SB Acoustics SB13pfc25-8 build

Leo Veto

I had heard this driver was exceptional for the money so I bought a pair from LSK.I paired it with a Vifa tweeter and I must say the sound is terrific.Without exaggeration I would qualify the sound as being well above entry level Could be the worlds best affordable driver.I would like to hear of other opinions as I`am sure there must be a lot of great projects using this driver.

Picture All photo`s 1935.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hello

I've seen the SB20PFC and it looks like good value; I've used the SB16PFC and really like it.  It could work well with the little VIFA.

Did you use second order crossovers for both drivers, please?  It looks like a nice sounding combination.

Thank you

Geoff

Thanks for that info: I've used the SB16 with the VIFA BC25TG in a design by Michael Chua called "The Lark", a really nice little speaker.  I used to think Peerless made the best 'budget' drivers, but I think this label could now pass to the SBs, which are just a few $$ more.

I'm also interested in the SB20PFC: matching it with the VIFA TC9 might be interesting but it might also work better in a three way with the SB13, if I can find a design.  And the need for yet another pair of speakers...

Happy listening

Geoff

My system is essentially the Lark with a different tweeter and still using the fabulous SB driver.I am currently transferring from a 9.3 lit box to an 11.0 lit box to see if I get lower bass extension.I do expect to lose some punch but I am interested in the variation.Try and stick to a 2 way and have less headaches,remember a 2 1/2 way can be the best alternative.I am in Reservoir,what suburb are you in ?

Iv been having a look and am very interested in the coax version of this driver (especially the 6.5").

Models great with a sealed box with a f3 of 65ish which is perfect for home theatre duty (crossing to a sub at 80).

Heard anything about it?

11 minutes ago, Wozza_Lee said:

Iv been having a look and am very interested in the coax version of this driver (especially the 6.5").

Models great with a sealed box with a f3 of 65ish which is perfect for home theatre duty (crossing to a sub at 80).

Heard anything about it?

Hello

I haven't read any reviews or seen any builds, but the woofer part should sound as good as the SB16, or at least you would think so. It certainly looks the same. The only thing I've seen is a comment on the Parts Express forum to the effect that the tweeter might suffer from distortion as the woofer cone moves.

SB provides a suggested crossover on its web site, very useful. 

Unless space is really at a premium, I'd be inclined to do a two way with the SB19 tweeter as the two drivers together are $10 cheaper than the coax. You would have to work out a new crossover, but.

Geoff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, looks great and would sound great too, given that all Curt's designs are excellent. WAF might be a factor, but.

Someone with more skill than I could probably work out a crossover for a TM or MTM using the Uluwatu as the basis of the design.

Have built Curt's Tritrix and Slapshots, both excellent.

Cheers

Geoff

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:40 AM, Wozza_Lee said:

Iv used the sb20pfc (8") in a sealed 15L box with a tc9 full range driver above 600.

Sounds great, can't beat it for the price

Hi Wozza, may I ask how you worked out the crossover for that speaker? I tried modelling it in Xsim but couldn't get it to look right.

I wouldn't mind giving it a try

Thanks

Geoff

Not my design. I have done a few but not that one.

My reccemendation is to model it and the build it. Trial things and adjust accordingly. The simulation doesn't really tell you how somthing will sound despite all the best software/intentions

21 minutes ago, Wozza_Lee said:

Not my design. I have done a few but not that one.

My reccemendation is to model it and the build it. Trial things and adjust accordingly. The simulation doesn't really tell you how somthing will sound despite all the best software/intentions

Quite right, of course: I've modelled speakers in Xsim with the same parts as the original design and the results are quite different; e.g. I built Paul Carmody's Classix II, which sound very good, but the Xsim model looked pretty average.

Sealed box for the SB20 looks the way to go as the suggested vented cabinet is 2 cubic feet!

Geoff

Yeah it's a bit of a difficult driver to model, vented box needs to be relatively large to get down into the 40s. Sealed will sit around 75 Hz, so unless you are running a sub you will need a fair amount of eq to get the lower octaves.

My 2 way FAST/WAW speaker with the Tc9 has a 2nd order xo, luckily the drivers matched really well and I didnt need to attenuate either drivers. But they were built to run in a he theatre with a cross to sub at 80hz so the 74hz f3 wasn't an issue

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Bought the SB Acoustics SB13pfc25-8 as a replacement woofer for Polk T15 (original drivers are s**t and i managed to destroy one of the drivers), as they seemed to have similar Re and overal impedance. They sound now much better and they reach 55-60hz without problem. Bought the pair of SB for 60$, which is pretty cheap here, cheaper than Dayton ds 135 and I am sure the sb sounds better

• 1 month later...

The SBpfc  polymer frame series are really nice drivers for the price, although the frame shape is a pain to flush mount - so I didn't worry about it.

I'm very happy with the SB16pfc, I did a two way test build in a Mass Loaded Transmission Line with a Vifa BC25Tg tweeter, sounded really nice for about A$220 in drivers and crossover parts.

SB has since released round frame versions with the same specs as far as I can tell. They're good value too, much cheaper than the same sized Dayton equivalents.

Geoff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/01/2021 at 8:02 AM, Geoff Millar said:

SB has since released round frame versions with the same specs as far as I can tell. They're good value too, much cheaper than the same sized Dayton equivalents.

The round frame definitely makes cutting out the recess a lot easier! 

• 1 year later...

Just purchased a pair of these drivers for a Centre Speaker.

I've wanted to build a Centre to closer match my front mains for a while, but using a pair of the same mid-woofer presented a couple of hurdles that made me leave the idea on the back burner for a few years.

Recently took the project up again and after a bit of research have decided to go ahead with it again.

Tweeter will be the SB26ADC-C000-4, same as the front mains.

The front mains use the SB15NRXC30-4 mid-woofers as midrange drivers covering from 350Hz to 2500Hz.  I had looked at using 2 of the 8 ohm version of this driver in parallel for the centre speaker, but the box would have been too big and the combined sensitivity would have been a bit higher than the tweeter.

The solution this time around.  A pair of these SB13PFCR25-8 have the same cone material, same deep cone shape and bring the box size and sensitivity down to where I need them.  Looking forward to putting it all together in the next few weeks.