otagomed

4K projector recommendations

Hi,

I am building a house with a dedicated room for a small home theatre.  The size of the room is not huge about 5.5m by 4.5m and I am intending to put 130inch 16:9 screen.  As it will be a room just for the home theatre, I can keep it dark for the movie viewing.

I would like to get a 4K projector with hopefully good enough light to show HDR reasonably well (understanding that it will be no where near what TVs can do)

Would projectors in $20000-$30000 range such as Sony 760 and upcoming JVC NX-9 show clear difference in picture quality in my setting compared to those in $10000-$20000 range such as Sony 570 or JVC nx-7?

I can see that sony 760 and nx-9 are clearly a superior projectors but for the small setting I have I am not too sure if i will see any major differences in picture quality.  Any advice will be appreciated.

cheers!

Edited by otagomed

I wouldnt say because yours is a "smaller room" that projectors of caliber thinking about cant be used ? as long as can with the throw achieve the picture you want ... why not :) 

We have not seen the new JVCs to really say anything about them. the nx9 by all accounts will be an absolute stunner ! 

the sony are more tried tested in that even the 570 is really existing tech they have pulled together. I am not sure the 570 is really nx7 equivalent I would say n5 :)

the 760 keep in mind it doesn't get some of the things 570 fixes eg full bandwidth HDMI chipset. also I dont think the 760 still has dynamic iris ? though not sure 570es does either ? I think its the 870es that really fixes up all woes of earlier models.... likely be THE thing ... if wanting something all out :) it finally gets the ARF-F optics (from the 1100es) and would throw the ivc nx9 a mighty good challenge I suspect :)  

15 hours ago, :) al said:

I wouldnt say because yours is a "smaller room" that projectors of caliber thinking about cant be used ? as long as can with the throw achieve the picture you want ... why not :) 

We have not seen the new JVCs to really say anything about them. the nx9 by all accounts will be an absolute stunner ! 

the sony are more tried tested in that even the 570 is really existing tech they have pulled together. I am not sure the 570 is really nx7 equivalent I would say n5 :)

the 760 keep in mind it doesn't get some of the things 570 fixes eg full bandwidth HDMI chipset. also I dont think the 760 still has dynamic iris ? though not sure 570es does either ? I think its the 870es that really fixes up all woes of earlier models.... likely be THE thing ... if wanting something all out :) it finally gets the ARF-F optics (from the 1100es) and would throw the ivc nx9 a mighty good challenge I suspect :)  

Al, the 760ES has full 18gbps chipsets... It has laser dimming, no fixed or mechanical iris.

The 570ES has a full dynamic mechanical iris.

The 870ES has laser dimming and a full dynamic mechanical iris, and of course the ARC-F lens.

35 minutes ago, Javs said:

Al, the 760ES has full 18gbps chipsets... It has laser dimming, no fixed or mechanical iris.

perhaps there will be a 770ES or an an update 760ES to get the  dynamic iris (though wouldnt bank on it)

The 570ES has a full dynamic mechanical iris.

definitely for first time we have a sony wiht the goods. not held back spec wise one ways or other. definitely will be THE pick for people I would think and placed well finally at $10k mark even if costing a tad more than the projected JVC N5's price

The 870ES has laser dimming and a full dynamic mechanical iris, and of course the ARC-F lens.

definitely seems the SONY with the LOT even if doesnt 8k have killer optics of the  n9 still the ARC F optics are good and I suspect would throw  good challenge out to the jvcs ... though goodness knows what price. but if OP looking for an all out machine it would definitely be one worth considering I would think :) 

16 hours ago, otagomed said:

I would like to get a 4K projector with hopefully good enough light to show HDR reasonably well

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 10.28.08 pm.png

from the JVC training video thats been posted

the above chart gives good headsup to kind of output should be chasing for HDR and leaving something up the sleeve :)

On 04/11/2018 at 12:53 PM, betty boop said:

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 10.28.08 pm.png

from the JVC training video thats been posted

the above chart gives good headsup to kind of output should be chasing for HDR and leaving something up the sleeve :)

_

Thanks for posting the video. Just watching through it now. For these:

3.JPG.c2f404cc9e9e9b5981858161146de792.JPG

Why are they both priced at AU$11,999 if we are assuming the VPL-VW695 is the equivalent of the  VPL-VW570ES? ie: why the $2000 difference in the US market?

Maybe I am wrong about the Sony model equivalent ...

Edited by cindernat

38 minutes ago, cindernat said:

Maybe I am wrong about the Sony model equivalent ..

Should be comparing 570es with the jvc n5 :)

32 minutes ago, betty boop said:

Should be comparing 570es with the jvc n5 :)

Really? Ok, cheers...

while its great to contribute by throwing in a name.. ie casio pj.. if you explain your actual experience with the particular model it might reassure the op about your recommendation.

i see some negs that might effect the choice if this is the model in question

https://www.projectorreviews.com/casio/casio-xj-l8300hn-projector-review-summary/#pros