Juicester

Roon Core Suggestions

7 hours ago, a.dent said:

Me too.

I have an i7 NUC. it works fine to DSD 256 on Roon but HQ Player really needs a huge amount of processing power and I can't get more than DSD 128.

I've gone back to my Mac mini so the i7 NUC will get listed here when I get around to it. @Juicester are you interested?

Is there anyone here who has upscale to DSD 512 without issue? What did you use?

1 hour ago, Mike13 said:

Is there anyone here who has upscale to DSD 512 without issue? What did you use?

@Raffinator does everything in DSD 512

9 hours ago, a.dent said:

Me too.

I have an i7 NUC. it works fine to DSD 256 on Roon but HQ Player really needs a huge amount of processing power and I can't get more than DSD 128.

I've gone back to my Mac mini so the i7 NUC will get listed here when I get around to it. @Juicester are you interested?

Are you doing convolution or crossovers in hq player? 

Just wondering why it needs so much grunt?

[mention=151547]Raffinator[/mention] does everything in DSD 512

I try to. And mostly succeed, but will occasionally get interruptions and pauses, with Roon app saying slow performance or network issue.

I will be replacing my Mac Mini soon, but not sure if 2018 Mini or Nucleus+

2 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Are you doing convolution or crossovers in hq player? 

No, just conversion to DSD. I'm not sure why the i7 has trouble with HQ Player but no trouble with Roon. Obviously HQ Player is a more complex conversion process.

My i5 Mac is not as good as the i7 NUC though so I've given up on converting in software. I'll leave that up to my DAC.

When you guys use HQ player, is it still sending to a Roon end point or simply to a DAC as a separate signal?

EDIT, found the answer myself, HQplayer cannot send to Roon End point, so not an option for my set up.

Edited by blybo

5 hours ago, blybo said:

When you guys use HQ player, is it still sending to a Roon end point or simply to a DAC as a separate signal?

EDIT, found the answer myself, HQplayer cannot send to Roon End point, so not an option for my set up.

You can still stream HQ Player to an end point but you use NAA on the renderer.

It's just easier to send Roon to HQ Player on your server then to the Roon end point.

10 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

The settings chosen in HQPlayer can have a large impact.

23 hours ago, a.dent said:

No, just conversion to DSD. I'm not sure why the i7 has trouble with HQ Player but no trouble with Roon. Obviously HQ Player is a more complex conversion process.

My i5 Mac is not as good as the i7 NUC though so I've given up on converting in software. I'll leave that up to my DAC.

i'd be interested if the i7 NUC can handle dsd 512 conversion sent straight to a roon end point (MSB Renderer MK2).

C

37 minutes ago, Juicester said:

i'd be interested if the i7 NUC can handle dsd 512 conversion sent straight to a roon end point (MSB Renderer MK2).

C

Me too. Let’s start a bidding war. 

38 minutes ago, Juicester said:

C

It's hard to know. I can't test it. My DAC won't accept native DSD so I have to use DoP with a max sample rate of DSD 128. There's no problem with the NUC doing that of course.

37 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

Me too. Let’s start a bidding war. 

Kidding. Looks like my 2Qute only does DSD128. 

“The high definition (HD) USB input is the highest quality method of digital playback with galvanic isolation. This input is asynchronous and uses 2Qute’s own highly accurate clock circuit. This input will support 384kHz PCM/DXD and also DSD64 and DSD128 in DoP format. This input supports 44.1kHz - 384kHz operation.”

Is there a relationship between DSD and kHz?

@Snoopy8 does the SMS-200 itself limit DSD?

Edited by Mike13

28 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

Kidding. Looks like my 2Qute only does DSD128. 

“The high definition (HD) USB input is the highest quality method of digital playback with galvanic isolation. This input is asynchronous and uses 2Qute’s own highly accurate clock circuit. This input will support 384kHz PCM/DXD and also DSD64 and DSD128 in DoP format. This input supports 44.1kHz - 384kHz operation.”

Is there a relationship between DSD and kHz?

to be honest I don't know if my DAC supports 512 either given MSB calls it something else (like DSD x4 or x8 or whatever). I'm just guessing it will work. How can you go wrong with guessing?! ;)

1 hour ago, Mike13 said:

I have tested DSD256. Do not have DSD 512 material but I suspect it will work. Limitation is more likely on DAC.