NKMA

Speaker Recommendation

I don't think I've heard a better sounding speaker than the PMC's EXCEPT @Cafad's Lenehan's. Not sure which model they were however probably the nicest sound I've heard. They were big standmounts but Mike does make a floorstander. Might be hard to find second hand. So PMC or Lenehan would be on my list.

Edited by blakey72

I don't think I've heard a better sounding speaker than the PMC's EXCEPT [mention=130663]Cafad[/mention]'s Lenehan's. Not sure which model they were however probably the nicest sound I've heard. They were big standmounts but Mike does make a floorstander. Might be hard to find second hand. So PMC or Lenehan would be on my list.

Thanks@blakey72. PMCs have been recommended the most followed by some local options.. so keeping it as an option in my search.

Some can be found. In this case, Legend are in Nowra, which is on the train system. Also two dealers in the metropolitan Sydney region.
http://www.legendspeakers.com.au/

There are a number of suitable speakers in the Legend range, if you want to consider Australian.

I believe the Axis Voicebox (or its successor?) is still available from Len Wallis. (I'm not sure where that is manufactured though). They also have a new Duntech model, though over twice the price the OP quoted and not suitable for the room either.

Orpheus are still in business in Lugarno, and I believe without looking that there are two or three other Sydney manufacturers still out there.

Hard, yes, but not impossible. In the case of Legend, at least, definitely worthwhile.

Thanks @Eggcup The Daft. Nowra would be a bit of a trek but certainly doable, may be in December. Thanks for the suggestions and the room size is the only fixed in my search, so anything of great quality is what I’m after.

@audio_file

Dont worry, I've seriously thought about that, trouble is the missus hates black and another set of speakers

would set her right off. 

12 minutes ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

@maximus it has to be said, you have certainly tried a fair number of speakers in your time!  Nice to see a near-end-game speaker recommendation from your experience.

Hi Murray, you said it, 'near- end- game', ha,ha....lol

On 07/11/2018 at 6:17 PM, NKMA said:

Hi All

Looking for some advise on floor standers for a smallish room 4.2m x 3.4m. Maximum of 2.2m space between the speakers themselves is possible.  I will have to keep them close to the wall so, there will not be a lot of room behind them.

In addition, my listening position is 1.5 to 2m from the speakers. Keeping this into consideration, please can you suggest a few floor standers.  I understand that speakers are a personal preference, but keen to get an idea of a few options given my limitations.

Having read through the forums, i see floor-standers have a better sound stage in comparison to the book shelf speakers.  While I am happy with the existing bookshelves... as others, looking for something better..!

I'm looking at second hand only as i know this wont be my forever speakers, so happy with pre-loved speakers. 

Looking at a budget of up to $7k

I use a Luxman 507ux Integrated amp and not looking at changing it. Currently I use Opera Prima book shelf speakers with SW515 Yamaha sub woofer. 

Thank you

I have a second hi fi room of exactly that size and it  is speaker fussy.I use Yamaha NS75Ts in there which sound superb in that space but they are really monitor type sealed box speakers so that makes sense.

I would strongly recommend avoiding ported or transmission line speakers.

The Opera Seconda suggestion is a good one.Other than that maybe the Legends or a pair of ATC SCM 40s or 35s.All sealed.

21 hours ago, THOMO said:

I have a second hi fi room of exactly that size and it  is speaker fussy.I use Yamaha NS75Ts in there which sound superb in that space but they are really monitor type sealed box speakers so that makes sense.

I would strongly recommend avoiding ported or transmission line speakers.

The Opera Seconda suggestion is a good one.Other than that maybe the Legends or a pair of ATC SCM 40s or 35s.All sealed.

Thanks @THOMO for the suggestions. When you say avoid Transmission line speakers, does that mean, avoid PMCs as well?

@NKMA i have listened to  GoldenEar Trition 7 speakers in a smaller room than you describe, with what i would consider a cheap Emotiva amp, super impressed, if possible give these an audition, around the 3k mark, your Luxman amp would make these speakers sing sweetly, further up the range all have built in amps for the bass, these do not

21 minutes ago, wen said:

@NKMA i have listened to  GoldenEar Trition 7 speakers in a smaller room than you describe, with what i would consider a cheap Emotiva amp, super impressed, if possible give these an audition, around the 3k mark, your Luxman amp would make these speakers sing sweetly, further up the range all have built in amps for the bass, these do not

Just had a read through and it has some fantastic reviews. Let me look into it. Thanks Wen

14 hours ago, NKMA said:

Thanks @THOMO for the suggestions. When you say avoid Transmission line speakers, does that mean, avoid PMCs as well?

Yes.I tried transmission lines in that room and bass was overblown.

You actually need speakers that need a bit of room gain to extend bass whereas most ported and TL speakers use that method to boost bass extension so you get too much in that sized room.Stuffing the ports does not really solve the problem because even if the drivers will work well in a sealed box the box volume is typically much larger for ported than sealed so the box volume is wrong for that loading.

55 minutes ago, THOMO said:

Yes.I tried transmission lines in that room and bass was overblown.

You actually need speakers that need a bit of room gain to extend bass whereas most ported and TL speakers use that method to boost bass extension so you get too much in that sized room.Stuffing the ports does not really solve the problem because even if the drivers will work well in a sealed box the box volume is typically much larger for ported than sealed so the box volume is wrong for that loading.

I wouldn't avoid all transmission lines, the design can be different between models.

I find the PMC Twenty.22 really needs to be close to a wall to reinforce bass power for example.