Speaker Recommendation

Hi All

Looking for some advise on floor standers for a smallish room 4.2m x 3.4m. Maximum of 2.2m space between the speakers themselves is possible.  I will have to keep them close to the wall so, there will not be a lot of room behind them.

In addition, my listening position is 1.5 to 2m from the speakers. Keeping this into consideration, please can you suggest a few floor standers.  I understand that speakers are a personal preference, but keen to get an idea of a few options given my limitations.

Having read through the forums, i see floor-standers have a better sound stage in comparison to the book shelf speakers.  While I am happy with the existing bookshelves... as others, looking for something better..!

I'm looking at second hand only as i know this wont be my forever speakers, so happy with pre-loved speakers. 

Looking at a budget of up to $7k

I use a Luxman 507ux Integrated amp and not looking at changing it. Currently I use Opera Prima book shelf speakers with SW515 Yamaha sub woofer. 

Thank you

The Opera Seconda at $4500 rrp are quite nice, sealed two and half way crossover design using quality Scanspeak tweeters and woofers in sealed, leatherette cabinet.

Very detailed tweeter, good minds and imaging and decent bass.

There are also used B&W 803D in the SNA classified and Gumtree for $7-8k new value $20k.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Al.M said:

The Opera Seconda at $4500 rrp are quite nice, sealed two and half way crossover design using quality Scanspeak tweeters and woofers in sealed, leatherette cabinet.

Very detailed tweeter, good minds and imaging and decent bass.

There are also used B&W 803D in the SNA classified and Gumtree for $7-8k new value $20k.

Thanks @Al.M. I will look into both.

On 07/11/2018 at 9:17 PM, NKMA said:

Having read through the forums, i see floor-standers have a better sound stage in comparison to the book shelf speakers.  While I am happy with the existing bookshelves... as others, looking for something better..!

The soundstage you are getting in that room will be more dictated by your room size and speaker placement rather than the speakers themselves.

Edited by rogersquared
  • Thanks 1

Yes you should probably ignore dynaudio because of the rear ports but based on your room size bookshelves are more suitable unless the room has accoustic treatment. The soundstage you are getting in that room will be more dictated by your room size and speaker placement rather than the speakers themselves.

Hmmm.. my current bookshelves are 30-40 cm away from the wall. Slightly facing inwards and I listen from 1.5-2 m away. You think the existing ones itself will shound good if I move around the speakers?

3 hours ago, NKMA said:

Hmmm.. my current bookshelves are 30-40 cm away from the wall. Slightly facing inwards and I listen from 1.5-2 m away. You think the existing ones itself will shound good if I move around the speakers?

Certainly try some different placement and different toe in. If it does not help, I personally would be looking at sealed bookshelves like ATC SCM11 or Harbeth p3.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rogersquared said:

Certainly try some different placement and different toe in. If it does not help, I personally would be looking at sealed bookshelves like ATC SCM11 or Harbeth p3.

Agreed - ATCs, Harbeths, or the (equally good and value proposition) Legend Kurre 9s, would be the right choice in my opinion. In a room your size any floorstander (even thin cigar types) will overwhelm.

Edited by was_a
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, was_a said:

Agreed - ATCs, Harbeths, or the (equally good and value proposition) Legend Kurre 9s, would be the right choice in my opinion. In a room your size any floorstander (even thin cigar types) will overwhelm.

Legend Kurre - great recommendation. I was trying to think of an Aussie sealed design.

There is also the Huglich Audio Serenade which is front ported.

Edited by rogersquared
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, was_a said:

Thanks for the suggestions and will certainly look at the ATCs, Harbeths and Legend Kurres. 

In regards to your comment on floorstanders being overpowering, would this happen even at mid volumes, as i haven't had my volume knob past 45%.

4 hours ago, rogersquared said:

Legend Kurre - great recommendation. I was trying to think of an Aussie sealed design.

There is also the Huglich Audio Serenade which is front ported.

Thanks @rogersquared . Havent heard of the Huglich before. Will google them.

From overseas second hand floorstanders for your room size with high sound quality I would go with PMC twenty.23 or twenty5.23. Saying that, at hifi show I was very impressed with Australian made bookshelf speakers.

• Thanks 1

From overseas second hand floorstanders for your room size with high sound quality I would go with PMC twenty.23 or twenty5.23. Saying that, at hifi show I was very impressed with Australian made bookshelf speakers.

Thanks@Irek. There are some PMCs for sale in the classifieds already. Will have to demo them. Having not heard the local speakers, where in Sydney can I demo them?

HI NKMA,

Many a good speaker mentioned here, but one I think might surprise is the Proac DT8, roughly 5-6k. 

I heard these at Clef in Melbourne and was very surprised at they're sheer musicality, fine all round speakers,

down firing as well, so great for room placement.

Apart from the Proac's, make sure you audition the PMC 25.26's. They are a very special speaker indeed and I personally know audiophiles that own very expensive speakers that have heard them and were gobsmacked after an audition.

The pair for sale for 8.5k should be on your radar.

I'm peed off as I've already purchased a pair of 25.24's before these came up. 

• Thanks 1

If you want to have floor standers in that room, I'd consider PMC Twenty5.23 and Spendor A7, maybe also Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE.

In my experience stand mounts have better sound stage, accuracy, and faster bass, while floor standers have better dynamics, power,  and lower bass extension. There are exceptions though.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, audio_file said:

If you want to have floor standers in that room, Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE.

Hi @NKMA

Having had a set of these, with a 60w/channel Tube amp in a slightly longer room (5m) to me they sound excellent.

JJ

• Like 2

Guest Eggcup The Daft
On 10/11/2018 at 6:24 PM, Irek said:

It's quite hard to audition Australian speakers in Sydney. 

Some can be found. In this case, Legend are in Nowra, which is on the train system. Also two dealers in the metropolitan Sydney region.

http://www.legendspeakers.com.au/

There are a number of suitable speakers in the Legend range, if you want to consider Australian.

I believe the Axis Voicebox (or its successor?) is still available from Len Wallis. (I'm not sure where that is manufactured though). They also have a new Duntech model, though over twice the price the OP quoted and not suitable for the room either.

Orpheus are still in business in Lugarno, and I believe without looking that there are two or three other Sydney manufacturers still out there.

Hard, yes, but not impossible. In the case of Legend, at least, definitely worthwhile.

HI NKMA,

Many a good speaker mentioned here, but one I think might surprise is the Proac DT8, roughly 5-6k. 
I heard these at Clef in Melbourne and was very surprised at they're sheer musicality, fine all round speakers,
down firing as well, so great for room placement.
Apart from the Proac's, make sure you audition the PMC 25.26's. They are a very special speaker indeed and I personally know audiophiles that own very expensive speakers that have heard them and were gobsmacked after an audition.
The pair for sale for 8.5k should be on your radar.
I'm peed off as I've already purchased a pair of 25.24's before these came up. 
Ask the OP if he/she would like to buy your 24s, then you can buy those 26s.