Kickass passive soundbars

Guest thathifiguy

With any of them I dare say you will require a subwoofer.

When I was considering these, I was thinking of the GoldenEar 3D Array, PSB Imagine W3 and the Martin Logan SLM-X3.

I never ended up going down that path though.

Passive Sound bars will struggle to compete with floorstanders in a large room but if you have smaller room they can just as good if the subwoofer is set up correctly.

Goldenear is v good but even better is the suoersat super centre system. To this day still the most involving HT system I've ever heard in a small room and I used to sell HT systems for a living. Paired with REL subs and a Pioneer SCLX55 amp! The amp was the weak point in the system.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Andre28 said:

Oh yeah will definitely be paired with a subwoofer. Looking at the Vaf Platform sub, with a platform shelf that this will sit on.

I haven't got any suggestions as far as soundbars as all the ones I've heard are absolutely awful..... ?

However considering you are looking at VAF for a sub you should check out their Sound Wall.

Not a soundbar per se but their sound quality is actually pretty impressive and would easily compete with many $1500 floorstanders so may be a good option.

https://vaf.com.au/pages/soundwall

Thanks will have a look. The problem I am finding with soundbars is that they are all made so thin for aesthetic reasons. I wouldn't mind having one of solid depth as it will be sitting on its own "shelf", rather than in front on a TV or whatever.

The Goldenear Supercinema 3d speakers have inbuilt cross talk cancellation to improve separation between right and left channels. It works very effectively. Having 3 centre channels so close would have a very confined sonic image and may be quite muddled. I suspect (although I don't have any direct experience of this) that they would be quite difficult to integrate with the rears to give a really seamless surround sound experience.

Having them upright if you can, will work much better, improving separation as the sound will be coming from a vertical and narrower point source, increasing sound stage height and presenting a wider and more focused sound stage.

• Like 1