from Mouser $7 each (screw mount)

AC inlets with fuse holder and switch i purchased from RS online $10 each.

Speaker posts from Alliexpress  $1 each pair.

For the front and back cover i use what ever scrap timber i have on hand in the picture the timber is Tasmanian Myrtle recycled but a strip of plywood also works.

And your time to drill and tap holes , not as professional looking as a purchased case but  Still works out a lot cheaper than purchasing a case and you can build more amps.

Regards   Steve.

• Like 2

I was going to go with the Conrad heatsinks myself, but I have the equipment & experience to drill and thread tap the heatsinks  

But time and work commitments was a factor and I went with the deluxe pre drilled chassis from the DIY store ( be aware that the chassis ships from Italy ) 

Another reason for the deluxe pre drilled choice is that all First Watt PCB kits are based on that mounting configuration 

Any amp from the first to the last design can be bolted on without any issues 

• 3 weeks later...

Just ordered a long list of parts for the build, went with the DIYAudio case after all as I couldn't be bothered drilling and tapping.

Some parts are on back order from Mouser and some parts are due delivery at the end of Jan next year.

I was going to do this over the period of a year but in all honesty knew I would just order all the parts once the PCBs turned up and I got the itch.

Now the only thing I have not got is quality hook-up wire, infact I have no wire. Where and what do all you DIYers use?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Batty said:

Now the only thing I have not got is quality hook-up wire, infact I have no wire. Where and what do all you DIYers use?

Just good quality 12 gauge stiff copper wire that can hold its shape when twisted is best 

There is a formula on how many twists per inch are needed for best results if you search 

Edit - I recall it was 4 twists / turns of the pos / neg wires per inch 

Edited by Full Range
  • Like 1

I'll try to remember to take build pics.

The case is on it's way from Italy, due here on the 12th Dec, unfortunately some parts are on back order until the end of January.

1st pic, the parts... so far.

485155804_Build1.thumb.JPG.c57772f9967e5ea65560ebdedcab3764.JPG

Edited by Batty
  • Like 4

5 hours later...

AMP2.thumb.JPG.c18d6e1ac75b0414186ff62eddf419c3.JPG

Still waiting on some parts to arrive, 2 of the 5 buffers, both amps and the PSU started.

Toroidal transformer en route too.

Getting there.

Edited by Batty
  • Like 3