Roon Core Suggestions

2 hours ago, Demondes said:

I use a Synology DS918+ to run Roon.  I have approx 300000 tracks and also Qobuz inputting music into the Library.

The key factor for me on the Synology was adequate RAM (8gb min), note any Celeron CPU upwards is fine).

i did also install a pair M2 SSD drives to act as a read/write cache that ensures no lag.

but RAM is the biggest bang for buck.   Unofficially Synology NAS can take 16GB but officially maxed at 8gb

Yep - I/O performance is key for the database and library side of things. Plenty of RAM and an SSD will do wonders. A modern CPU should not be stressed at all by this - as @rockford said they barely break a sweat. You do however need CPU grunt for upsampling, EQ filtering.

Well I decided to pull out an old Toshiba i7-2630qm laptop with 6gb of RAM.

After a heap of messing around with an overheating battery, Windows updates and getting a Roon backup sorted, it is now running quite well even with some upsampling DSP (about 20% CPU usage). It is a little slower than my main laptop but still very nice to use. It is also a lot quieter, I won't mind leaving it on and I can leave it near my main router away from the system.

The laptop could use a full format as I think last time I used it I only did a fresh Windows 7 install and it is a little slow for a while after boot up but once running it is fine. Maybe a job for another day.

Maybe when this dies I will revisit a NUC or similar but this will do for now I think.