Aries Mini Help Needed

Hi All, Okay, I am trying to set up my Aries Mini, I am about halfway through the setup, it keeps asking and looking for a dlna/server, I don’t have one, the only internet I have is 100g on my iPhone 8 Plus, monthly, so I have plenty to spare, I bought this Aries mini, after reading about it, a few reviews stated that you can insert a ssd into the Unit, which I have done, download the lightning app, which I have done, load up your music onto the said ssd and you can access library with app on phone, with no need for streaming or going wireless at all, which is starting to appear false and I may now have to sell this on, as it appears not to be fit for my purpose, which is to not have to buy extra bits for it to work, I am not interested in having extra bits, I want it simple and hard wired, all on the one device, if there is no work around, then which device will give me what I want ? a Apple Mini ? Help needed. Thanks 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this case, either a local ethernet or wifi network, like the kind of thing your iphone will broadcast if you turn on "Personal Hotspot"

(That is, distinct from internet access.)

Edited by sakabatou
typo

Unfortunately you need 2 devices - one to provide a wifi hotspot (this could be android or iOS) and a different iOS device (connected to that hotspot) to run the Lightning DS app.

And you would need this setup to run it in the future too.

It might not be the right thing for you.

Hi Sakabatou, Okay, maybe I should look into what I need as a minimum amount of devices for my Aries Mini, can you tell me exactly what I need to finish setup and using the data/internet on my iPhone to do so, would I need something like Apple Air ? I’m new to all of this, so bare with me 

The only piece you're missing is something that will generate a wifi network.

That could be as simple as a wireless router (it doesn't need to be connected to the internet).

You would then join both your iphone and the Aries to the same network, and then it should work.

If the router isn't connected to the internet, it could be very annoying though, as iphones are a bit stupid and are slow (or won't) failover to sim if they have a strong wireless signal but can't access the internet over wifi.

Hi, Thanks guys, Okay, Sakabatou, I understand what you are saying about the router situation, but, and I have to ask, what does a router have that my iPhone and/or laptop don’t have in order to link everything together ? I just need to know this stuff, so I can have it fit into my mind. Thanks 

In truth, not much.

The Aries needs to join a wifi (or ethernet)  network and the iOS device need to be connected to that network and be running Lightning DS.

An iphone can generate a wifi network that the Aries can join to, but Lightning DS won't see it, as it only searches via wifi, and the iphone isn't connected to a external wifi network that it can see.

So all you need is something that isn't your Lightning iOS device to generate the wifi network, eg 2nd phone, a tablet, or a wifi router

Hi Guys, Okay, I have a Telstra device which is active for the landline only, it is not active for internet, can I use it to connect to the Aries Mini ? is it both a router and a modem ? if it is only a router, is that a issue ? or would buying a Apple Airport Express the way to go ? and if so, which one ? I do like the looks of the Apple Airport Extreme, on another note, is there a two channel amp the ability to store music files for playback ? Thanks.

clLzL6AbQ5GJ+6TfQcl1Tg.jpg

Edited by Digital Man