Surround sound music upgrade

Hi I have a fair amount of surround sound music thats been gifted to me. I have a two channel system and a rudimentary av surround system. Is it worth upgrading my surround system. Do the rear speakers need to match the front or is the sound in the rear only ambient sound. I have most of the multi channel music in 2 channel and at the moment thats how I listen music. Am I missing out.

Hi, if you want to achieve similar sound quality on multi channel as on stereo system than the AVR+ speakers need to match the stereo system. In other words it's quite expensive . Even with the same speakers my AVR $1500 cannot get even close to my integrated amp $3000 so I listen everything on a stereo system. With unlimited budget it would be a different story. 

13 hours ago, JD1 said:

. Am I missing out.

That depends a lot on what your wanting to listen too, for instance, if you watch a lot of TV or play movies via a bluray player, PVR, or set top box, then yes your likely are missing out on a lot of sound action, Live sports like say the F1 racing sound great when heard in say 7:1 compared to stereo, but its your choice and like you know it does cost more. Matching speaker brands for all your speakers is a common way to go to ensure compatibility of many variables, but many find nirvana with mixed set-ups. Play with what you've got and use a good sound calibration program to allow for auto tuning your room to the chossen speakers for a start, you may be sitting on just what you need and not know it. Good luck.