Sign in to follow this  
Luc

Cricket season 2018/19

Australians  are slowly waking up that we've lost our free to air cricket broadcasts.

ODI series started an hour ago against South Africa in Perth and you need to pay Rupert to watch it.

Big Bash League is the same, pay Foxtel.

International T20? Yup pay Rupert. This from a report on the ABC at the moment:

Sunday will be a history-making day for Australian cricket.

For the first time ever, a one day international won't be shown on free-to-air TV in Australia, and there are predictions cricket fans will be angry.

"I think they're going to be furious, and the impact of that is you're going to lose more followers from the game," Brett Geeves, a former Australian and Sheffield Shield player, said.

Sunday's game is the first of 10 one-day and T20 internationals that will be shown exclusively on Fox Sports, and you can add to that 16 Big Bash games that you won't be able to watch on Channel 7.

So there you have it we're in a similar  position that the Poms have been in since 2005 when SKY bought the rights to all cricket. Luckily 7 has the rights to the Test series against India where we will be whacked from pillar to post by the world's number one side I'd imagine and India will win it's first series Downunder and one of their few series wins away from India.

I'd like to be proven wrong but we certainly have the worst and the weakest cricket sides in all forms that I've ever seen. Two men of the three that were caught cheating would make a difference but the cupboard is pretty empty in Australian FC cricket.

CA has overseen the erosion of the Australian Test squads nursery...the Sheffield Shield. James Sutherland in his 17 years at the helm had managed to kill the game via his management procedures and the corporatisation of the organisation and the affects are being seen now.

The slim hope that the Big Bash League would enthuse the youngsters, the kids of Australia to take up cricket and from that we'd see our future greats come through ect ect, well that's pretty much gone now that it's behind a paywall. The ODI as a format has been dying for some time and it'll go  in further into it's death throes because honestly, would you pay good coin to watch it on TV?

So our summer of cricket is a much reduced one if your cricket is watched  on the couch but...thanks to the power of the Indian grip on world cricket we can all watch it on the sly for free. I wont link you to it but google will help you to watch Gilchrist/Warne/Graham Smith/the lady commentator to talk about our side as they get flogged.

As of now we are 40-5 in the 18th over so your not missing anything to be honest. We continue to be absolute rabbits for South Africa.

Thank you Warner, Smith, Bancroft and all the other people involved in our cheating culture for ruining the game for the many many many cricket tragics around Australia.

*The Skull is on!  Almost worth the $55 on top of your Foxtel subscription to get this...almost, but remember you get the nasally Warne as well and I'd pay not to listen to him, plonker.

Just watching this match it's like watching grade cricketers against real first class players, absolute shambles.

So lets hope my doom and gloom is proved wrong and we can be at least competitive over the summer season.

I don’t like cricket but you should get a job with the SMH

107-8, 31st over.

Awful stuff.

...and so it proved. SA go one up.

I didn't even know until I tried looking at the TV guide for start times that Poxtel had pinched it , just like most of the V8 supercars this year.

No way am I paying $68 bucks a month for there sports package.

I went out yesterday arvo, but not before we were 2/5 in 3 overs. And I've never seen such a small crowd in Oz for an ODI. CA would be worried by that more than the result I'd suggest. You'd get way more fans down to the Junction Oval for a Shield final.

Why don't we just cancel ODI's now as a concept and be done with it.

Edited by blybo

5 hours ago, blybo said:

Why don't we just cancel ODI's now as a concept and be done with it.

Neil I think you could be right. But I don't think CA would be worried by the lack of a crowd because...they sold the rights away for a swag of bucks.

The disconnect between CA and the public and the disconnect between the players and the viewing public is ongoing and nothing that is done or said seems to be able to fix this problem.

Tubby Taylor has resigned today and that's good and now if we can get the rest of the board to fall on their swords that would be even better. The Argus review did bugger all to change the Australian teams culture or CA's and the latest Longstaff review seems to b e going the same way at this moment.

There's also the other review implemented by CA, the player review overseen by old faulty jaw himself Rick McCosker.

:

It  features a panel of past and present players to canvass views and subsequently draft a charter of behaviour for future men's teams.

The panel includes national captains Tim Paine and Rachel Haynes (while Meg Lanning was injured), experienced Australia representatives Shane Watson and George Bailey, current fast bowler Pat Cummins and Lehmann's replacement as men's team coach, Justin Langer.

I've lifted that last bit from C.com.au.

There is a list of recommendations and they are pretty facile and warm&cuddly...so utter tosh.

But one stood out and it is this one:- 

In addition, the aim of the review was to ensure fans can re-engage with Australia's men's team with a specific goal of enabling children and adults to be proud of national outfits and players while also enjoying the on-field entertainment and results they bring.

Good luck with that then if yesterdays match was an indication of crowd support and also via the paywall...'re-engagement' for the kiddies and adults.

So onto the next game which is on...

@Luc While the crowd was disappointing, it was actually bigger than the WACA could have held. Case of a reasonable crowd lost in a big stadium. We see the same at the MCG, although magnified further.

As far as ratings go.... Courtesy of The Age:

Sunday's coverage of the first One Day International (ODI) in Perth between Australia and South Africa on Foxtel's new Fox Cricket channel attracted an average audience of just 205,000 viewers across the five major cities.

To put that in perspective, Foxtel scored higher ratings in recent weeks with its coverage of Gold Coast Supercars (212,000 viewers) and an NRL test between Australia and Tonga (231,000 viewers).

The figures represent an almost fourfold drop when contrasted with last season's ODI in Perth between Australia and England on Nine – the fifth game in a series England had wrapped up early – which attracted an average audience of 956,000 viewers for the free-to-air network.

@Luc    yesterday,  you didn't miss anything.  The game was over after the 3rd over when we were 3/6.  Looked even more pathetic in 4k!!

But, it is a sad day when you cannot see international cricket in free to air.  Why can't the ABC broadcast if nobody wants to pay for it on other fta channels?

Thanks for nothing Sutherland and co at CA.  You guys are the biggest cheats of the all. 😩

Cricket in Australia committing hara-kiri in quite spectacular fashion! A real danger of becoming a shadow or second tier sport, like the NBL, is becoming apparent. 

The cheating scandal struck a blow to the hearts of the rusted on test tragics - even when we performed poorly on the field most Aussies could at least hang their hat on our blokes not being cheats like those *insertteamofchoice*. Smith, Warner and Bancroft created and delivered a sporting identity crisis that many Aussie fans may never overcome. Even when we lost the aussie fan felt a little superior, after all we were the real stewards of the game. Now we stink and we have zero moral superiority to project. 

For the short form enthusiasts the ultimate sin has been committed - we are not winning and worse, we are not entertaining to watch. A steady procession of no-names taking us on a journey to nowhere. Now even this is locked up behind a pay-wall.

It's funny to think just a few short years ago people were saying that Australia would never go the way of the West Indies and collapse into a basket case after the decade plus of dominance. From here it looks like we have done a pretty good job of it and sown the seeds to lose the following generations. At a rough calculation my kids will see as much AFL footy in a fortnight as they will see cricket in a year. It doesn't take a genius to realise which game is going to capture the imagination. CA have killed the golden goose taking BBL off FTA I think. 

Oh well I'm sure all the CA hierarchy will still get plenty of boozy lunches laid on by their mates in the pay-TV and sports gambling games.