Zanders, if you get a chance can u show me how those sorbothane feet looks like? Thanks!

1 minute ago, jgunner said:

Zanders, if you get a chance can u show me how those sorbothane feet looks like? Thanks!

Looks like half a squash ball

image.thumb.jpg.7af3d1750c9abe6cc8aedc1dc0932f6f.jpg

The same as those used in my Townshend Rock mkII

Next try with a Bamboo ply board as they are much more solid, and apparently the ply construction works in a similar way as a constrained layer custom damping shelf.

18 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Looks like half a squash ball

image.thumb.jpg.7af3d1750c9abe6cc8aedc1dc0932f6f.jpg

Sorbothane is solid. Well jelly like. They use it in engines and equipment that moves and even insoles for shoes. Quick tip though buy it from a manufacturer or distributor that sell it for any purpose other than audio. It’s costs a fraction of the price. There is a mob in Melbourne that wouldn’t sell me direct and I had to go to a mechanic to pic up my sorbothane discs 😂😂

@blybo The logic behind my suggesting the Lack as compared to using bamboo is that the design does have good resonance damping properties of itself. But you're right, in this application bamboo is well worth a go.

2 hours ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

@blybo The logic behind my suggesting the Lack as compared to using bamboo is that the design does have good resonance damping properties of itself. But you're right, in this application bamboo is well worth a go.

Sure, and I don't doubt it works, but I thought the Lack lightweight table theory was for lightweight TT's like Rega. This beast looks to be a much more substantial TT and bamboo ply seems to be the new DIY damping wonder material.

@Sir Sanders Zingmore if you find the chopping board works better and you are looking for a furniture grade solution, check out these guys https://www.bamboomcases.com/#about to supply tiger bamboo ply, it looks awesome, and they will make virtually anything you want

?format=1500w

Sorry to keep coming back to this thread Trevor, but it's of particular interest to me ATM

Keep in mind Sorbothane is also available in multiple densities. The hemisphere's I own are quite firm and about 5cm wide/3cm tall. I'm going to buy some really soft pads (Duro 30) to go under the feet of my amp, and under a piece of Tiger Bamboo ply from the mob above to sit my tt on. Should look better than the hemishere's too.

@Sir Sanders Zingmore you might be able to get a disc of sorbothane to match the diameter of your TT's feet and try directly under the feet without a board

https://www.isolateit.com/bushing-and-washer-vibration-isolating/sorbothane-vibration-isolation-washer-0510001-0510003-0510050-0510051.html

Just be aware that the really soft sorbothane may stain some surfaces. Assume your cabinet has a nice clear coat finish?

Mackay Rubber was where I ordered mine from... 

$2 a disc. 

Edited by jakeyb77

3 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

Mackay Rubber was where I ordered mine from... 

$2 a disc. 

Did you have a choice of density? My reasoning being that softer should isolate better for reasonably light products, considering 4 broad pads to take the weight.

2 minutes ago, blybo said:

Did you have a choice of density? My reasoning being that softer should isolate better for reasonably light products, considering 4 broad pads to take the weight.

I can’t remember at this point. They were not really soft and not hard as such. They were very good over the phone but when I mentioned audio it was all foreign to them.

I’m sure they would have options. You can even order differing density sheets from memory. 

There was a seller on eBay a while ago selling pieces of Sorbothane.

I sent a message and he was happy to sell me a sheet of it which was more economical.

Rather than different densities he had different thicknesses.

2 hours ago, eman said:

There was a seller on eBay a while ago selling pieces of Sorbothane.

I sent a message and he was happy to sell me a sheet of it which was more economical.

Rather than different densities he had different thicknesses.

Is a square of it just as effective as the discs?

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:06 PM, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Update: 

I borrowed a Lack tabletop and some squash balls and sorbothane feet

Did one perform better than the other?

3 hours ago, Kaynin said:

Is a square of it just as effective as the discs?

No idea, but if the shape is the only difference I would expect the same result.

Sheet would be good under speakers etc. but you can cut it to what you want. Little squares, discs etc. 

Youd need a sharp razor blade. 

Its a bit gooey and with weight on it it can stick to surfaces. So as @blybo suggested protect anything you need to from slight staining.